Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Crossfit - Thoughts?

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries

Crossfit - Thoughts?

Just like the title says, what are your thoughts?
    Anyone here into it? What do you guys think of it?
    Is it just a passing fad or trend or is it here to stay?
    MY gut reaction is to hate it LOL but honestly I dont know much about it. Share your thoughts on it here man. Id love to hear what everyone thinks.....

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I'm not into it at all either LOL - don't want to be either

I do think it's here to stay tho - it's great for leaning out(& it is more functional for the body maybe?! - idk) but I also don't know much about it(it combines strength/agility/power/& of course conditioning)...

IMHO I think one can achieve the same goals with a good circuit training concept(HIIT/FIT/Circuits etc) imo it's a glorified circuit training that one could achieve with implementing some Oly lifts(cleans/snatches/clean & press) strength training w/conditioning, plyo's for power in 6-10min increments or until the body can not perform another rep at the highest rate of speed while under control!
    Last edited by NACH3; 11-03-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    jimmyinkedup and songdog like this.

fxrjuiceman is offline Associate Member
    Crossfit blows my neibor and wife are into it it's not about having muscle or strength it's more of a mind over matter endurance skinny as ripped 160pound guys squating jumping everyday haha it's just funny u train all fkn year and look like an average person. Jimmy this is all personal experience of course it does promote a healthy lifestyle which that I can't hate on
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member

Splifton is offline Associate Member
    I can't seem to successfully weed out the videos that are purely created for someone wanting to show they follow an overnight trend and be "current." They overrun youtube for the most part and seldom do you encounter someone actually performing exercises and are thoroughly impressed. The few videos I do see it's pretty amazing to watch the conditioning some of these guys/girls possess.

Like NACH3 said, "it's a glorified circuit training." Someone basically took traditional strength and conditioning principles, altered the flow at times in bizarre ways, frequently sacrificing form in exchange for ego inflating workloads, and compile it all together in a montage with electronic/EDM music.

I'd love to get back into Olympic lifts after watching them. I just don't trust my ability to correct any imperfections in form.
    DCI and bloodchoke like this.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    It's a very injury prone fad..... It's a longer lasting fad but still just that
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    This was my initial thought but I think it is actually growing. I thought by now it would be on the down-slide as I agreed with your thinking....that it is a fad.
    The more time that passes, however, it is actually growing in participation and popularity. In my area there are actually a couple of "gyms" opening that are strictly gear to crossfit. They are like personal training studios that do circuit type crossfit workouts. I watched part of one and it reminded me of a kicked up boot camp type thing. Anyway these places are hanging their hats on this thing, banking that it isnt just a fad. As of right now I talked to the one owner and he is enrolling an average of 2-3 people per day (or so he says). Thats pretty impressive if it is true for a passing fad. Jury is still out for me (on what it is, I have no interest in participation lol).
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 11-03-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    ^^ sure is! But like Jimmy mentioned it's actually growing... its big out here back east everywhere ATM - Gyms and studios are popping up and doing well, just being geared towards Crossfit

It's not for me one bit - but if I was to open up a gym/studio I would offer it... But I'd want a total package(BBers/PLs/and cross fit - people want to pay for this & it's just a glorified circuit any good trainer could put together - but the form is atrocious hence the injuries in the sport!
    Last edited by NACH3; 11-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.
    jimmyinkedup and DCI like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    This was my initial thought but I think it is actually growing. I thought by now it would be on the down-slide as I agreed with your thinking....that it is a fad.
    The more time that passes, however, it is actually growing in participation and popularity. In my area there are actually a couple of "gyms" opening that are strictly gear to crossfit. They are like personal training studios that do circuit type crossfit workouts. I watched part of one and it reminded me of a kicked up boot camp type thing. Anyway these places are hanging their hats on this thing, banking that it isnt just a fad. As of right now I talked to the one owner and he is enrolling an average of 2-3 people per day (or so he says). Thats pretty impressive if it is true for a passing fad. Jury is still out for me (on what it is, I have no interest in participation lol).
    That would be a pretty risky business plan to go all in on something so feeble in it's current stage. I think the desire for Cross Fit in an area is directly related to the demographic. Traditional bodybuilding has been seen with pessimism in areas full of hipsters. It doesn't help that a Planet Fitness is popping up at the same frequency of Starbucks either.
    NACH3 and jimmyinkedup like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Splifton View Post
    That would be a pretty risky business plan to go all in on something so feeble in it's current stage. I think the desire for Cross Fit in an area is directly related to the demographic. Traditional bodybuilding has been seen with pessimism in areas full of hipsters. It doesn't help that a Planet Fitness is popping up at the same frequency of Starbucks either.
    I agree it is a gamble. The one owner that I spoke too at some length seems to have himself a fairly sweet deal. He didnt have to do a long term lease and negotiated that the landlord paid for part of the fit out of the building (strip center storefront) so I think he is in an ok spot. Even if it lasts only a few years he may be able to get while the getting is good if the fad dies down, and if it takes off well then of course he is set.
    I am sure not everyone has such a well negotiated lease however and I definitely see your point.

I agree it is a gamble. The one owner that I spoke too at some length seems to have himself a fairly sweet deal. He didnt have to do a long term lease and negotiated that the landlord paid for part of the fit out of the building (strip center storefront) so I think he is in an ok spot. Even if it lasts only a few years he may be able to get while the getting is good if the fad dies down, and if it takes off well then of course he is set.
    I am sure not everyone has such a well negotiated lease however and I definitely see your point.
    At the end of the day business is business. I feel maybe he is just keeping as much irons in the fire so when one goes out he has many other to fall back on. Plenty of entrepreneurs make their stake by assessing the opportunity and taking advantage of the unclaimed wealth before conglomeration ensues and market over saturation destroys everything. Heh look at the .com stocks back in early 2000's...

More power to him!

I think it's also riding on the abrupt retaliation to social media and the influx in "body shaming." It seems to me to be a rather open minded collective and those who feel they are outcasts to traditional fitness seek refuge in the judge-free zone.

Doesn't get more open minded than this form of cultural hedonism!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crossfit - Thoughts?-crossfitlol.jpg  
    Last edited by Splifton; 11-03-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I watched the Fittest man championship this year, I was impressed.
    http://games.crossfit.com/

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Is that the contest which resembled a strong man-esque challenges, but it wasn't enormous weight? I saw something on ESPN when I was walking through the study hall on T.V one day at school, but never had the chance to investigate. I'm going to youtube it right now.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Holy shit! My view completely changed. I think something got lost in translation when the real CrossFit athletes shared the principles with common peasants.

That is some brute power and speed.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

BG
    You can't go by the dumb videos online. The real crossfit is nasty. Not for me but the deserve respect.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

You can't go by the dumb videos online. The real crossfit is nasty. Not for me but the deserve respect.
    Hah after watching that and what I've said before in the past I just feel like a typical bigot. It just really is challenging to dig through youtube videos at times because the most relevant videos provided with the highest view count are typically the most irrelevant and prepubescent in quality that I end up throwing in the towel.

Either that or I somehow end up in those really strange parts of youtube that I still can't figure out why they exists. Case in point I was watching the republican debate online and a related video popped up on the side, but it was a promo for a dude dressed up in steam punk clothing hunting drones in the desert with a 12-gauge shotgun that had a silencer......... I tend to lose interest pretty fast when trying to search, but thank you for posting up that link BG. It was pretty motivating! Makes me want to go out and try some of those challenges.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

DSS
    DSS is offline Associate Member
    Wife's big into it. It's like the opposite of fight club.

1st rule of cross fit, always talk about cross fit

2nd rule of cross fit, always talk about cross fit

Etc...

Admire the stamina of the WOD's ( hate the lingo ) but form is terrible. But then 200 pull-ups will cause that.
    Attended a couple of the competitions she was in and the pyshio room had a cue of, shoulder, back and leg injuries.
    Splifton and jimmyinkedup like this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    CrossFit Games | The Fittest on Earth
    BG is this the guy whose won it the past 4 yrs in a row? Plus that guy is in some serious shape(he was 5-10/11 and 220+ and is stronger and more conditioned than anyone I've seen(in a long time)and did it in a Crossfit championship weighing that much more than his opponents
    jimmyinkedup, ghettoboyd and BG like this.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    What I meant was..... It's gaining popularity still but in time..... It will fade. We also can't look at the best of the best either..... Look at crosscut as a whole just as everyone does for bodybuilding.

If we examine Phil heaths dedication, diet, training, etc we see something almost super human. Now when you look at the average amateur bodybuilder you see less impressive people.

Crossfit's main goal is to correctly teach you incorrect form. Look at how they do pull ups..... C'mon lol. I don't give a fvck if you can do 1000 of those. Let me see you do 20 dead hanging pull ups using your lats and no swing.

At the end of the day..... There's people out there that love it. With that said..... I'd open up a gym specifically for cross fit if I had the time and money. I don't have to like the sport/fad but if I can profit from it..... I'll love it and promote the shit out of it.
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

DSS
    Are you referring to the "kipping" and "butterflying" haz? Lol It's funny to watch.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Crossfit's main goal is to correctly teach you incorrect form.
    That's one hell of a catchy slogan!
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

DSS
    ^^^^ agreed some1 should write in
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

I bet if you said that little catchy punch line at a clandestine CrossFit gym in your introductory brochure... majority wouldn't even comprehend it's message and simply acknowledge the literature. It would be just like the devil in the details, but in this instance it's presence is so obvious it'll probably be oblivious.

It doesn't seem like too many people question what they are taught initially...
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

22-250 is offline Junior Member
    Some of it is crap... but the oly lifts are legit when the instructor mandates good form.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

fxrjuiceman is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Splifton
    At the end of the day business is business. I feel maybe he is just keeping as much irons in the fire so when one goes out he has many other to fall back on. Plenty of entrepreneurs make their stake by assessing the opportunity and taking advantage of the unclaimed wealth before conglomeration ensues and market over saturation destroys everything. Heh look at the .com stocks back in early 2000's... More power to him! I think it's also riding on the abrupt retaliation to social media and the influx in "body shaming." It seems to me to be a rather open minded collective and those who feel they are outcasts to traditional fitness seek refuge in the judge-free zone. Doesn't get more open minded than this form of cultural hedonism!

Hahaa pregnant chick squating 2 plate
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    One opened up 5 minute walk from me and I live in a small but growing town surrounded by farms.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Bodacious is offline Productive Member
    It's hard stuff. I myself have done several Crossfit workouts. I wouldn't put it down if you haven't tried it. It's just another way of excise. I know it has waxed my ass several times.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Blog Entries
    Id like to hear from more guys who have actually done it or do it.......
    Bodacious likes this.

Id like to hear from more guys who have actually done it or do it.......
    Hey Jimmy I use to do it all the time man. My wife loves it and competes in it. I am doing one with her In a few weeks for fun. Just for us to do something together. I stopped because of money issues for both of us to go and I also like to just push weight around and the sound of pushing it around. Plus I like this HIT, guys on here have me on. I love that. Have made great grains off of it. I still do some Oly lifts and some crossfit workouts with her. My wife is on another level when it comes to me doing CF and her doing it. She will wax me 10/10 times. She has a good shot at going to Regional next year if everything goes good for her. She missed it this year by 8 people.

I don't put anyone down willing to put the time and effort into fitness. Its all about making your self better. I want a better version my myself I want to do better for my self. I want to be the best at whatever that is.
    jimmyinkedup and NACH3 like this.

Blog Entries
    I have all the respect in the world for it and people that choose to live a health active lifestyle...that said it is not for me...I love the bbing lifestyle and training principals as far as exercise involving weights...I get my cardio from cross country mountain biking and that kicks my ass plenty with a lot of risk for injury...I watched crossfit on tv a few times and was impressed with the physiques of both male and female competitors...
    jimmyinkedup and Bodacious like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
    Hey Jimmy I use to do it all the time man. My wife loves it and competes in it. I am doing one with her In a few weeks for fun. Just for us to do something together. I stopped because of money issues for both of us to go and I also like to just push weight around and the sound of pushing it around. Plus I like this HIT, guys on here have me on. I love that. Have made great grains off of it. I still do some Oly lifts and some crossfit workouts with her. My wife is on another level when it comes to me doing CF and her doing it. She will wax me 10/10 times. She has a good shot at going to Regional next year if everything goes good for her. She missed it this year by 8 people.

I don't put anyone down willing to put the time and effort into fitness. Its all about making your self better. I want a better version my myself I want to do better for my self. I want to be the best at whatever that is.
    You see posts like this make me view it in a totally different light. Thanks for posting. Congrats to your wife as well. I agree with your thoughts re fitness. It is a personal thing for sure.
    Im going to keep finding out about it more so anyone else that has done it or does it please chime in. Plus I really want to continue to hear everyone's thoughts on it. As I said I had thought it was a fad but more and more I am not thinking it is.
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 11-03-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    NACH3 and Bodacious like this.

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have two friends that crossfit. They are always getting hurt!

I went with them to there gym and tried it out. It did kick my a**. Very hard stuff. With that said, it's still not for me. I feel like I can get a way better work out in without crossfit and focus on specific muscles without hurting myself like my friends both have done.

Also the intensity for me is way higher doing my BBer type work out over a crossfit workout (might be because I didn't no what the hell I was doing).
    Last edited by 73rr; 11-03-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    One more thing to add to my last comment. Both my friend are actually bigger then me and look alot better then me. Crossfit is the only training they do. Sooo, there is something to say about that!
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    I think you could easily find as many bodybuilding/power lifting "fail" videos as you could cross fit. Same with joggers who shit themselves running marathons.

I see people do crazy stuff at the gym all the time, from range of motions on presses that are like 1 inch, and other stuff that makes my muscles ache in pain just looking at.
    jimmyinkedup and NACH3 like this.

3day is offline Member
    I've been using crossfit to cut. I can not do the kipping or butterfly pullups due to the strain it puts on the shoulders and elbows so i just do them strict and allow my times to be higher. Absolutely love the workout Linda "AKA Three bars of death". I tend to stick around the workouts that involve allot of the oly lifts.
    Bodacious and jimmyinkedup like this.

BG
    Your not watching the real crossfit. Look at my link or into Reebok championships. Those dumb pull ups and cap are for the newbs that can train yet.
    What I meant was..... It's gaining popularity still but in time..... It will fade. We also can't look at the best of the best either..... Look at crosscut as a whole just as everyone does for bodybuilding.

If we examine Phil heaths dedication, diet, training, etc we see something almost super human. Now when you look at the average amateur bodybuilder you see less impressive people.

Crossfit's main goal is to correctly teach you incorrect form. Look at how they do pull ups..... C'mon lol. I don't give a fvck if you can do 1000 of those. Let me see you do 20 dead hanging pull ups using your lats and no swing.

At the end of the day..... There's people out there that love it. With that said..... I'd open up a gym specifically for cross fit if I had the time and money. I don't have to like the sport/fad but if I can profit from it..... I'll love it and promote the shit out of it.
    jimmyinkedup and bloodchoke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hoggage_54 View Post
    i think you could easily find as many bodybuilding/power lifting "fail" videos as you could cross fit. Same with joggers who shit themselves running marathons.

I see people do crazy stuff at the gym all the time, from range of motions on presses that are like 1 inch, and other stuff that makes my muscles ache in pain just looking at.

x2...
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3day View Post
    I've been using crossfit to cut. I can not do the kipping or butterfly pullups due to the strain it puts on the shoulders and elbows so i just do them strict and allow my times to be higher. Absolutely love the workout Linda "AKA Three bars of death". I tend to stick around the workouts that involve allot of the oly lifts.
    Kipping and Butterfly pulls are move advance movements. Butterfly being the most advanced. You will get them both with time and practice and good coaching. Linda is tough workout. Keep it up.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Its the golf of the health industry imo. As in ppl who are into it only do it as a part time thing theyll do a good few weeks of training then loose interest and come back to it again

Personally I don't get it at all but if ppl want to earth worm jim around a gym who am I to stop them.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

noon is offline Senior Member
    It's a young mans game.
    Chiropractors love it.
    I mean the ****ing love it
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information