peace_frog is offline Associate Member

Anyone watch EliteXC?

Nick Diaz barely won his fight over Mike Aina. One judge did have it 30-27 but I think that was a crock myself. Split decision on the card, but either way Diaz got rocked a couple times, once going to the ground. I shouldnt say barely, but it was hardly a run away. But he was like a friggin fly in your face all night. How annoying but great stradegy, racking up points and staying active and in position. Seemed to get stronger as the fight went on but looked dead for the first round and a half, didnt really have anything at all on his punches. He looked good from the ground. Mike Aina had some major punching power and relied on that all night. He wouldnt have lasted long on the ground had Diaz just put him there often and early. Still a decent fight.

The Robbie Lawler vs. Ninja Rua(shoguns brother) was a pretty good fight. Ninja thought Lawler was unconditioned and would wear out. Just the opposite happened. Ninja did a great job mixing up leg kicks and punches.Though the kicks where his best weapon. Lawler defended the punches well It was nearly all stand up the whole time. Lawer is a better wrestler anyways, but he avoided the takedown very well. Lawler nearly played 'rope a dope' just letting Rua go off on him at times, but defending and using some offense. Then when Ninja was tired, Lawler destroyed him. Holy hell does that man have insane power. He was nearly lau***ng durring the last few minutes before dropping Rua when he just knew Rua was out of gas and had nothing on his punches. "Ninja" didnt even stay in the ring for the decision, he was being helped out of the arena at that point. Wow did he get smashed.

I was hoping for more stand up from the girls fight, it was my first time seeing an MMA girls showdown. Gina Carano is a real pretty girl. It went to the ground fast with Gina on her back(i forget the other girls name) and out of nowhere Carano just flips the other girl over, gets her back, beats on her head a bit and then choked her out with little time left in the first.

I gotta say, for MMA, most leagues are certainly fun to watch. But EliteXC has the worst hosts (bill goldberg being one and two other guys, I think one is an 'expert') and boy are they dull as shlt to listen to. Theres hardly much of a crowd compared to say UFC(it was in hawaii anyways, so that could be part of it). One way that makes it interesting is you can here every little thing happen in the ring on the mics. Thats a small bonus for such a second rate show though. The fighters come to fight, but the commentators and the set up is just mind numbing. But the match-ups were still Ok, and I love the sport enough that Id watch it again. It was good to watch a couple of people Id never seen before and a few that I havent seen in a while.
    Last edited by peace_frog; 09-20-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Thread Information