TR'05 is offline Member

Breaking News: Gracie Fails Drug Test, Suspended

Surprising...

Thursday, June 14, 2007
    by Josh Gross ([email protected])

Mixed martial arts legend Royce Gracie (Pictures), best known as the slender gi-wearing Brazilian who twisted oversized competitors into knots during the early days of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, tested positive for traces of Nandrolone , a commonly used anabolic steroid , following his decision win over Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures), June 2 in Los Angeles, the California State Athletic Commission revealed Thursday.

Gracie (14-3-0) has been suspended from June 2, 2007 through May 30, 2008, and is fined $2,500, the maximum penalty by the CSAC. The 40-year-old member of the legendary fighting family has until July 13 to appeal the suspension to the CSAC.

Calls to Gracie's representatives were not immediately returned.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Get you rain gear ready and your rubber boots because a shit storm is coming fast..sit back, grab a diet pepsi and watch all the brainwashed BJJ people defend this one.

***No source checks!!!***

TR'05 is offline Member
    ^^LOL.

great line!

doolo is offline Associate Member
    I always tell all my mma watching buddies that most of the fighters sauce their faces off if nto all of them and they never believe me cause lots of them arnt very muscular. I tell them they dont have big muscles cause they dont pump weights and there are a gazillion different types of steroids , some dont build a whole lot of muscle. I love it when they get caught.

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    I suspect he was on nandrolone , because all the years of BJJ wear and tear on the joints. Nandrolone, heals the joint. He is getting up there in age.

orton4 is offline Member
    yup he was on nandrolone .... its funny too cause if you listen to the interviews and everything leading up tot he fight they say how great his physique looked... ha poor royce gracie

THE JU-ICE is offline Associate Member
    At his age in that serious sport its the obvious answer for anyone wanting to stick around. PERIOD!!!!! Get rid of the testing or make it acceptable.

Mark Yager is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THE JU-ICE
    At his age in that serious sport its the obvious answer for anyone wanting to stick around. PERIOD!!!!! Get rid of the testing or make it acceptable.
    I agree. Most professional athletes do it anyway. The thing that sucks is all the anti steroid people and people who think Barry Bonds is just the black eye of baseball and most athletes don't juice are going pitch a bitch about it. It's unrealistic to think they will ever quit testing but it's too bad people have to make such a big deal about someone getting caught.

Murillo: How come you have such a hard on for BJJ? Everyone knows it work when the fight goes to the ground.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Royce gracie is probably one of the "richer" gracies given his history of basically making BJJ popular in the states by winning the early UFC's.

A guy with his funds should have at least gotten professonal guidance on which steroid to use if he was gonna be tested. Deca just isnt a right choice!

orton4 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KAEW44
    Royce gracie is probably one of the "richer" gracies given his history of basically making BJJ popular in the states by winning the early UFC's.

A guy with his funds should have at least gotten professonal guidance on which steroid to use if he was gonna be tested. Deca just isnt a right choice!
    ur right i was thinking the same thing that shits in your system for awhile

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Royce has a new nickname, Royce "Hoids" Gracie

Honestly though, if i were ever to consider a false positive test it would be in this case. It is just hard to believe he did this. Royce may not be the best at anything anymore but his work ethic is unquestionable and I think this could be a false positive?

We shall see in the coming days.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Joe Dic is offline Junior Member
    ^^^^^ya he'll claim it was nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a pain-relieving balm for the arthritis.

TR'05 is offline Member
    or that he needed it for his sore joints.

millionairemurph is offline Senior Member
    wow that is some news. Whats wrong with bjj?

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Why use Deca - detected in the body for way too long - if he did use it he is pretty dumb or got some bad advice or gear ( not what he was told )

juiceball44 is offline Associate Member
    could have been using NPP short acting deca

Kimo27 is offline Associate Member
    ehh even though he got caught he was fined 2,500 dollers, which is chump change considering that he made 300,000 of fight with saku lol.

twosocks40 is offline Member
    We have a Gracie school here in my town. I'm gonna go over there and find out who his source is, we know his stuff is REAL!

uponone23 is offline Associate Member
    their are better things out their (and less detectable) than deca to heal joints.. And when you are getting 300000 a fight and people are buying franchises in your schools left and right i think he could have afforded some better advice..

I am not by any mean a bjj nut hugger but I would have to lean towards a faulty test on this one.. Or he and his whole camp are way dumber than I ever thought possible lol..

Mark Yager is offline Junior Member
    The stuff is detectable for a year and a half so maybe when he did the cycle he wasn't planning on fighting in that time frame but the $300,000 changed his mind.

Thread Information