Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Conference Call with Dana White

411's UFC 71 Pre-Fight Media Conference Call
    Posted by Damian Sarcuni on 05.24.2007

All the results from live Q&A with UFC president Dana White.

UFC president Dana White held a press conference over the phone today to promote the upcoming UFC 71 event. 411's Caleb Newby was on hand to get all the details:

On Mauricio "Shogun" Rua:

Dana confirmed that Shogun has been signed to a UFC contract. Dana feels that Chuck Liddell has not defeated all the challengers in the light heavyweight division and that Shogun is one of them. Although he doesn't have details at this time due to his travelling schedule, Dana stated someone would make an announcement on Saturday challenging the winner of Rampage/Liddell. The logical conclusion based on what was said (and implied) is that Shogun will be the one making the challenge.

On Diego Sanchez:

Prior to Sanchez's fight with Josh Koschek, he believed he had hepatitis C. Dana had planned to announce Diego's retirement at the weigh in for that fight, but extensive tests turned up negative. Sanchez's doctors did not know what the problem was and the day after the fight a hole formed on his thigh about the size of a coffee cup. The diagnosis turned out to be a staph infection. White said it will be interesting to see Diego's next fight back.

On Future UFC Events:

Dana stated that the UFC will return to New Jersey in October or November of this year.

On George St. Pierre VS Josh Koscheck

White confirmed that this fight would determine the number one contender in the UFC welterweight division. Despite the layoff of Matt Hughes and Matt Serra due to their participation in the Ultimate Fighter TV show, the winner of GSP/Koscheck will not have another fight in between their title shot.

On Rule Changes

Dana stated that there is still a strong desire for the UFC to allow four point attacks on the ground (knees). His first priority is to work with all the athletic commissions in every state to make this rule change, so that the rules won't vary from state to state. These changes will come much further down the line.
    ***No source checks!!!***

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    Chuck would get his ass kicked by shogun IMO. Nice find though man!

pepperoni is offline Associate Member
    its about time they allow knee strikes while on the ground, that will be a welcomed addition to the rules. Well we know if rampage beats CHuck that Shogun will for sure be the next champion. At least if CHuck wins people can debate who will win between Shogun and him, but we all saw shogun beat the piss out of rampage before, so there isn't too much room for arguments aginst Shogun beating him again.

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    Regardless, IMO Shogun should fight Babalu again before he gets his title shot.

Quil is offline Member
    Shogun v. Chuck or Page v. Wand III would be absolutely killer...

More from Dana, this time he talked to Sherdog, looks like someone is gonna walk into the cage after the fight and make it known someones ass gonna get kicked:

Dana White On the Record

May 24, 2007
    by Jake Rossen ([email protected])

With his Ultimate Fighting Championship methodically out-striking boxing in media relations, company head Dana White has little trouble finding a receptive audience for his particular brand of blunt dialogue.

Days before May 26's marquee fight between light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell (Pictures) and Quinton Jackson (Pictures) in Las Vegas, White fielded questions from journalists during a teleconference. Apart from his expected enthusiasm over the event, the figurehead had plenty to say about his seemingly decaying acquisition of PRIDE, the near-retirement of Diego Sanchez (Pictures), and whether controversial figures like Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar (Pictures) would be welcome additions to the Octagon.

PRIDE

The most frequently broached topic during the nearly two-hour exchange was Zuffa's ongoing problems sorting through the embers of Japan's PRIDE organization. After an April announcement that a deal to purchase their promotional rival had been completed, rumors circulated that due diligence had unearthed information that could wind up killing the transaction.

Citing a hectic travel schedule, White was non-committal about the fate of the buyout. "That company (Dream Stage Entertainment) is such a mess, we're still trying to figure out how we're going to do this whole thing," he said. "These guys are out of business for a reason. But one way or another, you'll see the top guys fighting the top guys. It's all a part of doing business. I'm not concerned about it at all."

Shogun and Silva to UFC?

Following enrollment by PRIDE alumni Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) and Mirko Filipovic (Pictures), White promised that Saturday's winner between Liddell and Jackson would have an imported challenger to contend with.

"Whoever wins this fight, somebody has already challenged them. We'll announce that on Saturday night."

Though he stopped short of naming Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, White imagined that Liddell is only two men short of "cleaning out" his division. "One of those guys would be Shogun. I think you'll see Chuck fight Shogun within the next year."

Rua's stablemate, former PRIDE champion Wanderlei Silva (Pictures), seems to have equal opportunity in the mix. "We gotta bring Wanderlei in and give him a fight in the UFC. Let's see who wins the fight this Saturday and (then we can) possibly build up a fight with Chuck or Quinton against Wanderlei."

Jackson/Liddell II

Of Saturday's rematch, which presents current MMA superstar Liddell with the opportunity to defeat everyone he's ever faced, White maintained that Jackson's athletic ability will make for a challenging fight.

"Rampage has KO power in both hands. He's got a great chin and he's a good wrestler. He's a very powerful guy. Stylistically, it's a dangerous fight for Chuck. I think it's going to be exciting. Both these guys have great wrestling skills, and Rampage isn't afraid of him. He'll go toe to toe with him, and he's beat Chuck before."

Discussing Jackson's average performance against Marvin Eastman (Pictures) in his February UFC debut, White believed that Jackson "fights to the level of his competition. He did just enough to beat Eastman. He KOed him, but it wasn't what everybody was expecting for his first fight in UFC.

"Thing is, Rampage wants to make a lot of money. He'll joke around and tell you how many kids he's got. He wants to win that title. He knows how much his life will change if he beats Chuck. I think we'll see a great fight because of that."

Earlier in the year, concern that Liddell's high profile may be catching up to him was fueled by his infamous Dallas morning show appearance, where he appeared disoriented. "The fame and PR and movies and TV shows, it gets to you," White said. "It catches up to you and kicks you in the nuts. And we saw that happen with his interview in Texas. We flew out there to see what was going on with him. We got him taken care of. But it happens to the best of them."

Boxing vs. MMA

Beginning with Floyd Mayweather's tirade against UFC athletes, the mainstream media has enjoyed perpetuating the ongoing boxer/MMA fantasy debate. Short of employing the 38-0 Mayweather, however, White isn't that intrigued by the clash of combat sports.

"I'm not really interested in that. Floyd Mayweather, obviously, may be greatest boxer ever. He may not put on the most exciting fights, but there's no doubt he's the most talented guy. A challenge from somebody like that means something."

Less meaningful to White are challenges from boxers like Kermit Clintron, who recently expressed a desire to fight in a mixed-style arena. "I'm not going to have some boxer come in that nobody knows. I know exactly what's going to happen when a boxer fights a UFC guy. It's going to be over like that. If Mayweather wants to do it, I'll do it with him, because I consider him to be one of the best boxers ever."

Sanchez: Staph Infection Could've Cost Him Koscheck Fight

On the topic of Hispanic fighters and their place in the flourishing promotion -- Roger Huerta (Pictures) recently made the cover of Sports Illustrated -- White touched on Diego Sanchez (Pictures)'s unexpectedly poor performance against Josh Koscheck (Pictures). The day before the bout, Sanchez was prepared to announce his retirement.

"The day of the weigh-ins, we were going to announce Diego's retirement because the test came up that he had Hepatitis C. We kept testing him. The doctors were baffled. They eventually decided that he doesn't have Hep C, but they didn't know what was wrong with him. So he goes in and fights that shitty, horrible fight that everyone saw."

The day after, Sanchez developed a "hole in his thigh the size of a coffee cup." He was diagnosed with a staph infection.

I am gonna be so ****ing psyched when Shogun walks into the Cage and lets Rampage know he is gonna have to kick his ass again. And if Chuck somehow wins, it will be funny watching the #1 205lber telling him he is there to stomp his ass.

I am going crazy waiting on tomorrow's fights...fuuuuuuuck!

TR'05 is offline Member
    ^^You and mean both. I haven't been this pumped for a UFC PPV in ages!!

I am curious to know the PPV buys this will generate. It seems, with the SI cover/ESPN cover/NBC coverage/FOXsports ad-placements this one could be huge!

woot woot!!

Who else is on this card?? I havent looked, anyone good?

Quote Originally Posted by rar1015
    Who else is on this card?? I havent looked, anyone good?
    Pretty decent card for a UFC if i don't say so myself, but the Rampage vs Chuck II has me shaking with nerves. I ****ing love it....

The card as it is now:

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=event.ppvhome

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Pretty decent card for a UFC if i don't say so myself, but the Rampage vs Chuck II has me shaking with nerves. I ****ing love it....

The card as it is now:

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=event.ppvhome

Figures, the site is blocked at my work. I'll check it out when i get home. Thanks man!

TR'05 is offline Member
    rar, if you're still @ work:

UFC 71: MAY 26, 2007 IN LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
    venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena

Main Card Bouts:
    -Chuck Liddell (#1 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Quinton Jackson (#8 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
    -Karo Parisyan (#7 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Josh Burkman
    -Ivan Salaverry vs. Terry Martin
    -Keith Jardine vs. Houston Alexander
    -Chris Leben vs. Kalib Starnes

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Din Thomas vs. Jeremy Stephens
    -James Irvin vs. Thiago Silva
    -Wilson Gouveia vs. Carmelo Marrero
    -Alan Belcher vs. Sean Salmon

Sepsis is offline Member
    im for rampage all the way. that guy has so much character that i hope he runs through the 205 division and is on top for a while. but, one fight at a time

Quote Originally Posted by TR'05

Main Card Bouts:
    -Chuck Liddell (#1 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Quinton Jackson (#8 Light Heavyweight in the World)*

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Wilson Gouveia vs. Carmelo Marrero

Thanks man!!

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    shoulda rather put what is up with fedors fate and his next fight

Quote Originally Posted by TR'05

Main Card Bouts:

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Wilson Gouveia vs. Carmelo Marrero Dont give a shit
    My picks in red

Word has it now that it will be Hendo that will challenge the winner of Chuck vs Rampage!

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    that would be intresting

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I agree accept I got josh, he is going to play the role of the spoiler.

TR'05 is offline Member
    I heard that about Hendo, also. Two belt champ, possibly?

$$TML 4 LIFE$$ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    My picks in red
    I agree with everything but i think chucks knockin rampage out in the 3rd round and I think kalib will beat White Trash Leben!!

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    yeah, I"m with you on that. I hope Chuck knocks him out. It would be so much better if he does. Then there will be a third!!!!!

I think Josh is gonna be Karo too.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter
    I agree accept I got josh, he is going to play the role of the spoiler.
    I like Burkman as well.

Thread Information