DFubar is offline New Member

Realistic Expectations?

It seems a lot of ppl think that once skinny always skinny. Is it a realisitc expectation to gain 60-80 pounds of muscle if you are of slim build? I've already gained around 7 pounds and am working on reforming my workout program. But I mean, given the dedication, do you guys think it is a realistic expectation?

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Dude thats one of the most vauge questions ive ever seen...

Give us some stats at the very least.

And a little history on the men in your family. Especailly on your fathers side.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post

And a little history on the men in your family. Especailly on your fathers side.
    Especially on the fathers side???

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Men tend to share the characteristics of their father, like how women share characteristics of their mother.

So if his father is a larger man, he is more likely to be larger...

Yea, sorry bout that. Well, my dad is a bigger man, but alot of it isn't muscle. He said he used to be muscular in his mid-twenties. Don't know much about his dad, we'll keep it at that.

Also, I'm a bit of an anomaly, as I am the tallest one in my immediate family. So...I don't really take after my pops a whole lot.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Men tend to share the characteristics of their father, like how women share characteristics of their mother.

So if his father is a larger man, he is more likely to be larger...
    LOL, thats not really how genetics works my friend. I have proof, I look nothing like my father, everyone says I look like my mother. Well my mother and the mailman they said.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    LOL, thats not really how genetics works my friend. I have proof, I look nothing like my father, everyone says I look like my mother. Well my mother and the mailman they said.
    Yes, same here. Except for the mailman thing lol.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    lol.. it is true genetics don't usually follow the same sex trend. its just about who has the dominant and recessive traits for things. same for muscle building.

to the topic, you didn't give us anything to work with... age? current size? height? bf? for all we know you are 5'5 200 and are looking to gain 80 pounds...

Well, I did say I was thin. But, I am about 155 atm 6'0 and am 23 yrs old. Hopefully that clears things up.

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFubar View Post
    Well, I did say I was thin. But, I am about 155 atm 6'0 and am 23 yrs old. Hopefully that clears things up.
    60 - 80 lbs. is a lot. But you can certainly bulk up a bunch.

You should post your diet in the diet section and start there. That's where the majority of peoples problems lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    60 - 80 lbs. is a lot. But you can certainly bulk up a bunch.

You should post your diet in the diet section and start there. That's where the majority of peoples problems lie.
    Right, the diet is a big part of it and I'm an trying to incorporate much more protein (and cals) into my my diet. But, you don't think it is realisitic to want to gain 60-80lbs? I'm afraid I won't look too much different unless I do so.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    It is possible to gain alot of weight naturally, but there is a genetic limit. I think at your height and weight it would be possible for you to naturally put on a good 20+ lbs in a year if you are truly dedicated. It would take a long time to get to 235, but post your diet like rugger said, and we'll be able to help you alot.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Right, the diet is a big part of it and I'm an trying to incorporate much more protein (and cals) into my my diet. But, you don't think it is realisitic to want to gain 60-80lbs? I'm afraid I won't look too much different unless I do so.
    At your weight, 20lbs will basically transform your body. Start with a more realistic goal and work from that bro. Not saying you'll never be able to do it, but it will take years of hard work and dedication

I've seen guys who claim to be 180, and they still look pretty small, maybe because it is not muscle? I want people's reactions to be "whoa, that is a, big muscular guy."

Maybe 190-200 would be enough. And maybe I am underestimating 20lbs of SOLID muscle.

And about a year ago, my pers trainer said he could see me gaining 30-35lbs in a year if I was dedicated. I've also heard the quickest gains come from the start of someone's transformation, could be wrong.

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfew44 View Post
    At your weight, 20lbs will basically transform your body. Start with a more realistic goal and work from that bro. Not saying you'll never be able to do it, but it will take years of hard work and dedication
    Agreed

I've seen guys who claim to be 180, and they still look pretty small, maybe because it is not muscle? I want people's reactions to be "whoa, that is a, big muscular guy."

Maybe 190-200 would be enough. And maybe I am underestimating 20lbs of SOLID muscle.

And about a year ago, my pers trainer said he could see me gaining 30-35lbs in a year if I was dedicated. I've also heard the quickest gains come from the start of someone's transformation, could be wrong.
    Also agreed. And yes, you will see fast results in the beginning (Maybe first 4 - 6 months) and they will become harder to improve on as you get closer to your goals.
    But I can't stress enough the importance of your diet. I know I sound like a broken record, but that's where it all begins, or fails.

Yea rugger I agree with you that diet is the largest part of it. I'm working on over-hauling this.

jnewton86 is offline Member
    I'd have to say in my eyes ,there are no limits, what the mind believes the body will follow. Many refer to genetic potential, yes there is to some extent limits, but for the most part i disagree. I believe it all comes down to diet, training, determination, dedication, persistence, will power, and of course some medicated assistance i'll say. Depends how bad you want it and how far your willing to go. At least, that's how i think in regards to putting on size

Well, whatever "genetic limits" there may be, those can be somewhat overcome with steroids . But, I've come to realize I'm not near ready for those yet.

SWOLLL is offline Associate Member
    Putting on 20lbs of muscle will transform your whole body and motivate you to keep going.

You've already gained 7lbs thats a great start. Keep your goals realistic and work on your short term goals so you keep your keep yourself motivated.

If you put on 20lbs a year in 3 years thats 60lbs but if you don't gain that much dont get discouraged.
    With the right diet and training you can gain 60-80lbs but you will have to work your ass off not just go through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by SWOLLL View Post
    Putting on 20lbs of muscle will transform your whole body and motivate you to keep going.

You've already gained 7lbs thats a great start. Keep your goals realistic and work on your short term goals so you keep your keep yourself motivated.

If you put on 20lbs a year in 3 years thats 60lbs but if you don't gain that much dont get discouraged.
    With the right diet and training you can gain 60-80lbs but you will have to work your ass off not just go through the motions.
    Right I know it takes dedication, but...I don't want it to take three years to gain the 60lbs of muscle. I guess that means I'll have to work extra hard without over-training.

I just want an impressive body, hopefully 20-25lbs of solid muscle will do that to some extent. I don't want an "average" body.

Jakt is offline Associate Member
    dude you can gain 500 pls if you want, quality hard muscle takes time, just make sure you are working out the right way, no wasting time in the gym and eat correctly for ten yrs, and then youj should have a sick build...

if ya want to be a freak, just add juice

and i def agree w/ jaynewton

i was 160 senior yr of HS, then as i aged i would get to around 190 every yr offseaon.... i competed at 160 shredded now i'm back to 190 again, naturally i try to gain 1-3 lbs of muscle that i can keep each yr but its hard to do. as long as you stick to it you will always improve

**** btw never really look at weight... when i get down to 165-75 most people think i wieght around 190-200... its all an illusion!

Thread Information