Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    the nail in the coffen on the kidney stone issue

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...689&query_hl=1

Ann Nutr Metab. 1997;41(5):269-82. Related Articles, Links

No contribution of ascorbic acid to renal calcium oxalate stones.

Gerster H.

Vitamin Research Department, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Basel, Switzerland.

Even though a certain part of oxalate in the urine derives from metabolized ascorbic acid (AA), the intake of high doses of vitamin C does not increase the risk of calcium oxalate kidney stones due to physiological regulatory factor: gastrointestinal absorption as well as renal tubular reabsorption of AA are saturable processes, and the metabolic transformation of AA to oxalate is limited as well. Older assays for urinary oxalate favored in vitro conversion of AA to oxalate during storage and processing of the samples. Recurrent stone formers and patients with renal failure who have a defect in AA or oxalate metabolism should restrict daily vitamin C intakes to approximately 100 mg. But in the large-scale Harvard Prospective Health Professional Follow-Up Study, those groups in the highest quintile of vitamin C intake (> 1,500 mg/day) had a lower risk of kidney stones than the groups in the lowest quintiles.
    Can even DISOLVE kidney stones
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/testimony.htm

It was Canadian physician William J. McCormick, M.D., who first advocated vitamin C to prevent and cure the formation of kidney stones 50 years ago (McCormick, WJ. Lithogenesis and hypovitaminosis. Medical Record. 159:7, July, p 410-413). In 1946 he wrote:

"I have observed that a cloudy urine, heavy with phosphates and epithelium, is generally associated with a low vitamin C status. . . and that as soon as corrective administration of the vitamin effects a normal ascorbic acid (vitamin C) level the crystalline and organic sediment disappears like magic from the urine. I have found that this change can usually be brought about in a matter of hours by large doses of the vitamin, 500 to 2,000 mg, oral or parenteral." (p. 411) [Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, Vol. 18, No. 2, 2003, p 93-96.]
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 06-18-2005 at 08:18 AM.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Im very interested in supplementing with high dosages of vitamin c also, because I have read a number of articles that say how important it is. From my point of view, I would like a more definate yes on the safety front though, before I go poppin like 10 vitamin c tablets a day.

jamesC pic upp a book called "vitamin c and the comon cold" by linus pauling it is very good at demonstrating the safety of vitamin c. Its old, from the 70's. But it doesnt make it less valid.

the quotes I have posted in this thread I feel also demonstrates how safe it realy is. The merck manual doesnt even have any listing of its toxicity(sp?).

Also pic upp the book "Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases, and Toxins"
    by Thomas Levy I havent read it yet but I hear its very good. Levy is the foremost authority on ascorbic acid right now.

IMPORTANT

If anyone is going to experiment with vitamin c make sure you take one of these 3 forms of it

Ascorbic acid
    Sodium Ascorbate
    Magnesium ascorbate

NO OTHER FORM SHOULD BE USED, not zink ascorbate, potatisium ascorbat, calcium ascorbate or any other. Ascorbate isnt dangerous in high dosage but the mineral it is attached to might have short or long term sides in the dosages Im recomending.
    Sodium and magnesium on the other hand is extremely hard to overdose and the sodium in sodium ascorbate isnt to be worried about since most things point towards sodium chloride beeing the only form of sodium that causes water retention and all other negative things associated with sodium.

Best choise is sodium ascorbate because of the price and neutral ph. Ascorbic acid is cheap but its acidic(ph betwen 2-3 in a 5% solution) and can cause stomach discomfort. Sodium and magensium ascorbate is ph neutral and doesnt disturb the stomach.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information