Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Splifton is offline Associate Member

Gaming Computers

I used to be an avid gamer in my teens, but now it's sporadic and mostly occurs during the cold winter months and sporadic moments of insomnia. Right now I use a gaming laptop, but I have a little bit of money in my savings and was thinking of building myself a desktop or purchasing an already built rig catering towards my desires. I feel my laptop is pretty damn sufficient, but i've had many issue with it's SLI features and the compatibility of having a laptop GPU vs. desktop GPU. Anyone got suggestions?

My set up is....

-Intel i-7 6700k 4.2Ghz
    -1TB HDD
    -x2 Nvidia GTX 980M 8GB DDR5 VRAM each
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    The integrated chip I believe is just the usual Intel HD 4600
    Native resolution: 1920x1080i. I have the option of supersampling my resolution in games, but I can only get to 4x SSAA and even then during heavy graphical intense moments I drop down to the low 30's in FPS.

A lot of games don't really utilize the SLI function or they do so in a very rudimentary manner. That was my reasoning behind getting a desktop build as I can get myself a Nvidia Titan X and I can get more than 16GB of RAM that is preferably DDR4 vs. DDR3 and has speeds around the 2000's in terms of Mhz. Also, having an HDD has proven it's disadvantages when playing extremely graphic intensive games. I also use photoshop as a little side gig and it's not uncommon to hit 10+GB of RAM when working with high resolution textures e.g 4096x4096 and up.

EDIT: I see I just singled myself out as the only person here who didn't give up on gaming after 13....
    Last edited by Splifton; 10-19-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Thread Information