yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member

Thumbs up Ronda Rousey rocks

Anyone who still thinks women MMA sucks should watch that women fight.

Last night Her and Misha Tate headlined the main event for StrikeForce, the whole PPV was great.

But that fight stole the show.

stpete is offline Banned
    I'm watching it right now on Showtime West. That chinese guy who suffered that nasty cut above his eye is tough. Glad the ref didn't stop it when asked. Waiting to watch the women.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had seen a lot of the fight last night on the web, but I gotta tell you seeing it in HD on a 56 screen really was a little much. While it was a great fight these damned competitors who refuse to tap out when their arms/joint capsules are being broken/destroyed will be the one thing keeping MMA from ever gaining wide acceptance. Its really sad too see someone who values loosing face over a potential career ending injury and if they are too short sighted to make the call they really need to look into having others besides just the ref (who often may not have a good enough angle) have the ability to pull the plug.

Along with every other aspect of the deal its also unfair to the victor who is instead of being able to dance in victory is left to either apologize or be hated by the audience for doing what they were forced to do. In this fight you could clearly see Rhonda was disturbed and distraght at watching the replay and seeing what had transpired. However when she was interviewed since she said she did not feel that bad about it she was booed, like its her fault that Tate would not tap either time.

I am sure some of you will say I am a wimp, however I just don't think this makes for good entertainment particularly not in female MMA which is already struggling for acceptance.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 03-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.

txnhb is offline Associate Member
    How is an a broken different from seeing let's say a boxing fight like Margarito vs Cotto 1?

Perhaps to some its not that much different, and I did not see the fight you are reffering to, and I can only assume you did not see this one. However to answer your question, In a boxing match a person is usually hit with a punch or a combination of punches and may suffer a bunch of cuts that appear severe or grusome however this usually happens very rapidly (so that the injured fighter or anyone else has no chance to intelligently judge and stop it) however, after the series of punches is delivered if the cuts are too severe and will lead to further debilitating injury or if it appears that facial bones ( like an orbital socket) are broken then the ref at any time can put the fight on hold and get a medical opinion and the fight will be stopped. In addition any serious damage occuring to the brain etc fortunately is not visable to the audience. Now the ringside doctor may allow a fight to continue to the point where its pretty disgusting but the whole idea is to limit career or health threatining injuries.

Conversly in an situation like an armbar seconds or in this case probably 3-4 seconds transpired after the joint gave way and bent 30° rearward and she refused to submit and where you could clearly see the arm being bent far past its limits of movement with Tate grimicing in severe pain and refusing to tap rather twisting her body around to try to escape while her arm continued to twist now to the side with the entire joint capsule turning black and blue, it was very fortunate that the arm was not damaged much worse than it was as the joint was very close to a total seperation.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Tate showed a lot of balls in that fight when she wouldn't give up. The ref should've stopped the fight before her arm broke though. There was no getting out of that and the ref knew she was in a lot of pain.

txnhb is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive
    Perhaps to some its not that much different, and I did not see the fight you are reffering to, and I can only assume you did not see this one. However to answer your question, In a boxing match a person is usually hit with a punch or a combination of punches and may suffer a bunch of cuts that appear severe or grusome however this usually happens very rapidly (so that the injured fighter or anyone else has no chance to intelligently judge and stop it) however, after the series of punches is delivered if the cuts are too severe and will lead to further debilitating injury or if it appears that facial bones ( like an orbital socket) are broken then the ref at any time can put the fight on hold and get a medical opinion and the fight will be stopped. In addition any serious damage occuring to the brain etc fortunately is not visable to the audience. Now the ringside doctor may allow a fight to continue to the point where its pretty disgusting but the whole idea is to limit career or health threatining injuries.

Conversly in an situation like an armbar seconds or in this case probably 3-4 seconds transpired after the joint gave way and bent 30° rearward and she refused to submit and where you could clearly see the arm being bent far past its limits of movement with Tate grimicing in severe pain and refusing to tap rather twisting her body around to try to escape while her arm continued to twist now to the side with the entire joint capsule turning black and blue, it was very fortunate that the arm was not damaged much worse than it was as the joint was very close to a total seperation.
    My friend I did see the fight. Since you seem to know a little bit of anatomy and physiology I don't see how you neglect brain injury. While it is true that a broken bone along with torn ligaments etc happens faster and has the potential to heal it is not as detrimental as brain injuries. A fighter in either situation does not want to give up. Either way they are both violent sports.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "neglect brain injury"? What I said is that brain injury usually goes undetected by those watching a fight so it does not have the same ability to affect the marketability of the sport as seeing someones arm being bent in ways nature never intended. Too me brain injury from repeated trauma has of course always been a sad fact although the sport has done a great deal to address and minimize it over the last couple of decades.

I understand completely a fighter not wanting to give up, this is why I would like to see a panel of say three qualified individuals with the ability to stop the fight anytime a serious injury like this has occured.

Anyway I can certainly understand and respect your view of the situation, I just do not agree with it.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree with ffm.
    I do mma for fun and to stay in shape, so I follow ufc and have been for a long time. I was excited for this fight but once I saw the first almost complete arm bar, I had a feeling the second was not to far away. Once she was in position tate couldnt do a thing. Many of you say she showed a lot of balls for not giving up, which I agree it takes courage but what about stupidity or ignorance on her part. She was stuck, it was only a matter of time before her arm was going to snap! Did she think after her arm broke she was going to defeat ronda with one arm. I do not believe she was thinking about her career. Yes, pride got in the way of this. She could be out for a year or longer becuase of her so called balls not to tap. I do feel bad that this happened to tate and for having to view an arm bend that way was a little unsettling for me.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Rhonda is pretty fvcken hot @135... a little pudgy at 145, but the new body is awesome

a decent fight, it will really take an evolved striker in womens MMA to beat her. Right now, aside from Cyborg, womens "striking" is a bit weak to hold off someone as charge forward as Rousey so Im sure she will hold the belt for a while

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    I agree with ffm.
    I do mma for fun and to stay in shape, so I follow ufc and have been for a long time. I was excited for this fight but once I saw the first almost complete arm bar, I had a feeling the second was not to far away. Once she was in position tate couldnt do a thing. Many of you say she showed a lot of balls for not giving up, which I agree it takes courage but what about stupidity or ignorance on her part. She was stuck, it was only a matter of time before her arm was going to snap! Did she think after her arm broke she was going to defeat ronda with one arm. I do not believe she was thinking about her career. Yes, pride got in the way of this. She could be out for a year or longer becuase of her so called balls not to tap. I do feel bad that this happened to tate and for having to view an arm bend that way was a little unsettling for me.
    Well i remember Mir vs Nog, Nog did not tape and got is arm broken, very stupid for a guy with that much experience.

Thread Information