Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse

Thread: Complete UFC 1 now on YouTube

  1. #1
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    567

    Complete UFC 1 now on YouTube

    If you haven't seen those first ones, you won't believe how much the sport has changed. Video here.

    Despite what they claim even in the intro to the linked telecast, there were rules, all the way back to UFC 1, just not many. No biting, no eye-gouging, no blows to the voicebox, no fish-hooking and no small joint locks. I think that's all.

    Eight-man single elimination tournament, seven fights, all in one day, no weight classes, and only one referee. Big John. No rounds and no time limits. No judges because it had to finish in the cage.

    Win three fights in the same day and take home $50,000. The video is an hour and a half but the seven fights took less than a combined 13 minutes.

    Fighters wore pretty much whatever they wanted, so long as they could argue their "style" permitted it. Gloves or no, shoes or barefoot, gi or gym shorts or boxing trunks.

    At UFC 4, Keith Hackney busted Joe Son six or eight times right in the wedding tackle. To his credit, not only did Son not pass out, he didn't tap either. At UFC 8, Kimo Leopoldo was dense enough to wear a topknot into the cage to fight Royce Gracie. Gracie accepted the offer and took Kimo's topknot home with him.

    Day wuz real men back in dem days.

    I didn't get interested in the UFC until about UFC 50. At the time I was living in a shithole where there was little to do for entertainment apart staging camel spider races and watching Armed Forces radio & TV (affectionately known as AFARTS), which carried the UFCs live. But the military also maintained a media server with a shit-ton of bootlegged music and movies and TV shows on it, including all the UFCs from #1 up until then. So I stared putting the UFCs on a thumb drive and bringing them home to watch on my laptop when I was off duty.

    I'd seen a few of the 'modern' UFCs, during the heyday of Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Tim Silvia, and Randy Couture, and I had romanticized the UFC as the closest thing possible to a back-alley brawl. Except I thought it had too many rules. I mean there's no "rounds" in a proper street fight, is there?

    And then I watched all the early UFCs and figured out the new rules for the better part were necessary to make the sport 'sustainable,' like no crotch shots or kicks to the head of a downed fighter. It'd be tough to grow a stable of commercially profitable fighters if you had rules enough to let them be killing each other in the ring (although I'm sure some, like Royce Gracie, would've been cool with that).

    Then at UFC 5, Dan Severn and Royce Gracie, both master grapplers, went 36 minutes in the final before the powers that be created a new rule on the spot and called it a draw. Both the fighters were so utterly spent the first time I watched it I remember thinking, "What if they both just curl up into a ball and go to sleep?" Because under the rules they had then, the match timer would have kept running while they both caught some Zs.

    That wasn't the first UFC fight that would have been a better spectacle if there'd been a rest period after every five or 10 minutes, but it was the one that proved it would be a better sport for the viewers if they did.

    So that one convinced me. It's a better sport with rounds than without.

    But I still disagree about head butts, 12-6 elbow strikes and hair pulling.

    But watch the video. It' s unrecognizable as the foundation for the current UFC. Except it's got Big John in the ring.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

  2. #2
    redz's Avatar
    redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    13,730
    Original rules I believe were only three....

    No bitting
    No eye gouging
    No small joint manipulation


    Fish hooking and throat shots are and have always been legal.

  3. #3
    cylon357's Avatar
    cylon357 is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    420
    Blog Entries
    1
    This is around the time I started watching UFC. Had to rent the tapes from Blockbuster (yeah, they are that old. Me too!)

    Big John McCarthy took no sh!t from anyone.

    I thought 'no fishhooking' wasn't a rule until around 5 or 6? Basically, the one after Tank Abbot's first appearance. IIRC, he fought that Russian guy... Oleg Taktarov, the one that has been in a few movies. Anyhow, Tank kept slipping his thumb up into the corner of the guys mouth, trying to move his head. Subtle but there all the same.

    I also remember the first 'superfight' between Shamrock and Severn (at least I think it was the first). That was the definition of boring.

    Good times tho!

  4. #4
    cylon357's Avatar
    cylon357 is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    420
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Original rules I believe were only three....

    No bitting
    No eye gouging
    No small joint manipulation


    Fish hooking and throat shots are and have always been legal.
    I thought fish hooking was made illegal but I'm totally behind the times on the UFC.

    Oh and check out your avatar! It is all upright!

  5. #5
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    567
    2017 Unified Rules of MMA “FOULS”

    1. Butting with the head:
    The head may not be used as a striking instrument in any fashion. Any use of the head as a striking instrument whether head to head, head to body or otherwise is illegal.

    2. Eye gouging of any kind:
    Eye gouging by means of fingers, chin, or elbow is illegal. Legal strikes or punches that
    contact the fighter's eye socket are not eye gouging and shall be considered legal attacks.

    3. Biting or spitting at an opponent:
    Biting in any form is illegal. A fighter must recognize that a referee may not be able to physically observe some actions, and must make the referee aware if they are being bit during an exhibition of unarmed combat.

    4. Fish Hooking:
    Any attempt by a fighter to use their fingers in a manner that attacks their opponent's mouth, nose or ears, stretching the skin to that area will be considered “Fish hooking”. Fish hooking generally is the placing of fingers into the mouth of your opponent and pulling your hands in opposing directions while holding onto the skin of your opponent.

    5. Hair pulling:
    Pulling of the hair in any fashion is an illegal action. A fighter may not grab a hold of his opponent's hair to control their opponent in any way. If a fighter has long hair, they may not use their hair as a tool for holding or choking in any fashion

    6. Spiking the opponent to the canvas onto the head or neck (pile-driving):
    A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet towards the sky with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent’s body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas.

    7. Strikes to the spine or the back of the head. The spine includes the tailbone. The back of the head is defined as the area starting at the crown of the head and running directly down the centerline of the head with a one inch variance to each side. The entire rear portion of the neck is also illegal to attack starting at the occipital junction and stopping at the top of the trapezius. From the trapezius muscle down the
    spine is protected to the tailbone.

    8. Throat strikes of any kind and/or grabbing the trachea:
    No directed throat strikes are allowed. A directed attack would include a fighter pulling his opponents head in a way to open the neck area for a striking attack. A fighter may not gouge their fingers or thumb into their opponent's neck or trachea in an attempt to submit their opponent. If during stand up action of a fight a punch is thrown and the punch lands in the throat area of the fighter, this shall be viewed as a clean and legal blow.

    9. ** Fingers outstretched toward an opponent’s face/eyes:
    In the standing position, a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent’s face/eyes, will be a foul. Referees are to prevent this dangerous behavior by communicating clearly to fighters. Fighters are directed to close their fists or point their fingers straight up in the air when reaching toward their opponent.

    10. Downward pointing elbow strike (12 to 6):
    The use of a linear “straight up straight down” elbow strike is prohibited. Any variation of this straight up and down linear elbow strike makes the strike legal. Any arc, or any angle change from straight up to straight down makes the strike legal. Any variation of position does not alter the legality of the strike.

    11. Groin attacks of any kind:
    Any attack to the groin area including, striking, grabbing, pinching or twisting is illegal. It should be clear that groin attacks are the same for men and women.

    12. *Kneeing and/or Kicking the head of a grounded opponent:
    A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and soles of the feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. A single knee, arm, makes the fighter grounded without having to have any other body part in touch with the fighting area floor. At this time, kicks or knees to the head will not be allowed.

    13. *Stomping of a grounded fighter:
    Stomping is considered any type of striking action with the feet where the fighter lifts their leg up bending their leg at the knee and initiating a striking action with the bottom of their foot or heel. (Note) Axe kicks are not stomps. Standing foot stops are NOT a foul. As such, this foul does not include stomping the feet of a standing fighter.*” A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and soles of the feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. It needs to be clear to all fighters that once an opponent has become grounded, Stomps of any kind are not permitted, even to the feet.

    14. Holding opponent's gloves or shorts:
    A fighter may not control their opponent's movement by holding onto their opponent's shorts or gloves. A fighter may hold onto or grab their opponent's hand as long as they are not controlling the hand only by using the material of the glove, but by actually gripping the hand of the opponent. It is legal to hold onto your own gloves or shorts.

    15. Holding or grabbing the fence or ropes with fingers or toes:
    A fighter may put their hands or feet on the fence and push off of it at anytime. A fighter may place their hands or feet onto the cage and have their fingers or toes go through the fencing material at any time. When a fighter's fingers or toes go through the cage and grab hold of the fence and start to control either their body position or their opponent's body position it now becomes an ILLEGAL action. A fighter may not grab the ropes or wrap their arms over or under the ring ropes at any time. The fighter may not purposely step through the ropes. If a fighter is caught holding the fence, cage or ring rope material the referee shall issue a one-point deduction from the offending fighters scorecard if the foul caused a substantial effect in the fight. If a fighter grabs hold of the cage and because of the infraction, the fouling fighter ends up in a superior position due to the foul, the fighters should be re-started by the referee, standing in a neutral position after determining if a point deduction is appropriate.

    16. Small joint manipulation:
    Fighters must grab the majority of fingers or toes for use as defense or manipulation. Fingers and toes are small joints. Wrists, ankles, knees, shoulders and elbows are all large joints.

    17. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or caged area:
    A fighter shall not throw their opponent out of the ring or cage.

    18. Intentionally placing a finger into any orifice, or into any cut or laceration of your opponent:
    A fighter may not place their fingers into an open laceration in an attempt to enlarge the cut. A fighter may not place their fingers into an opponent's, nose, ears, mouth, or any body cavity.

    19. Clawing, pinching, twisting the flesh:
    Any attack that targets the fighter's skin by clawing at the skin or attempting to pull or twist the skin to apply pain is illegal.

    20. Timidity (avoiding contact, or consistently dropping the mouthpiece, or faking an injury:
    Timidity is defined as any fighter who purposely avoids contact with his opponent, or runs away from the action of the fight. Timidity can also be called by the referee for any attempt by a fighter to receive time by falsely claiming a foul, injury, or purposely dropping or spitting out their mouthpiece or other action designed to stall or delay the action of the fight

    21. Use of abusive language in the fighting area.
    The use of abusive language is not allowed during MMA competition. It is the sole responsibility of the referee to determine when language crosses over the line to abusive. It should be clear that fighters can talk during a match. The mere use of auditory language is not a violation of this rule. Examples of abusive language would be (Racially motivated or Derogatory language)

    22. Flagrant disregard of the referee's instructions:
    A fighter MUST follow the instructions of the referee at all times. Any deviation or non-compliance may result in points being deducted from the fighter's scorecard, or the
    fighter being disqualified from the match.

    23. Unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to opponent. Every athlete competing in the sport of MMA is expected to represent the sport in a positive light emphasizing sportsmanship and humility. Any athlete that disrespects the rules of the sport or attempts to inflict unnecessary harm on a competitor who has been either taken out of the competition by the referee or has tapped out of the competition shall be viewed as being unsportsmanlike.

    24. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat. The end of a round is signified by the sound of the bell and the call of time by the referee. Once the referee has made the call of time, any offensive actions initiated by the fighter shall be considered after the bell and illegal

    25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break:
    A fighter shall not engage their opponent in any fashion during a time-out or break of action in competition

    26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee. Once the referee has called for a stop of the action to protect a fighter who has been incapacitated or is unable to continue to compete in the fight, fighters shall cease all offensive actions against their opponent

    27. Interference from a mixed martial artist’s corner or seconds:
    Interference is defined as any action or activity aimed at disrupting the fight or causing an unfair advantage to be given to one combatant. Corners are not allowed to distract the referee or influence the actions of the referee in any fashion.



    I particularly like #21. You can beat his face in but don't call him no bad names.

  6. #6
    MerKaBa is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post

    So that one convinced me. It's a better sport with rounds than without.

    But I still disagree about head butts, 12-6 elbow strikes and hair pulling.

    But watch the video. It' s unrecognizable as the foundation for the current UFC. Except it's got Big John in the ring.
    Watch Eric Paulson vs Guy Metzger and you'll see what a shitty fight legal hair pulling can make even between two elite level fighters for the time. Hair pulling illegal is a good rule, it's stupid because it encourages people to shave their heads and all look the same and standing out is a part of how a fighter can start to build star power.

    ON ROUNDS they should have went back in time and took a page out of the bareknuckle boxing days where rounds originated. rounds werent a set time, they just gave the fighters a break when one got dropped as long as he beat the count. In MMA it would have to be different, but would be cool to see rounds happen at a break in the action instead of a set time to avoid people "hanging on" and getting saved by the bell. Nothing worse then seeing a full on submission get removed by the referee so the guy can go to his corner for a minute break then get restarted back on the feet in a position he did not earn and does not deserve.After any round break if the fighters are entangled with one in dominant finishing position they should absolutekly be retured to that position after the round break... i mean its just basic common sense but people look at me like i have three heads when i bring it up.

  7. #7
    Couchlockd's Avatar
    Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    aka m.hornbuckle
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    2017 Unified Rules of MMA “FOULS”

    1. Butting with the head:
    The head may not be used as a striking instrument in any fashion. Any use of the head as a striking instrument whether head to head, head to body or otherwise is illegal.

    2. Eye gouging of any kind:
    Eye gouging by means of fingers, chin, or elbow is illegal. Legal strikes or punches that
    contact the fighter's eye socket are not eye gouging and shall be considered legal attacks.

    3. Biting or spitting at an opponent:
    Biting in any form is illegal. A fighter must recognize that a referee may not be able to physically observe some actions, and must make the referee aware if they are being bit during an exhibition of unarmed combat.

    4. Fish Hooking:
    Any attempt by a fighter to use their fingers in a manner that attacks their opponent's mouth, nose or ears, stretching the skin to that area will be considered “Fish hooking”. Fish hooking generally is the placing of fingers into the mouth of your opponent and pulling your hands in opposing directions while holding onto the skin of your opponent.

    5. Hair pulling:
    Pulling of the hair in any fashion is an illegal action. A fighter may not grab a hold of his opponent's hair to control their opponent in any way. If a fighter has long hair, they may not use their hair as a tool for holding or choking in any fashion

    6. Spiking the opponent to the canvas onto the head or neck (pile-driving):
    A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet towards the sky with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent’s body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas.

    7. Strikes to the spine or the back of the head. The spine includes the tailbone. The back of the head is defined as the area starting at the crown of the head and running directly down the centerline of the head with a one inch variance to each side. The entire rear portion of the neck is also illegal to attack starting at the occipital junction and stopping at the top of the trapezius. From the trapezius muscle down the
    spine is protected to the tailbone.

    8. Throat strikes of any kind and/or grabbing the trachea:
    No directed throat strikes are allowed. A directed attack would include a fighter pulling his opponents head in a way to open the neck area for a striking attack. A fighter may not gouge their fingers or thumb into their opponent's neck or trachea in an attempt to submit their opponent. If during stand up action of a fight a punch is thrown and the punch lands in the throat area of the fighter, this shall be viewed as a clean and legal blow.

    9. ** Fingers outstretched toward an opponent’s face/eyes:
    In the standing position, a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent’s face/eyes, will be a foul. Referees are to prevent this dangerous behavior by communicating clearly to fighters. Fighters are directed to close their fists or point their fingers straight up in the air when reaching toward their opponent.

    10. Downward pointing elbow strike (12 to 6):
    The use of a linear “straight up straight down” elbow strike is prohibited. Any variation of this straight up and down linear elbow strike makes the strike legal. Any arc, or any angle change from straight up to straight down makes the strike legal. Any variation of position does not alter the legality of the strike.

    11. Groin attacks of any kind:
    Any attack to the groin area including, striking, grabbing, pinching or twisting is illegal. It should be clear that groin attacks are the same for men and women.

    12. *Kneeing and/or Kicking the head of a grounded opponent:
    A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and soles of the feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. A single knee, arm, makes the fighter grounded without having to have any other body part in touch with the fighting area floor. At this time, kicks or knees to the head will not be allowed.

    13. *Stomping of a grounded fighter:
    Stomping is considered any type of striking action with the feet where the fighter lifts their leg up bending their leg at the knee and initiating a striking action with the bottom of their foot or heel. (Note) Axe kicks are not stomps. Standing foot stops are NOT a foul. As such, this foul does not include stomping the feet of a standing fighter.*” A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and soles of the feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. It needs to be clear to all fighters that once an opponent has become grounded, Stomps of any kind are not permitted, even to the feet.

    14. Holding opponent's gloves or shorts:
    A fighter may not control their opponent's movement by holding onto their opponent's shorts or gloves. A fighter may hold onto or grab their opponent's hand as long as they are not controlling the hand only by using the material of the glove, but by actually gripping the hand of the opponent. It is legal to hold onto your own gloves or shorts.

    15. Holding or grabbing the fence or ropes with fingers or toes:
    A fighter may put their hands or feet on the fence and push off of it at anytime. A fighter may place their hands or feet onto the cage and have their fingers or toes go through the fencing material at any time. When a fighter's fingers or toes go through the cage and grab hold of the fence and start to control either their body position or their opponent's body position it now becomes an ILLEGAL action. A fighter may not grab the ropes or wrap their arms over or under the ring ropes at any time. The fighter may not purposely step through the ropes. If a fighter is caught holding the fence, cage or ring rope material the referee shall issue a one-point deduction from the offending fighters scorecard if the foul caused a substantial effect in the fight. If a fighter grabs hold of the cage and because of the infraction, the fouling fighter ends up in a superior position due to the foul, the fighters should be re-started by the referee, standing in a neutral position after determining if a point deduction is appropriate.

    16. Small joint manipulation:
    Fighters must grab the majority of fingers or toes for use as defense or manipulation. Fingers and toes are small joints. Wrists, ankles, knees, shoulders and elbows are all large joints.

    17. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or caged area:
    A fighter shall not throw their opponent out of the ring or cage.

    18. Intentionally placing a finger into any orifice, or into any cut or laceration of your opponent:
    A fighter may not place their fingers into an open laceration in an attempt to enlarge the cut. A fighter may not place their fingers into an opponent's, nose, ears, mouth, or any body cavity.

    19. Clawing, pinching, twisting the flesh:
    Any attack that targets the fighter's skin by clawing at the skin or attempting to pull or twist the skin to apply pain is illegal.

    20. Timidity (avoiding contact, or consistently dropping the mouthpiece, or faking an injury:
    Timidity is defined as any fighter who purposely avoids contact with his opponent, or runs away from the action of the fight. Timidity can also be called by the referee for any attempt by a fighter to receive time by falsely claiming a foul, injury, or purposely dropping or spitting out their mouthpiece or other action designed to stall or delay the action of the fight

    21. Use of abusive language in the fighting area.
    The use of abusive language is not allowed during MMA competition. It is the sole responsibility of the referee to determine when language crosses over the line to abusive. It should be clear that fighters can talk during a match. The mere use of auditory language is not a violation of this rule. Examples of abusive language would be (Racially motivated or Derogatory language)

    22. Flagrant disregard of the referee's instructions:
    A fighter MUST follow the instructions of the referee at all times. Any deviation or non-compliance may result in points being deducted from the fighter's scorecard, or the
    fighter being disqualified from the match.

    23. Unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to opponent. Every athlete competing in the sport of MMA is expected to represent the sport in a positive light emphasizing sportsmanship and humility. Any athlete that disrespects the rules of the sport or attempts to inflict unnecessary harm on a competitor who has been either taken out of the competition by the referee or has tapped out of the competition shall be viewed as being unsportsmanlike.

    24. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat. The end of a round is signified by the sound of the bell and the call of time by the referee. Once the referee has made the call of time, any offensive actions initiated by the fighter shall be considered after the bell and illegal

    25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break:
    A fighter shall not engage their opponent in any fashion during a time-out or break of action in competition

    26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee. Once the referee has called for a stop of the action to protect a fighter who has been incapacitated or is unable to continue to compete in the fight, fighters shall cease all offensive actions against their opponent

    27. Interference from a mixed martial artist’s corner or seconds:
    Interference is defined as any action or activity aimed at disrupting the fight or causing an unfair advantage to be given to one combatant. Corners are not allowed to distract the referee or influence the actions of the referee in any fashion.



    I particularly like #21. You can beat his face in but don't call him no bad names.
    I thought 12 to 6 elbows were permitted back then. I sure see lots not called that's for sure

  8. #8
    MerKaBa is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    12
    They have been illegal since the original unified rules came out, but they way they're defined they're nearly impossible to throw from anywhere that matters, even a "slight" arch (11:59-5:59) makes them legal. the only place that they're really dangerous and possible to throw from is if someone is on your waist trying to take you down against the cage, but the main target here would be the back of the head which is illegal anyway (good rule), so the 12-6 rule is really just a useless compromise McCarthy let the state have since it shouldn't have effected any fights anyway.

  9. #9
    Couchlockd's Avatar
    Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    aka m.hornbuckle
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by MerKaBa View Post
    They have been illegal since the original unified rules came out, but they way they're defined they're nearly impossible to throw from anywhere that matters, even a "slight" arch (11:59-5:59) makes them legal. the only place that they're really dangerous and possible to throw from is if someone is on your waist trying to take you down against the cage, but the main target here would be the back of the head which is illegal anyway (good rule), so the 12-6 rule is really just a useless compromise McCarthy let the state have since it shouldn't have effected any fights anyway.
    A 12 to 6 can split open a skull pretty easy especially during ground n pound

    11:59 to 5:59 arch isn't going to do much to change the lethality of such a strike

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •