Thread: Jeet Kun Do ?

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member

Wink Jeet Kun Do ?

Hi guys i got a school of chinese boxing that opened near my house, i visited the place and its really not that bad, the teacher has been practicing since 1976.

The classes are based on respect and i really like is attitude and the whole feeling of the class itself.

Anyone ever studied Jeet Kun Do can give me feedback on the art?

I did tae kwon do, and karate when i was younger, i know that jeet kun do doesn't have any forms which is good because i dont like those.

Everything else around my place is TKD and Karate with muscial forms yagggg.

Also how hard would it be on the lower back, my rehab is doing very well but i don't want to reinjure myself.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Actually I did not practice JKD but I use to train with guys who do.
    If your choice is among the three disciplines above mentioned, I would go for JKD.
    Regarding your back, if you have a normal flexibility and lowering your back backward does not hurt, I think you won't have problems.
    In any case, I would inform the teacher about this and let him suggest you. Perhaps, he might want you not to do some exercises at first.
    Good Luck.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Actually I did not practice JKD but I use to train with guys who do.
    If your choice is among the three disciplines above mentioned, I would go for JKD.
    Regarding your back, if you have a normal flexibility and lowering your back backward does not hurt, I think you won't have problems.
    In any case, I would inform the teacher about this and let him suggest you. Perhaps, he might want you not to do some exercises at first.
    Good Luck.
    Thank you very much no i dont have issues with bending in any way, ligements are treated with prolotherapy and going very well. Until they are strong enough i have to do everything light.

I am on the Vince Gironda 8 X 8 routine i lift intense with little reste between sets, but i dont lift really heavy.

Also is the sparring full contact, i saw that they are equip pertty much like in TKD for sparring.

Blog Entries
    didnt bruce lee invent jkd?.....it is the original mixed martial art in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    didnt bruce lee invent jkd?.....it is the original mixed martial art in my opinion.
    Yes he did this is why its so interesting, and the closes thing to my house that ressembles MMA

MadSweeps is offline New Member
    I train JKD and BJJ. JKD can vary greatly from school to school. We train some of the wing chun stuff but we also get alot of knife, stick and dirty boxing also. Also, you mentioned live sparring. You generally can't go wrong with live sparring.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MadSweeps View Post
    I train JKD and BJJ. JKD can vary greatly from school to school. We train some of the wing chun stuff but we also get alot of knife, stick and dirty boxing also. Also, you mentioned live sparring. You generally can't go wrong with live sparring.
    I will have to wait and see because i injured a bunch of ligaments in my lower back and went to the chiro and others for many years with all the adjustments that made my ligaments laxity even worst, now i am doing prolo and everything is coming good again, the upper back also suffered because to remove pain from the lower back i had to change my posture and that screwed everthing else.

But from what you said it really looks cool so guess i will need to re-evaluate in December of this year to see how well my body is doing before starting the class, teacher says its a success so he will be adding more classes in the near future.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I trained BJJ and Judo for 6 years, while I was working at a retail store before I graduated I met a guy who was about to be certified as some JKD master type thing, not really sure exactly...but we were fking around and his JKD shit seemed pretty legit, it didn't seem like he needed me to "assist" in his actions and movements like so many other martial arts that require participation of both people to be effective.

Either way it wouldn't hurt to know it...unless you're looking to be some hardcore pro fighter, there really isn't a reason to not do it. I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    I trained BJJ and Judo for 6 years, while I was working at a retail store before I graduated I met a guy who was about to be certified as some JKD master type thing, not really sure exactly...but we were fking around and his JKD shit seemed pretty legit, it didn't seem like he needed me to "assist" in his actions and movements like so many other martial arts that require participation of both people to be effective.

Either way it wouldn't hurt to know it...unless you're looking to be some hardcore pro fighter, there really isn't a reason to not do it. I'd say go for it.
    Thanks for the feedback, no i am not looking to be a pro hardcore fighter at 37 years old i really want to get back in shape, lose 30 pounds LOL and be flexible, i have to go with what is available around my area and to be honest there is not much.

There was a sport karate place that was suppose to have an XMMA guy teach MMA but that never happened and they charge way to much for the karate classes like 70$ per month for 2 45 minutes class a week, then there is TKD which i don't want to do anymore, and shotokan karate and kenpo karate mixed with musical forms.

So JKD seems to be right up my alley.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, no i am not looking to be a pro hardcore fighter at 37 years old i really want to get back in shape, lose 30 pounds LOL and be flexible, i have to go with what is available around my area and to be honest there is not much.

There was a sport karate place that was suppose to have an XMMA guy teach MMA but that never happened and they charge way to much for the karate classes like 70$ per month for 2 45 minutes class a week, then there is TKD which i don't want to do anymore, and shotokan karate and kenpo karate mixed with musical forms.

So JKD seems to be right up my alley.
    If those are your choices, I'd definitely go with JKD! It's a shame how all these gyms popped up along with the UFC hysteria and now you can't get decent training for less than $150/month. Back when I was training I was paying $200 for 3 months and we trained 6 nights a week for 2 hours. It was awesome, now it's all about $$$...I'd actually like to see MMA fade away as a popular sport so maybe I can afford to get some decent training in when I'm in the rugby off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    If those are your choices, I'd definitely go with JKD! It's a shame how all these gyms popped up along with the UFC hysteria and now you can't get decent training for less than $150/month. Back when I was training I was paying $200 for 3 months and we trained 6 nights a week for 2 hours. It was awesome, now it's all about $$$...I'd actually like to see MMA fade away as a popular sport so maybe I can afford to get some decent training in when I'm in the rugby off-season.
    Well it will fade away at some point dont worry, right now its big but remember how karate was big in the eighties, hell martial arts where big in the eighties then it fadded away.

I am sure that at some point they will lower there prices, after all its not everybody that has the $$$ to pay for this.

Jeet Kune do is 55$ per month for 2 classes per week one hour each, so its not that bad you get 8 classes for that price.

The kenpo place has kickboxing but they are to much involved with JKA competition and you need to learn weapons for your belts which i dont like at all, plus they are more for kids since they do musical forms and flashy kicks, its 50$ per month and you can go to has many has 6 karate class per week if you want to.

The black belt cost 1000$ that is the downfall.

MadSweeps is offline New Member
    Stay away from any place that charges for belts. Sounds to me like you would be a good fit for JKD. Its can be a solid SD system if taught that way and is definitely fun and good exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by MadSweeps View Post
    Stay away from any place that charges for belts. Sounds to me like you would be a good fit for JKD. Its can be a solid SD system if taught that way and is definitely fun and good exercise.
    I never beleive in grading or belts, they only prove that you have completed what you needed to get the grade.

People are impress when someone says he is a black belt in something, well the only people that impress me are the ones that have it in BJJ and Kyokushin karate because they are hard and legit martial arts, the rest of the MA i am unimpressed.

You can get a black belt in tae kwon do today in less then a year and a half, with a few private class and all, this is why so many people have a black belt in TKD theses days but are worth nothing when you spar with them.

ScotchGuard is offline Senior Member
    I used to run a karate school for 10 years. Charging for belts is an awesome revenue generator. We did belong to a national organization so I had to pay registration for people being promoted. It was a great excuse to charge. If you want to go to the school you have to pay to play. I'm way more concerned for your back. To generate any power you have to twist your back in a round house kick. Keep your kicks low. Lower the better on your back. JKD is really fast so be careful that the torque through the hips doesn't tear anything up in your back. Make sure stances are firmly planted so you can get support through the ground. Have fun and stop if it hurts.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard View Post
    I used to run a karate school for 10 years. Charging for belts is an awesome revenue generator. We did belong to a national organization so I had to pay registration for people being promoted. It was a great excuse to charge. If you want to go to the school you have to pay to play. I'm way more concerned for your back. To generate any power you have to twist your back in a round house kick. Keep your kicks low. Lower the better on your back. JKD is really fast so be careful that the torque through the hips doesn't tear anything up in your back. Make sure stances are firmly planted so you can get support through the ground. Have fun and stop if it hurts.
    I been weightlifting now for 6 months straight, since my prolotherapy treatments it made a world of difference, before i had to stop due to pain when i was going to the chiro and other who did not understand that my back pain came from the ligaments that where laxed.

I am deadlifting nothing to brag about i am at around 150 pounds and can do 3 sets of 8-10 reps with good forms.

Each weight training session i try to do exercises to work my core muscles along with ab work.

On shoulder day i do standing db press like in the P90X program with 40 pounds db and really get the core going, standing lateral raise and standing upwright rows.

On arms day i do standing bb curls and standing alerated curls, standing french press

I deadlift once a week on leg day.

For back i start with bent bb rows

So you see i involve the core muscles has much has i can with the lower back muscles and the abs.

But still i will re-evaluate all this when the time comes to get back into martial arts, right now i am going to go in tai chi, recommended by my medical doctor.

Either way at some point being 37 if i can lift weights and stay at a good BF% i will be happy.

tobetutz is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    Hi guys i got a school of chinese boxing that opened near my house, i visited the place and its really not that bad, the teacher has been practicing since 1976.

The classes are based on respect and i really like is attitude and the whole feeling of the class itself.

Anyone ever studied Jeet Kun Do can give me feedback on the art?

I did tae kwon do, and karate when i was younger, i know that jeet kun do doesn't have any forms which is good because i dont like those.

Everything else around my place is TKD and Karate with muscial forms yagggg.

Also how hard would it be on the lower back, my rehab is doing very well but i don't want to reinjure myself.
    Chinese Boxing and JKD are two different things. I would find out which one it is first..........
    Last edited by tobetutz; 09-16-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Question is too personal

JUSTamazing is offline New Member
    $1000 for a belt!? RIP OFF, its already enough to train and pay monthly for years to get to that status. The belt should be free

ACJiujitsu is offline Junior Member
    Tim Boetsch,UFC fighter and contender uses JKD as his main style. So does the guy that just lost to swick, Ben something. He trains at ATT in Florida. Its definetly a good martial art.

Thread Information