WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member

Sugestions on stretching to throw high kicks????

I do normal MMA stretching, and want to step it up if possible. Do any of you guys have any cool techniques or have any of you ever used any of the stretching mechanisms out there. Im looking to posibly get one.

Damn, all these views with no replys, whats going on??

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    i would say that the muscles that need flexibility to pull off a solid, controlled high kick would be the hamstrings, hips, groing and likely lower back. Stretching those hard and also practice, practice, practice would be the best solution. I know you likely had this covered anyway, but just incase...

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    I used to throw lots of high kicks in TKD, you need to do some splits, ham strech, i did use to device that strech your legs a bit further and i really like it, you know the one with a sort of lever in the middle that you turn.

Do some research on google TDK stretching its a bit hard to explain all the streches but they really do wonders

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    Yah start of with doing a split on the floor.. once u get that mastered... do a split standing up; put your leg up and grab your toes with your arm like a ballerina....

They have those machines that the previous poster mentioned, they use those in karate classes, to speed things along.. but all it really takes a little dedication because all it really is, is a 5min thing maybe twice a day thing.

Im having a hard time, I dont think Im genetically gifted in this ***artment. LOL

Mark Yager is offline Junior Member
    I have a century leg stretcher and I think it's jacking up my knees bad. After using it for a couple months i started having knee problems and theyve been gettin worse. Seems like it puts more pressure on the side of the knee than any where else on the legs. I'm going to try to rig it up some how to fix it. But it has helped my high kicks, hopfully I'll still be able to walk to use them, lol.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm1704
    i would say that the muscles that need flexibility to pull off a solid, controlled high kick would be the hamstrings, hips, groing and likely lower back. Stretching those hard and also practice, practice, practice would be the best solution. I know you likely had this covered anyway, but just incase...
    Thats exactly right those muscles need to be flexible plus the hip muscles also but the key is not to overstretch or else any tear or problem in these muscles could literally be the end of your high kicking days. I always did taekwondo as a kid and continued into kickboxing then muay thai and BJJ and i kept my flexibility all the way during my early twenties.

Then after 25 and leaving martial arts for like a year i returned and almost tore my groin because i thought i could still be as flexible as i was back then!! Luckily it wasnt a tear but still a very painful stretch which set me back several MONTHS!!

If you a little stiff now or even if u are flexible now please please dont ever ever ever try to push yourself during stretching, stay safe and u will get there, but try to overdo it and you will be done for.

1-Make sure u are fully fully warmed up, preferrably do your static stretching after training when u are very warm and flexible.

2-Do dynamic stretches during your warmup for training and warm up into your desired range of motion for training. What i mean is dont do long static stretches before training because u are not warmed up enough and because you dont want to be flexible beyond your desired range of motion during training, that is bad when throwing strikes.

3-After training do all your stretches and as you advance slowly then u can move to passive let somebody u trust help u push further into the stretch and make sure they go slow and listen to u also to see how far u can go.

4-Stay hydrated.

Thanks for the great info.

twosocks40 is offline Member
    Those stretch machines can mess up your knees. I have noticed knee pain from those as well. Just stretch everyday and keep practicing the kicks. It just takes time.

Thread Information