gio86 is offline Member

Arrow OFF DAY pre-contest

on my off days should i keep my carbs and fats the same as my work out days?? I mean obviously not taking dextrose on an off day but maybe replacing that with some oats??

or should i just lower my carbs and fats on my off days??

currently I take in about 155-160 gm of carbs 300gm of protein and about 40gm of fat most of them coming from flaxseed oil.

thanx alot.

timtim is offline Member
    if you are carb cycling then you would change the intake.

i am not certain what your pre-comp diet looks like but i would assume lowering the carbs and upping the fats would be good to keep the metabolism moving on off days. again, without knowing your plan i cant help too much.

gio86 is offline Member
    thanx alot bro. and no im not cycle carbs. the only thing im worried is since im not having the my pwo with the dex. should i replace the dext for some flax oil?? (say 15gm)

gio86 is offline Member
    because if i completly drop the carbs coming form the dextrose that would leave me with about 55 gm of carbs.

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gio86
    on my off days should i keep my carbs and fats the same as my work out days?? I mean obviously not taking dextrose on an off day but maybe replacing that with some oats??

or should i just lower my carbs and fats on my off days??

currently I take in about 155-160 gm of carbs 300gm of protein and about 40gm of fat most of them coming from flaxseed oil.

thanx alot.
    My carbs are lower by nearly about 100g on non-workout days

gio86 is offline Member
    alright kool so i guess i will just forget about them carbs on non work out days and add another flax serving w/ some lean protein to compensate the calorie loss from thoes 100gms. or just skip that meal completly?

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think it really depends on how you respond to higher carb days...Usually I wouldnt start carb cycling til 3-4 weeks out to trick my body into losing the last bit of fat. If you can keep your carbs high on and off days and still lose bodyfat I would definitely do so. This will help with energy and muscle preservation IMO. I used to keep the carbs at 175-200 til 4 weeks from the show and then I would play with them. Again this is just what worked for me, but I know a lot of people on here recommend keeping the carbs high as long as possible.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Workout days or nonworkout days doesn't make a difference when I'm dieting.. I have a set diet and whatever falls on that day is how it works. Personally if you're anywhere without 6-8wks out from the comp I wouldn't be taking Dex whether it be PWO or not, I dropped all shakes/supplements besides BCAA's 8wks out.

gio86 is offline Member
    well thats what i started doing JUST SOLID FOODS but then i was lacking some protein and some of the members told me that it was an oldschool way to drop protein shakes now. so I added a shake in my diet and seems to be doing nothing bad.

as far as dextrose...should i go with rice cakes?? natural fast carbs???

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I**mfkr
    Workout days or nonworkout days doesn't make a difference when I'm dieting.. I have a set diet and whatever falls on that day is how it works. Personally if you're anywhere without 6-8wks out from the comp I wouldn't be taking Dex whether it be PWO or not, I dropped all shakes/supplements besides BCAA's 8wks out.
    i assume that's the ideal situation - going with solid foods, but how big a difference would it make?

i'm just weighing the pros and cons and seeing if the difference would be worth the inconvenience.. the last time i only dropped shakes one week out, so i may consider dropping it slightly further out this time..

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Try it and see for yourself.. that's all I can tell you, although other variables will probably make it hard to tell the difference (amount of cardio, calorie intake opposed to last contest diet, Differene in bodyfat % last offseason etc..)
    Each of these things will throw off your comparison.

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    People you must learn your body and that comes by trial. I use to follow the ruleslik eit was written in stone, dropping PWO dextrose, dropping shakes 3 weeks out, until I read Dexter Jackson drinks his shakes right up to the show. I tried it and to my surprised didn't hurt any, another think I stop doing is that 7 day deplete and carb up thing everyone does, and as you see in my avatar I was dry as sh!t. so the moral of the story is nothing is written in stone, you have to try different things, these shows you are doing are small. I like to try new things with small shows. but just remember everybody is different, what works for me may not work for you.

gio86 is offline Member
    yea i hear you. I've been getting leaner by the day it seems that this diet im doing it working well for me because i reacted to it very fast and i belive my one and only shake with dextrose isnt hurting me. however i plan on droping it a week or two away from the show and replace thoes carbs if i work out with some rice cakes.

as far as my off days i think im gonna up the carbs a lil bit in the morning and just do a fat/protein meal isnted of the shake and dext to balance out my calories.

Thread Information