Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!

What language(s) do you find most useful?

What languages do you find most useful?

What language(s) did you first learn?

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    Well for me, I started off learning C/C++. It's extremely versatile and universal in windows, unix, Mac; etc. I still use it sometimes these days, but now I mostly use C# and assembly. I find that knowing the lower languages such as assembly and C++ help me to grasp the higher level ones like .NET, java, Ruby, etc.

And, when you think about it; all code is rendered down to assembly (machine) language... very powerful to be able to manipulate the stack/heap memory and change CPU registers of any program. If you know enough assembly, you can rule the world.

Darkcast is offline New Member
    I actually enjoy python

ziggypiggy is offline New Member
    I learned Java first. The most useful language depends on what type of code you write. For example, if you do systems programming, you'll need C. If you do iPhone programming, you'll need to know objective C.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    The only "language" I learned was GW Basic back in computer science yeeeears ago!

Persistence2012 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scabtree View Post
    Well for me, I started off learning C/C++. It's extremely versatile and universal in windows, unix, Mac; etc. I still use it sometimes these days, but now I mostly use C# and assembly. I find that knowing the lower languages such as assembly and C++ help me to grasp the higher level ones like .NET, java, Ruby, etc.

And, when you think about it; all code is rendered down to assembly (machine) language... very powerful to be able to manipulate the stack/heap memory and change CPU registers of any program. If you know enough assembly, you can rule the world.
    Basically what he said, except the last part, "if you know enough assembly, you can rule the world". In essence you'd grow a white beard so fast by time you try to DARE implement some procedural calls into assembly language manually lol.

But once again, c and c++, with java and some other languages are good to know.

The main thing you should get out of languages is that each language is designed for a particular SET of tasks. So in essence, you can solve specific problems relating to say database management in sql than you can in say like c++ or java.
    Thus, get to know with what "type" of problems you'd generally be dealing with and learn languages from there on.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I took some C++ & Java in college but I remember NOTHING. lol
    I had to create a 3 layer webpage using notepad. I think I still have it on a floppy somewhere of course with no way to read it since no one uses floppy drives anymore...

Vettester is offline Banned
    - GAL -->

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I also find Thai useful for picking up Thai girls who dont know any English yet.

eazyduzit is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I also find Thai useful for picking up Thai girls who dont know any English yet.
    Lol @ this. I miss thailand Must go again, time for round 3

And leave the coding to the indians, its cheaper to outsource it anyways. Theres all these sites u can hire a coder for like 5 bucks so whats the point in learning a language? other than small batch scripts or pearl scripts

ManCandy is offline New Member
    Bah to leaving coding to the Indians. I'm a whitey and I hire/fire Indians

I'm a software developer by profession. I started learning C/C++ on FreeBSD back in the 90's and have spent the last 12 years working at one of the world's largest software companies. My personal favorite is C/C++ as I have fine-grained control over what I'm doing. Higher level languages tend to cause problems when things like memory management and performance become issues and are solely out of your control.

My faves are C/C++ and C#.

ziggypiggy is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ManCandy View Post

My faves are C/C++ and C#.
    You don't consider C# higher level?

odi et amo is offline Female Member
    oh christ I really thought you mean real-life languages like German for eg. I'm gonna learn how to write codes one day hopefully.

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    You can go unmanaged in c#, which imo makes it high/low hybrid. Nobody I know (I'm a c#/sql developer) thinks its a good idea to do so however nor have I ever tried it.

Thread Information