Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Competitor

Whoever told you that you are 11% is delusional. You are not even close to 11%. Caliper tests are not accurate. If you are not hydrostatically weighed or Dexascan, then you are guessing, and your guess is way off. You're fat. You will need to spend from now to March 11 cutting aggressively, which means you probably will not bring up your back, legs, and shoulders, which all need to be brought up.

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, need all the points of views I can get.

Blog Entries
    You're also the first person I've ever heard of say nine point caliper tests aren't accurate.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnsedentary
    Whoever told you that you are 11% is delusional. You are not even close to 11%. Caliper tests are not accurate. If you are not hydrostatically weighed or Dexascan, then you are guessing, and your guess is way off. You're fat. You will need to spend from now to March 11 cutting aggressively, which means you probably will not bring up your back, legs, and shoulders, which all need to be brought up.
    I used to be stuck on numbers, but that's all they are. I do not care what weight or what body fat I go on stage with. It is all how you look not the numbers so the method of checking body fat is really irrelevant for a specific number. To tell you the truth, I like the pictures better than any other method. I agree that he is greater than 11%, but I think that we should be encouraging people especially for the first time. Anyone who has competed knows the mind games that occur as competition is approaching. We need people supportive to help the competitor look the best that they can. Each competition is a learning experience to help dial in to perfection.
    I'm over half a century and what these young guys can do in a limited amont of time is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    but I think that we should be encouraging people especially for the first time. Anyone who has competed knows the mind games that occur as competition is approaching. We need people supportive to help the competitor look the best that they can. Each competition is a learning experience to help dial in to perfection.
    I was not trying to be discouraging. I hope DHew did not take it that way. Blowing smoke up his butt and telling him he is 11% 13 weeks out does not help, though.

If he needs encouragement, it is to speed up his fat loss.

My personal advice would be to pick an event later, summer or fall maybe, and give yourself more time to add some to the legs, delts, and back. That takes time.

My concern is twofold. In another thread he said he was doing 15 minutes of cardio post weightlifting. As somebody else pointed out, that is not show prep. He needs to step this up, perhaps 30-40 minutes fasted cardio several times a week. He is hiring a nutritional coach, if I recall, so I will assume this is a prep coach who knows how to diet for a show.

My second concern is weight. His category is 225 weight limit. DHew is going to have to come it at about 200 - 205 pounds stage weight, meaning he is going to be 20 pounds lighter than his competitors. He is already close to the weight limit and has a LOT of fat to lose (and of course water leading into the show). He might even be sub 200.

This is why I said to wait for a later show.

DHew, you have a good build, so please do not take this the wrong way. I just think you need a little more time to make improvements if you want to do well.

I am hoping this is encouragement, and not discouragement. I think you can do well with a little dose of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by DHew View Post
    You're also the first person I've ever heard of say nine point caliper tests aren't accurate.
    Body Fat Percentage Guide: Clinically Verified Pictures of Men and Women at 10%, 20%, and Up - PainDatabase Take a look. These people had actual Dexascans, which actually measures how much of their body mass is fat.

As for the calipers, IF your assessor is specially trained, and IF he has at least 200 practice runs that are compared to Dexascans and hydrostatic weighing, and IF he is using top quality equipment, and IF he took every measurement at least twice, and IF he used a tape measure to locate the measuring sites accurately instead of just eyeballing it, and IF the assumptions in the calculator about subcutaneous fat distribution happen to be accurate for your particular body type (have we nailed everything so far???) then the best accuracy for which you can hope is plus or minus 3.5%.

11% plus or minus 3.5% is 7.5% to 14.5%.

And that accuracy assumes all of the above IFs were true, which I highly doubt.

That sort of accuracy range is basically useless for your purposes.

A coach and a mirror are much more useful for your prep, anyway, as nobody is going to be measuring your body fat on stage.
    Last edited by oldnsedentary; 12-30-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnsedentary
    My concern is twofold. In another thread he said he was doing 15 minutes of cardio post weightlifting. As somebody else pointed out, that is not show prep. He needs to step this up, perhaps 30-40 minutes fasted cardio several times a week. He is hiring a nutritional coach, if I recall, so I will assume this is a prep coach who knows how to diet for a show. My second concern is weight. His category is 225 weight limit. DHew is going to have to come it at about 200 - 205 pounds stage weight, meaning he is going to be 20 pounds lighter than his competitors. He is already close to the weight limit and has a LOT of fat to lose (and of course water leading into the show). He might even be sub 200. This is why I said to wait for a later show. DHew, you have a good build, so please do not take this the wrong way. I just think you need a little more time to make improvements if you want to do well. I am hoping this is encouragement, and not discouragement. I think you can do well with a little dose of reality.
    I guess I missed the boat. The day of the show isn't when you are assigned weight classes wherever he is competing? A first time competitor has no idea what weight they will come in at. Their body will go through so many transformations in the last three months it will probably confuse them as to what is happening.... It did me the first time and that was all natural.
    I agree with everything that you said. You really painted a very good picture of the future and what is necessary.
    Dhew- you really need to be doing cardio of 30-40 minutes per day at least 5 times a week. I recommend that it is done seperate from the workout.

Blog Entries
    Hey gents. First off, constructive criticism is worth so much more than compliments. If you have some genuine insight to offer, by all means, let's hear it. Never once have my feelings been hurt, so please don't be concerned by this.

I have been doing 40mins cardio post workout for about a month now. As the thread states, this is my first competition and I'm sure some things will go as planned and some won't. I think charger hit it on the head. I won't be perfect for the first show, but I'm learning tons and will have a baseline to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    I guess I missed the boat. The day of the show isn't when you are assigned weight classes wherever he is competing?
    The weight limit is based on his height. 225 pounds. You did not miss the boat. You missed the other thread in which he posted his height and the sort of competition he was entering.

Hey gents. First off, constructive criticism is worth so much more than compliments. If you have some genuine insight to offer, by all means, let's hear it. Never once have my feelings been hurt, so please don't be concerned by this.

I have been doing 40mins cardio post workout for about a month now. As the thread states, this is my first competition and I'm sure some things will go as planned and some won't. I think charger hit it on the head. I won't be perfect for the first show, but I'm learning tons and will have a baseline to build on.
    Good deal. Keep the thread going, maybe as a log. I would be interested in watching your progress and hope you do very well.

Good change on the cardio.

I would say try carb cycling, but I think I remember you posting that you have a nutrition coach now, right? In that case, do whatever he says. How is that going?

Blog Entries
    It's going well. I'm about to have a diet change which might involve carb cycling, the consult is on the 7th.

It's going well. I'm about to have a diet change which might involve carb cycling, the consult is on the 7th.
    Cool. A log on your prep, including the good, the bad, and the ugly, could be a valuable resource for future competitors coming here to read in this section.

mrlittleman is offline Junior Member
    Try and get some pics on here.

Blog Entries
    Pics roughly 2 months ago are on the first page of this thread.

How is prep going? It's been more than a month.

Blog Entries
    It's not going. I'd like to get a little more lbm than what I have now.5 - 8 pounds more and I'm set. I'm going to continue trying to achieve this before I start the hard prep. Bumped calories back up to 3200 calories.

Quote Originally Posted by DHew
    It's not going. I'd like to get a little more lbm than what I have now.5 - 8 pounds more and I'm set. I'm going to continue trying to achieve this before I start the hard prep. Bumped calories back up to 3200 calories.
    Is it going now? Just be careful of bf% from upping calories. IMO I would not be set on numbers, just listen to the mirror.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information