Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    1) In the human digestive system, there are many enzymes to help digest our food. In the mouth, salivary amylase acts to break long starch molecules into maltose, a disaccharide. In the stomach, the enzyme pepsin functions to break proteins into smaller pieces called polypeptides. Because pepsin can only break the bonds next to certain amino acids, proteins are only broken into these shorter chains, and not digested all the way to amino acids. That must be done later, in the small intestine. Most digestion and absorption of nutrients occurs in the small intestine. A number of enzymes including maltase, sucrase, and lactase (which break down the corresponding disaccharides), trypsin and chymotrypsin (which further digest polypeptides to amino acids), and pancreatic lipase (which breaks fats into glycerol and fatty acids) are secreted by the pancreas into the small intestine. While not an enzyme but an emulsifying agent, bile is secreted by the gall bladder into the small intestine. All these, plus some enzymes secreted by the intestinal lining work to digest the food we eat.

So that pepsin doesn’t digest the cell that makes it, it is synthesized and secreted in an inactive form called pepsinogen. Other cells in the stomach lining produce hydrochloric acid (HCl), causing the stomach contents to have a pH of around 1 to 3. Since the pepsinogen and hydrochloric acid are secreted by different cells, they don’t come into contact with each other until they meet in the stomach cavity. Pepsinogen needs the low stomach pH and hydrochloric acid for conversion to pepsin. Once some of the pepsinogen is converted, that starts a chain reaction because pepsin can also trigger formation of more pepsin. This, by the way, is an example of a positive feedback loop (Campbell, 1987). This acidic pH range is also necessary for proper functioning of the pepsin: a pH of 2 is optimum for pepsin function (Campbell, 1987). Thus, it would be suspected that anything which changes stomach pH might interfere with both formation and effectiveness of pepsin.
    Those being carbonated drinks, sodas, etc.

One thing that can denature proteins, including enzymes, is a change in pH, and in the case of enzymes, this would cause them to cease functioning. While hydrochloric acid, itself, cannot break peptide bonds (Cunningham, 1989), the low pH in the stomach caused by carbonated beverages, denatures proteins in food, thereby changing their shape and exposing their peptide bonds so that pepsin can break these bonds. Even left-over salivary amylase is denatured, ceases to work, and is digested (Campbell, 1987). While hydrochloric acid does not actually digest food, it does help by softening the “glue” between the cells of various foods, making those foods more vulnerable to digestion by pepsin. Hydrochloric acid also helps by killing bacteria that are swallowed with food (Campbell, 1987).

The smell and/or taste of food triggers an initial burst of gastric juice (pepsin, HCl, etc.). Once food is in the stomach, its presence there triggers the release of the hormone, gastrin into the blood system. As this hormone recirculates to the stomach, it stimulates continued production of gastric juice. The presence of food dilutes the hydrochloric acid, so stomach pH is a little higher when food is present, stimulating the secretion of more gastric juice. As the stomach gradually empties, the pH decreases. If the pH of the stomach becomes too low, that inhibits secretion of gastrin, thus reducing the secretion of gastric juices. This is an example of a negative feedback loop (Campbell, 1987), one of the many involved in homeostasis.

NEXT:

Q | Are carbonated beverages good for bodybuilders?

A | Carbonated beverages are often viewed as digestive aids because the gas from the carbonation causes distension of the stomach and intestines. This distension is sensed by the gastrointestinal (GI) system and causes an increase in motility--meaning the food that's in the stomach passes through the GI tract at a faster rate. This may be good for decreasing indigestion but bad for enhancing digestion and absorption of nutrients--particularly amino acids from protein.

Carbonation may interfere with absorption because the higher acidity of such beverages inhibits normal secretion of stomach enzymes, such as proteases, which break down protein into amino acids. Carbonated beverages also may somehow force much of the food consumed to sit in the higher part of the stomach, where the enzymes are not found, preventing the normal breakdown of protein.

If food moves more rapidly through the stomach, there is less time for enzymes to do their work. Also, if fewer enzymes are doing their work, some of the protein you've eaten may not get properly digested.

Another problem with drinking a carbonated beverage during a meal is that you may feel less satiated afterward. This was discovered in a study of patients with indigestion and constipation. Carbonated water taken with meals reduced the study subjects' indigestion and constipation, but they were less satiated than when they drank plain water with food.

~SC~
    Excellent! I've been wondering about this for some time(not so much for PWO, but carbonated beverages in general). Thanks for the info SC.

longhornDr is offline Member
    [QUOTE=SwoleCat]

1) In the human digestive system, there are many enzymes to help digest our food. In the mouth, salivary amylase acts to break long starch molecules into maltose, a disaccharide. In the stomach, the enzyme pepsin functions to break proteins into smaller pieces called polypeptides. Because pepsin can only break the bonds next to certain amino acids, proteins are only broken into these shorter chains, and not digested all the way to amino acids. That must be done later, in the small intestine. Most digestion and absorption of nutrients occurs in the small intestine. A number of enzymes including maltase, sucrase, and lactase (which break down the corresponding disaccharides), trypsin and chymotrypsin (which further digest polypeptides to amino acids), and pancreatic lipase (which breaks fats into glycerol and fatty acids) are secreted by the pancreas into the small intestine. While not an enzyme but an emulsifying agent, bile is secreted by the gall bladder into the small intestine. All these, plus some enzymes secreted by the intestinal lining work to digest the food we eat.
    [QUOTE=SwoleCat]
    Irrelevant. Whats the point of cutting and pasting that?

[QUOTE=SwoleCat]

So that pepsin doesn’t digest the cell that makes it, it is synthesized and secreted in an inactive form called pepsinogen. Other cells in the stomach lining produce hydrochloric acid (HCl), causing the stomach contents to have a pH of around 1 to 3. Since the pepsinogen and hydrochloric acid are secreted by different cells, they don’t come into contact with each other until they meet in the stomach cavity. Pepsinogen needs the low stomach pH and hydrochloric acid for conversion to pepsin. Once some of the pepsinogen is converted, that starts a chain reaction because pepsin can also trigger formation of more pepsin. This, by the way, is an example of a positive feedback loop (Campbell, 1987). This acidic pH range is also necessary for proper functioning of the pepsin: a pH of 2 is optimum for pepsin function (Campbell, 1987). Thus, it would be suspected that anything which changes stomach pH might interfere with both formation and effectiveness of pepsin.
    Those being carbonated drinks, sodas, etc.
    [QUOTE=SwoleCat]

There's no reason to believe one can of coke would significantly alter stomach pH, sorry the feedback mechanisms are very efficient, maybe if you chugged a liter or something.

[QUOTE=SwoleCat]
    , the low pH in the stomach caused by carbonated beverages, denatures proteins in food, thereby changing their shape and exposing their peptide bonds so that pepsin can break these bonds. [QUOTE=SwoleCat]

Hmm this seems to suggest that soda would actually enhance protein digestion. Still havent seen anything about absorption being decreased.

[QUOTE=SwoleCat]

Q | Are carbonated beverages good for bodybuilders?

A | Carbonated beverages are often viewed as digestive aids because the gas from the carbonation causes distension of the stomach and intestines. This distension is sensed by the gastrointestinal (GI) system and causes an increase in motility--meaning the food that's in the stomach passes through the GI tract at a faster rate. This may be good for decreasing indigestion but bad for enhancing digestion and absorption of nutrients--particularly amino acids from protein.
    [QUOTE=SwoleCat]

Irrelevant when considering a protein shake, the food is already in liquid form and ready to be digested in the small intestine by pancreatic enzymes.

[QUOTE=SwoleCat]
    Carbonation may interfere with absorption because the higher acidity of such beverages inhibits normal secretion of stomach enzymes, such as proteases, which break down protein into amino acids. Carbonated beverages also may somehow force much of the food consumed to sit in the higher part of the stomach, where the enzymes are not found, preventing the normal breakdown of protein.
    [QUOTE=SwoleCat]

The supposed higher acidity would stimulate release of pancreatic enzymes in the small intestine, enhancing digestion and absorption. Again, stomach enzymes and location of solid food in the fundus of the stomach is irrelevant when considering liquid protein in a PWO meal. the majority of protein digestion occurs in the small intestine, NOT the stomach.
    [QUOTE=SwoleCat]

If food moves more rapidly through the stomach, there is less time for enzymes to do their work. Also, if fewer enzymes are doing their work, some of the protein you've eaten may not get properly digested.

[QUOTE=SwoleCat]
    Again, the stomach plays a very small role in the digestion of protein, even less in the digestion of liquid protein in a PWO shake.

I expected you to be able to find a little better source of information considering that "everybody" knows carbonation inhibits protein absorption. There's nothing in what you posted except extrapolation from a half-assed, incomplete understanding of GI physiology, no data at all.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I should have probably mentioned that I am "done" here in this thread.

As I stated before, to each his own, but bantering is simply a waste of time, and I've spent enough time helping those who desired to be helped already, so my job here is finished. No more negative energy from me, if you don't like what I have presented that are actual facts, then tough sh*t. Go find someone else to play with, I ain't the one.

Happy Sunday!

~SC~

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    I'm too lazy to read through all this BS...... but basically like stated above do what you want and trying this Soda for PWO idea once in a while most likely won't kill your progress.....and if it does then obviously go back to a regular PWO shake w/ dextrose & Whey. D*mn I'm getting tired of all the drama in this forum......

Quote Originally Posted by aXe
    Excellent! I've been wondering about this for some time(not so much for PWO, but carbonated beverages in general). Thanks for the info SC.

You are welcome! I too was referring to carbonated offerings in general at ANY time as well, not just pwo offerings.

Some are stuck on the pwo time only and are thinking in a box in a one dimensional fashion, why I've no idea, but I can't hold everyone's hand.

Do as you wish, I most certainly do and I most certainly like my look.

~SC~

longhornDr is offline Member
    You are welcome! I too was referring to carbonated offerings in general at ANY time as well, not just pwo offerings.

Some are stuck on the pwo time only and are thinking in a box in a one dimensional fashion, why I've no idea, but I can't hold everyone's hand.

Do as you wish, I most certainly do and I most certainly like my look.

~SC~
    You're done with this thread because you have no factual basis for anything you've said, I would give up in your posistion too.

The original poster's question was about soda in the post-workout meal, so obviously this discussion should be stuck on pwo time only, duh.

insanepump621 is offline Member
    Alright there is no need for this i just heard it then i read then i read a interwview on jay cutler drinking it i was jus wondering... didnt mean to start a queer internet war... alls i wanted to kno was some info... it wasnt so silly to me though... as thought it made some sense to me but then again it wasnt very common... so thank but lets cut the bs...

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by insanepump621
    Alright there is no need for this i just heard it then i read then i read a interwview on jay cutler drinking it i was jus wondering... didnt mean to start a queer internet war... alls i wanted to kno was some info... it wasnt so silly to me though... as thought it made some sense to me but then again it wasnt very common... so thank but lets cut the bs...
    Queer internet war? You should watch who you talk about noob.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    You're done with this thread because you have no factual basis for anything you've said, I would give up in your posistion too.
    Didn't wanna be so blunt, but I am not giving up, it's just that your opinion about me on the matter doesn't register, and I simply do not care. I didn't wanna say "you/this is a waste of my time", but well, I guess brutal honesty is always best.

The petty attempted "key point" about PWO or not, is irrelevant, research clearly states carbonation interferes w/amino acid uptake, period. No matter to WHAT the degree, it IS affected. The factual basis is above, go ahead and dispute that all day, but this ain't "SwoleCourt", and I ain't presidin' over sh*t.

From what I"VE read/learned/adopted from those in the know, I've decided for myself that this isn't a wise idea at all. Why take chances? Why possibly limit yourself? In the off-season or something, I'll drink diet soda like mad, yes. But when it comes time to get down to business and do a show or shoot (don't know if you can relate to that, don't know your show/pic history) I eliminate all carbonated beverages. I don't see including them as a safe thing to do if you want the best for nutrient uptake, no.

With that, the others here who received the information they need and are straight. No more need be done.

As far as queers, well, I won't even address the newbie's comment about that. Karma and respect will have their way w/him in this forum should his current demeanor/attitude be a constant.

~SC~

ChefJ is offline Senior Member
    Just drink a couple of gatorades. They use dextrose as their major marketing. Nobody knows this but its the same crap as pedialyte or dextrose. Kent nutrition carries dextrose in 10 pound boxes. I work at a chop and brew house. Thats nice because the brewmaster has easy access to cheap dextrose. I buy it in 50 pound bags gor 40 cents per pound. They last about a year.

Gatorade is not a good choice pwo, and it is NOT the same as dextrose.

~SC~

insanepump621 is offline Member
    Sry swolecat we all cant spend all day on the computer like you... and i think longhorn has one up on you on this one and you keep saying your done with this thread but you keep coming back... it almost seems like you gotta keep defending yourself...everytime i post something in here... you respond but its never anything of encourgement or positivity... its always seems like becuase I dont know what you know im an idiot or something... im j/c and i come this board for some help... if you want to respond to my threads thats fine...but if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say it all...it seems to me that you usually tend to "lightly" flame ppl

Quote Originally Posted by insanepump621
    Sry swolecat we all cant spend all day on the computer like you... and i think longhorn has one up on you on this one and you keep saying your done with this thread but you keep coming back... it almost seems like you gotta keep defending yourself...everytime i post something in here... you respond but its never anything of encourgement or positivity... its always seems like becuase I dont know what you know im an idiot or something... im j/c and i come this board for some help... if you want to respond to my threads thats fine...but if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say it all...it seems to me that you usually tend to "lightly" flame ppl
    Who are you?

My head hurts from that rather large run-on sentence! Throw some periods in there for good measure! Anyhow, you are free to "think" what you wish, you don't sign my checks, nor do you have any bearing on my $$$, title here, success, etc. Let that marinate.

As far as 'having one up", this is not a contest. There simply IS no contest. Info. was presented, that's it. Anyone w/half a brain can read the research that was posted and make a decision for him/herself as to what it is one wishes to do. That is why the information is here, nothing more. It's pretty clear to me, but then again I was always tops in my class as far as intelligence. In regards to "always coming back" to this thread, well when persons such as yourself write highly opinionated bullsh*t such as you have done here, of course I will address it when I have time and when I see fit.
    You are new here, so you may not understand my style, but I don't flame anyone lightly. If I flame someone, they'll know it. There is a difference between a flame and intellectually tearing someone limb from limb. I am not where I am today because of flaming people, but rather from my ability to help, educate, counsel, etc. If anything, I was flamed FIRST by being told I pulled things "out of my ass". Never once did I flame anyone.

So, before you offer up your opinion that matters about as much as the gum on the bottom of my shoe, accrue some kind of worth here so that what you say may have some bearing on the given situation, because as of now it's simply like a commercial that has been muted, waiting for the regularly scheduled programming to resume.

Peace be with you,

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 01-31-2005 at 10:09 AM.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member

Okay "DOC".

I'll refrain from crossing paths w/you again, not worth it.

Enjoy your coke.

~SC~

and a smile bitch! hahaha

This is getting old now

And read my d*mn location.........I'm one up on everyone and have been for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    and a smile bitch! hahaha

I remember that from Eddie Murphy.
    Have a coke and a smile and shut the f*ck up.

~SC~

Yes! You are king oh great one!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    .I'm one up on everyone and have been for a long time

Yes! You are king oh great one!

~SC~

~SC~

Oh $hit that's who said it......I was trying to remember. I was pretty sure a coke and a smile were lyrics in a song too...... but I can't remember which one.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    Oh $hit that's who said it......I was trying to remember. I was pretty sure a coke and a smile were lyrics in a song too...... but I can't remember which one.

Hahaha is it from Beverly hills cop?

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member

~SC~

yeah hahaha thats when he was actually funny as hell!

Cry0smate is offline Member
    Thanks for posting up that article. I've always heard it was detrimental, but never really understood why until this thread. Atleast some good came out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Atwacity
    Thanks for posting up that article. I've always heard it was detrimental, but never really understood why until this thread. Atleast some good came out of it!
    You are entirely welcome. It is people such as yourself that I post the information for, those who wish to read and learn.

What the others are doing here in the thread w/their own agendas, who knows, and really, who cares is the better question.

~SC~

If Ya Want To Drink A Soda Before After Or Hell In Place Of A Protien Shake...feel Free...... I Know What Im Gonna Do.... Bump...to Swolecat I Agree 100%

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    dear lord!! i leavce the boards for a couple days and come back and see what happend th this thread!!! ppl gotta grow uuuuup.

time to understand that LMO is one step up on all of us haha

dcb

Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag
    dear lord!! i leavce the boards for a couple days and come back and see what happend th this thread!!! ppl gotta grow uuuuup.

time to understand that LMO is one step up on all of us haha

dcb

D*mn Right

Even 956Vette to me

GQSuperman is offline Banned

calm down

jeez,

sounds like "doc" has a point with the physiology. although, i don't think many people would advocate drinking soda on a regular basis during PWO (caffeine etc).

swole, you do flame...and did here...just very subtle about it...using comments like "doc" etc. also, as far as advice, no one claims you don't give advice or help many people. although, at times, you're replies are anything but helpful....sometimes they are simply insulting...in a very subtle way. specifically, if someone isn't extremely specific...although the jist of what they are looking for is apparent, you type sarcastic remarks etc. those don't help anyone.

now, i know i'm a "nobody" and i'll get flamed for this, but those are the facts. i know your so knowledgable and have so much other stuff going on that this won't affect you etc...blah blah blah, but i don't live an breath at this site and i don't have time to be on the internet all day, so i don't care if i get banned etc. granted, people aren't always specific in their requests and they don't always search, but sometimes a non-reply is better than one that doesn't answer their question.... if you're truly only here to help people and not get your post count up....

My three don'ts:

Don't like my advice, don't utilize it.

Don't like my offerings, don't read them.

Don't like me, tough sh*t.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by GQSuperman

now, i know i'm a "nobody"
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 01-31-2005 at 04:43 PM.

exactly

one more post for "the man"!!!!

...oh, that wasn't a flame...bro, trust me, you'd know it if i flamed you.....

ahh, got to love the ego of an "internet fitness guru"...oh wait..."investment balla", oh wait...man who created an internet world where he is god and can't stand it when someone doesnt' agree with him.

truth is, with all of your fitness "ventures", you need people, so why don't you check your ego at the door.

i usually address my questions to guys like nsa or bryan2. they may not be "gurus" like you, but they at least are polite in their responses and don't sound pompous. so, throw another ice bag on your knees while you come up with another witty response to add to your post count total.
    Last edited by GQSuperman; 01-31-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Keep flaming, you'll get far that way.

I simply said if you don't like me, then shut the f*ck up already. Yet, you KEEP yapping. Your worse than my ex-girl, wow......

You feel the need to point out what you "THINK" are downfalls of me, but I DON'T CARE. That is not what this thread is about. If you have an issue w/me, pm me or e-mail me.

Yes, I am a baller dont' forget that, and I've more than enough people in my entourage. You need not concern yourself w/my business practices, trust me, that's
    doing very well.

~SC~

oh, caps

you OBVIOUSLY care....about your post total. hence the replies.

so, as you so nicely put it yourself...i'll shut the **** up. not that that was a flame or anything, b/c i'd know it if you were flaming me.

My post count is high because I've been here for AGES. Besides, what's your obsession w/post count? I could care less about post count, people recognize my NAME, not how many posts I have. Perhaps you identify w/posts, I identify w/reputation, tenor, history, all of which I have a great deal of all over the place. Type my name into Google, then type yours. What are the results? There, perfect example of how a NAME identifies you, not some silly number.

Why don't you spend an hour or so and thumb through the diet forum and look at the advice I have given? When you only know 1/10th of a story, you have no ability to write a legitimate report on it. I've helped more people here than you ever will, so I'd think twice about saying such assinine things in regards to not helping anyone. Why do you think I was awarded the title I now sport?

1) Because I am a diet guru who has helped 1000's. (100's here alone and that information is ARCHIVED)

2) Because I am a "baller" who has a lot of money invested in many areas on the Net, message boards, supplement sites, supporting others endeavors, etc. Things that others in charge/behind the scenes/the big guns only know about, so I don't expect you to understand. You're actually not supposed to, that's the point.

Carry on.

~SC~

Cry0smate is offline Member
    Can I have smashed up doughnuts for PWO? LOL j/k.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwacity
    Can I have smashed up doughnuts for PWO? LOL j/k.
    Yeah, why not? Soda and doughnuts, it's the American way!

~SC~

BDTR is offline Retired
    That's really not needed at all, that's your warning, don't let it happen again. Everyone cut the crap, now.

Quote Originally Posted by GQSuperman
    so, throw another ice bag on your knees while you come up with another witty response to add to your post count total.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information