Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: joe defrancos

buckeyefootball4 is offline Senior Member

joe defrancos

have any of you have tryed his 6 week vj program if so how was it?

JJEB2 is offline Member
    i have never even seen his vj program. is it off his combine training movie? joe has the numbers to back his programs. he has had something like 31 guys drafted.

i have never seen it so if u could hit me up with it. i am interested to take a look at it.

WEEKS 1 & 2
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Monday

A. Warm-up – Pogo Jump warm-up then static hip flexor stretch

B. Trap Bar Deadlift off 4” box – Warm-up to 4 sets of 5 reps, increasing weight each set, rest 3 minutes between work sets.

C. Bulgarian Split Squats – 3 sets of 8 reps each leg, rest 30 seconds between each leg and 2 minutes between each set.

D. Reverse Hyperextensions – 4 sets of 10 reps, rest 1 minute between sets

E. Weighted Swiss ball crunches – (use either a rope attached to the low cable or a dumbell held on your chest for resistance) 4 sets of 10 reps, rest 1 minute between sets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday

B. Box Squats with bands – Warm-up to 8 sets of 2 reps, resting 30 seconds between sets
    *Use maximal band tension with less bar weight.
    *Use a box that is parallel or 1” above parallel.
    *Have someone time your sets. The goal is to perform the 2 reps in 2 seconds or less. Don’t raise the weight until you’re able to perform all 8 sets in under 2 seconds. Remember that speed is king on Thursday’s! Adjust the weight accordingly.

C. Dumbell Swings off boxes – 3 sets of 8 reps, rest 2 minutes between sets

D. Reverse Hyperextensions – 3 sets of 10 reps, rest 1 minute between sets

E. Rotational Ab Work, using hi & low cables – hi to low woodchoppers – 3 X 10 reps each side, low to high – 3 X 10 reps each side, rest 30 seconds between sets

Return to Top

WEEKS 3 & 4
    Monday

B. Snatch Grip Deadlifts – Warm-up to 4 sets of 4 reps, increasing the weight each set, rest 3 minutes between work sets.

C. Bulgarian Split Squats – 3 sets of 6 reps, rest 30 seconds between each leg and 2 minutes between sets

D. Reverse Hyperextensions – 4 sets of 8 reps, rest 1 minute between sets

E. Weighted Swiss ball crunches – (use either a rope attached to the low cable or a dumbell held on your chest for resistance) 4 sets of 10 reps, rest 1 minute between sets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday

B. Box Squats with bands – Warm-up to 8 sets of 2 reps, resting 30 seconds between sets.
    *Perform this exercise in the same manner you did during weeks 1 & 2. The only difference is during weeks 3 & 4 you will use slightly less band tension, but increase the barbell weight slightly.

C. Dumbell Swings off boxes – 4 sets of 6, rest 2 minutes between sets

D. Standing Backward Medicine ball throw – Perform 2 sets of 5 throws, rest 1-2 minutes after the first 5 throws.

E. Rotational Ab work, using hi & low cables – hi to low woodchoppers, 3 X 10 reps each side – low to hi, 3 X 10 reps each side, rest 30 seconds between sets.

Return to Top

WEEKS 5 & 6
    Monday

B. Depth Jumps – 4 sets of 3 reps, rest 1 minute between each set of 3 jumps.

C. Power Snatch or Power Clean – Warm-up to 4 sets of 3 reps, increasing weight on each work set. Rest 3 minutes between work sets.

D. Reverse Hyperextensions – 4 sets of 6 reps, rest 1 minute between sets.

E. Weighted Swiss ball crunches – (use either a rope attached to a low cable or hold a dumbell on your chest for resistance) 4 sets of 8 reps, rest 1 minute between sets.

Thursday

A. Warm-up – Pogo Jump warm-up then static hip flexor stretch.

B. 50-rep Rhythm Squats, with light band tension – Warm-up to 1 max set of 50 reps!

C. Box Squats with bands – Warm-up to 6 sets of 2 reps, resting 30 seconds between sets. Perform this exercise in the same manner as you have been, but decrease the band tension slightly from what you were using the last 2 weeks and increase the barbell weight. The goal is still to perform all sets in 2 seconds or less!

D. Push Jerks – Warm-up to 4 max sets. 1st set = 5 reps, 2nd set = 4 reps, 3rd set = 3 reps, 4th set = 2 reps. Rest 3 minutes between work sets.

E. Medicine ball ab circuit – toe touches X 20 reps, russian twists X 20 reps, crunches X 20 reps – Perform this “circuit” 3 times. Rest 20 seconds between circuits.

* Test your vertical jump 3 – 5 days after this workout after week six.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    looks good. i personally wouldnt lift specifically for the vertical jump. i was thinking of trying the rhythm squats a week before testing. i thought it was more of a plyo based and not lifting based. what do you need to get ur vert up for?

i dont i have a 38in vj..

JJEB2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyefootball4
    i dont i have a 38in vj..
    is that on the vert tester they use at the combine or the electronic platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by JJEB2
    is that on the vert tester they use at the combine or the electronic platforms?
    vertec-no steps

JJEB2 is offline Member
    yea thats straight then. i did 36 with the vertec and velocity had me at a 33 with the platform.

i really havent adressed my vert bc i thought 36 was pretty decent. i am 7 weeks out and 6 of training so i am gonna throw ina day of plyos.

with joes program you will get 2-3in in that six weeks, lifting for the vj isnt bad unless u r doing some crazy jump program like air arlert. with joe program u should get faster bc they both are power events - look at the lifting all power things (dl off 4in blk, snacth dl off 4in blks, cleans and snatch etc).

JJEB2 is offline Member
    also since we are on the topic. my broad is garbage. i dont have to do it at the first combine but if i qualify for the RCA dome then i have to do it. how can i increase my broad i have tested on my own at 9 4''-9 6"

JJEB2 is offline Member
    with joes program you will get 2-3in in that six weeks, lifting for the vj isnt bad unless u r doing some crazy jump program like air arlert. with joe program u should get faster bc they both are power events - look at the lifting all power things (dl off 4in blk, snacth dl off 4in blks, cleans and snatch etc).
    well i am doing the huricane workout that you posted and i love it right now. shoulder is a little sore but i feel good. i havent done that much explosive lifting so i def think it will pay off. my body responds fairly well to plyos in correlation to my vert. personally i am just really sacred to do that type of lifting bc i am afraid of losing strength.

thats more tech then the vj, and do lots of starting strength work.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    thats more tech then the vj, and do lots of starting strength work.
    yea my whole arm swing is ****ed up man. i cant hit it in the right spot so i look like a moron and i dont extend my hips far enough and then get them under me.

A lot of people use the wrong technique when broad jumping - probably because it's sort've a foreign movement and must be learned. They take off prematurely before their legs have fully extended and rely on too much quadricep and not enough posterior chain so they aren't able to fully benefit from what they're capable of. Strengthen the hamstrings and glutes and learn to use them optimally in the broad jump by practicing consciously and forcefully driving the hips back as you squat down. You do this so that you can better pre-stretch the glutes and hamstrings. This quick prestretching will increase their force contribution significantly. In fact if you do it right you should feel a stretch right at about the glute-hamstring tie in. Now, when you take off concentrate on digging the the feet down and back and forcefully throw your arms forward. Have someone watch you to make sure you're getting a full extension at the knee and hip prior to take off. The faster you descend down and back the further you tend to go forward on the jump. With a little practice you'll improve considerably

hope u r doing some kind of conditioning/fitness work for ur combine.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    A lot of people use the wrong technique when broad jumping - probably because it's sort've a foreign movement and must be learned. They take off prematurely before their legs have fully extended and rely on too much quadricep and not enough posterior chain so they aren't able to fully benefit from what they're capable of. Strengthen the hamstrings and glutes and learn to use them optimally in the broad jump by practicing consciously and forcefully driving the hips back as you squat down. You do this so that you can better pre-stretch the glutes and hamstrings. This quick prestretching will increase their force contribution significantly. In fact if you do it right you should feel a stretch right at about the glute-hamstring tie in. Now, when you take off concentrate on digging the the feet down and back and forcefully throw your arms forward. Have someone watch you to make sure you're getting a full extension at the knee and hip prior to take off. The faster you descend down and back the further you tend to go forward on the jump. With a little practice you'll improve considerably
    very good info bro. i appreciate that greatly

JJEB2 is offline Member
    hope u r doing some kind of conditioning/fitness work for ur combine.
    my velocity training is tuesday and thurs nights. we do multi directional days, agiltities, quickness and first step drive. we do everything from bungees to cone drills. it is very specific to football and conditions. sesssions are an hr and a half and its basically an hr straight of all these drills with a few rest peroids when we change over. so basically its like a short football/track practice.

my velocity training is tuesday and thurs nights. we do multi directional days, agiltities, quickness and first step drive. we do everything from bungees to cone drills. it is very specific to football and conditions. sesssions are an hr and a half and its basically an hr straight of all these drills with a few rest peroids when we change over. so basically its like a short football/track practice.
    thats not good. should maybe look like this: combine traning is all bout tech work. BRB

Mon- AM: starts, short sprints, agility drills, position specific drills - ~500 yards total. PM: Weights- 3 x 3 at 80% squat, RDL.

Tues- Conditioning- 100 yds x 15 with 30 second rest intervals

Wed- AM:Plyo- speed drills- 4-6 sets depth jumps/ 1 position specific agility drill/ 4 sets straight leg sprints/ 4 sets 60 yard buildups- PM: Maximum Strength Upper Body Training mainly on the bench press

Thurs- Conditioning- 100 yds x 15 with 30 second rests

Friday- AM: start technique, maximum speed sprints and flying 20's, agility drills, position specific drills- 500 yards total. PM: Strength Training - Clean- 3 x 3 85%/Squat 3 x 3 85%/ Glute Ham- 3 x 3

Saturday- AM- Agility technique, buildups, Upper Body strength enduance focusing on the bench press

JJEB2 is offline Member
    thats not good. should maybe look like this: combine traning is all bout tech work. BRB

Mon- AM: starts, short sprints, agility drills, position specific drills - ~500 yards total. PM: Weights- 3 x 3 at 80% squat, RDL.

Tues- Conditioning- 100 yds x 15 with 30 second rest intervals

Wed- AM:Plyo- speed drills- 4-6 sets depth jumps/ 1 position specific agility drill/ 4 sets straight leg sprints/ 4 sets 60 yard buildups- PM: Maximum Strength Upper Body Training mainly on the bench press

Thurs- Conditioning- 100 yds x 15 with 30 second rests

Friday- AM: start technique, maximum speed sprints and flying 20's, agility drills, position specific drills- 500 yards total. PM: Strength Training - Clean- 3 x 3 85%/Squat 3 x 3 85%/ Glute Ham- 3 x 3

Saturday- AM- Agility technique, buildups, Upper Body strength enduance focusing on the bench press
    i know. i did alot of research before i went over to the velocity. i read the velocity training split. i said listen i want to do combine training. they bullshitted me and said yea yea this is a specific class for speed training. ended up signing a ****in contract with them.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    you have no idea how bullshit i was when i found out bc i have a very good idea of how to train and they just screwd me.

yep they are bullshit, would never go there

JJEB2 is offline Member
    yep they are bullshit, would never go there
    yea, i am disappointed now. i read up on them and they did wonders for 8 guys that entered the draft one being odell thurman. i dont think it will hinder my performance that much.

so u think i should lower the vlume on the hurricane workout then and start to work in these parameters?

that hurricane program is not a combine program its to prepare you for a college season. i would probably do this: also odell was a great athlete before velocity they didnt make him-lol

mon: max strength upper
    wed: 2weeks max lower/2weeks speed lower
    fri: rep upper
    Last edited by buckeyefootball4; 04-07-2006 at 12:50 PM.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    that hurricane program is not a combine program its to prepare you for a college season. i would probably do this: also odell was a great athlete before velocity they didnt make him-lol

mon: max strength upper
    wed: 2weeks max lower/2weeks speed lower
    fri: rep upper
    well he wasnt really as far as his numbers prior to velocity. they clocked him at a 4.85 prior. he got into the 4.6. if i recall my starting numbers were right around the same as his all except my bp was alot more.

well he wasnt really as far as his numbers prior to velocity. they clocked him at a 4.85 prior. he got into the 4.6. if i recall my starting numbers were right around the same as his all except my bp was alot more.

see ur right they clocked him at a 4.8 but u ga had him faster then that, they just do that just to make themselves look better also odell had the potential to be fast its something ur mom and dad gave u-lol.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    see ur right they clocked him at a 4.8 but u ga had him faster then that, they just do that just to make themselves look better also odell had the potential to be fast its something ur mom and dad gave u-lol.
    yea well it can go either way. bc one u are comming out of season and two schools will hype a players numbers to make them look better. my school actually let our top wr get away with a quick start. he had a 4.85 40, 9 3 broad, 31" vert, 4.56 SS, 7.47 3 cone, 225-21 reps, and weighed 233. his numbers didnt get that much better to be honest. 34 in vert, 4.34 ss, 3 inches onto his broad. i wouldnt say thats much of an improvement. but he is in the nfl and i am going to some shitty regional combine bc i am a moron.

yea well it can go either way. bc one u are comming out of season and two schools will hype a players numbers to make them look better. my school actually let our top wr get away with a quick start. he had a 4.85 40, 9 3 broad, 31" vert, 4.56 SS, 7.47 3 cone, 225-21 reps, and weighed 233. his numbers didnt get that much better to be honest. 34 in vert, 4.34 ss, 3 inches onto his broad. i wouldnt say thats much of an improvement. but he is in the nfl and i am going to some shitty regional combine bc i am a moron.
    are u going to the one at tech

JJEB2 is offline Member
    go to www.combines.com and at the top there is a schedule. click that and its the one on may 21st at farleigh dickinson uni. tell me what u think about the whole thing bc i am in the dark. a kid from my last school actually is gonna be at the same one i think.

go to www.combines.com and at the top there is a schedule. click that and its the one on may 21st at farleigh dickinson uni. tell me what u think about the whole thing bc i am in the dark. a kid from my last school actually is gonna be at the same one i think.
    dont sound bad just make sure you test well, and u do ur own warmup.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    dont sound bad just make sure you test well, and u do ur own warmup.
    true. thanks for all ur help for. much appreciated

no problem man whatever i can do to help just let me know.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    build ups the same as flies?

build ups the same as flies?

what r u asking?

JJEB2 is offline Member
    flies are an overspeed training where say you are working on your 40 time. you want to hit max speed when you get to start the 40 so you start maybe 55 yards away to hit your max right at the beginning of the 40. you said 60m buildups. i was wondering if they are the same things

flies are an overspeed training where say you are working on your 40 time. you want to hit max speed when you get to start the 40 so you start maybe 55 yards away to hit your max right at the beginning of the 40. you said 60m buildups. i was wondering if they are the same things

60yd biuldup are just build start slow and gradually get faster, 1 gear second gear third gear etc

JJEB2 is offline Member
    aight bro thanks. one more thing hahah. the layout for the running and lifting you gave is different from the one you gave in post #23.

this is a basic workout by velocity. just a layout type thing. scroll down to the weekly layout. http://www.velocitysp.com/franchises...combine_05.pdf

aight bro thanks. one more thing hahah. the layout for the running and lifting you gave is different from the one you gave in post #23.

this is a basic workout by velocity. just a layout type thing. scroll down to the weekly layout. http://www.velocitysp.com/franchises...combine_05.pdf

to me that setup could work but some may say u r doing to many days of back to back CNS work but hey thats how most colleges train speed mon and thur and agility tue and fri thats how the running was with the hurricane program very similar. im working on a combine program for guy right now i may send it to you. the setups i gave you were some of the setups i have used everyone i train is diff and goals are diff.
    Last edited by buckeyefootball4; 04-08-2006 at 11:48 AM.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    to me that setup could work but some may say u r doing to many days of back to back CNS work but hey thats how most colleges train speed mon and thur and agility tue and fri thats how the running was with the hurricane program very similar. im working on a combine program for guy right now i may send it to you. the setups i gave you were some of the setups i have used everyone i train is diff and goals are diff.
    yea well i hit ya up with my numbers and only thing i really need is the 40 to get alot lower and ss. biggest goal right now. people pay money for the info u have given me bro. if u can hit me up then that would be great and if not thats fine bro and very understandable. thanks bro. i am capable of putting it together but i you are more qualified than I am.

yea well i hit ya up with my numbers and only thing i really need is the 40 to get alot lower and ss. biggest goal right now. people pay money for the info u have given me bro. if u can hit me up then that would be great and if not thats fine bro and very understandable. thanks bro. i am capable of putting it together but i you are more qualified than I am.
    the guys that i train its just not the running that helps them run faster its the overall program meaning the strength program is very key

JJEB2 is offline Member
    the guys that i train its just not the running that helps them run faster its the overall program meaning the strength program is very key
    i like that philosophy. i was talking with a kid who spoke with an old track coach around the way who just opened up his own speed training. his philosophy is completely the opposite and i feel that lifting, flexibilty and running go hand in hand to increase running abilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information