JohnnyJim is offline Banned

How much "default" bodyfat should I have?

How much "default" bodyfat should I have?

I'm not looking to compete in bodybuilding anytime soon. But I want to know, in terms of strength and muscle mass, what bodyfat percentage would be considered "comfortable" for most people? The kind where you don't feel depleted with your heavy workouts?

Thanks.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    15% , easy to maintain, eat what I wanted mostly, looked ok

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Depends on the person. There's no answer that will hold true for everyone. The guy above that said 15% and mostly eat what he wanted, that's great for him, I wish I could say the same. But if I eat like that I'll be well over 15%.

I tend to dislike how people throw fat percentage numbers around. Most have no idea what they're talking about. The old "if you see abs your X%" is a retarded thing to say.

Anyway, the lower I go, single digit BF and the lower that goes, the worse I feel and the less my brain works. Then you have guys on this board like kelkel who seem to stay naturally lean and function well. Everyone is different. You would think after nearly 100 years of bodybuilding the "everyone is different" statement would be well understood, but sadly it's not.

I agree with Metalject

SOL!D5NAK3 is offline Associate Member
    if i eat what i want more than a month i'll be a fat idiot.

dep30 is offline Associate Member
    As long as I workout atleast 5x's a week I stay around 11-12 % bf eating only about 30-40 clean. I recently had to take about 3 months off (hardest thing obverse ever done!) I got up to 13-14 % bf, and lost a Lil size. But everyone is diffrent! It depends mostly on Ur body type and I'm an ectomorph which helps me stay lean as long as I'm active...

Ahh ye, I guess my post sounded a little pompous, I guess I made myself want to eat correct for 50% of the week ie mon-fri 0600-1800, then I ate liberally let's say. Yep I have to work hard not to look fat

redleg277 is offline New Member
    Spot on. My coach hovers between 8-12% year round. Too much to worry about if you ask me. Live a little. I stay around 14-16% and generally eat what I want. Just not in the portions I want I guess. It really does vary.

mussina123 is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't get toooooo heavy in the offseason.. pushing 18-20% is only going to make things worse.. insulin sensitivity, estrogen effects, etc..

Blog Entries
    I'd say around 12% is a good balance where you can look good with a shirt off and not look too small with a shirt on (This is speaking mostly for the natural athlete) and have your hormones be be nice and balanced because you aren't at too low of a BF but you still can look fairly good

qscgugcsq is offline Anabolic Member
    Between 10-15% depending on your genetic you should.be okay. Getting higher than 15 and youll.carry too much fat that do not help.you in any way.

Under 10% most people cant train as hard as they would like to.

Depends on you.

Thread Information