justme is offline Associate Member

male vs female body fat percentage

I was told that percentages of body fat very for men and women. ie: 20% isn't that bad for a women and 12-15% is about the same on a man.

on a online body fat calculator all I did was change it from being a man to a women and it went up allot.

so is this true or false? (any details would be appreciated.)

Jenna is offline Female Member
    I went and got mine done a couple of weeks ago and I was at 16%... I KNOW I was tons leaner in Feb. so for me ideally would be 13-14%....

<<<< JENNA >>>>

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    depends on standards, in terms of bodybuilding 15 and 20 are bit high. Gernally women carry more body fat, and anything under 20 is consider lean. For men and bodybuilding ideally 12 or less and for women under 16.. but always easy to maintain, but that would be ideal. For general well being your numbers are about right.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    For example look at the ages for 19-24 both male and female

Male
    <11 Excellant
    11-15 Very Good
    15-19 Good
    19-23 Fair
    >23 Poor

Female
    <19 Excellent
    19-22 Very Good
    22-25 Good
    25-30 Fair
    >30 Poor

Thats just a quick look if you really want the full list let me know and I,ll do a post but to answer your question women do tend to hold more fat than males and in different areas as well eg butt thighs upper arms where as guys tend to have it around the middle section.

The figures above are for a normal person but as EC said these would be deemed quite high in the BB world.

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    The reason why most charts calculate womens BF at a different rate is that women 1) tend to store more BF than men. 2) women store thier BF alot differently, i.e intramuscular and internally. 20 % for a women is not that bad.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    It has to be higher on women by definition. I won't begin an anotomical conversation here but it you think about it it should be clear. If you ask me to spell it out I will.

Another thing is that those charts are silly. For my age I think 22% is healthy (please dont ask me how old that is). Personally I think 8% is closer to where I want to be. I think the charts must have been created by some fat guy.

The charts were made for normal everyday people not guys and gals that excercise everyday take drugs to get their bodyfats down to insane levels thats why the charts are not suitable for us they are OK for indication purposes only

sniper105 is offline Junior Member
    It is a medical fact that women have an extra layer of fat than men. This also explains why if a man and a woman of the same weight consume alcohol the woman will get intoxicated faster.

Originally posted by sniper105
    It is a medical fact that women have an extra layer of fat than men. This also explains why if a man and a woman of the same weight consume alcohol the woman will get intoxicated faster.
    Huh?

I know of women that weigh less than I do and can out drink me so I,m sure if that statement is logical or a medical fact.I,m curious as to how women have an extra layer of fat what like an overcoat? They carry more than males yes normally between 7-10% more.

sniper105 is offline Junior Member
    Billy,
    It may not be that they can out drink you, it is only that their tolerance is higher. They are just as intoxicated or more than you but show less outward signs. Alcohol is water soluable, not fat soluable. A fatter person is able to eliminate the alcohol faster as it has nothing to bind to as in thinner people with more water weight it is more easily absorbed in the body and stays longer. Hope this helps clear it up a little.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Is the reason women have a higher level of fat due to the fact they are the child bearers ? I think I read that somewhere. Could someone clarify if that is correct ?

Thanks

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Yep canes your right has to do with Child bearing. Hormones levels. That is why i tell ppl estrogen levels are important for guys tring to cut. Estrogen makes it hard to cut body fat and women have more thus tend to carry more fat.

Originally posted by eye_candy
    Yep canes your right has to do with Child bearing. Hormones levels. That is why i tell ppl estrogen levels are important for guys tring to cut. Estrogen makes it hard to cut body fat and women have more thus tend to carry more fat.
    makes sense, thanks EC

Originally posted by sniper105
    Billy,
    It may not be that they can out drink you, it is only that their tolerance is higher. They are just as intoxicated or more than you but show less outward signs. Alcohol is water soluable, not fat soluable. A fatter person is able to eliminate the alcohol faster as it has nothing to bind to as in thinner people with more water weight it is more easily absorbed in the body and stays longer. Hope this helps clear it up a little.
    I still don't get it I thought getting drunk was relative to the blood concentration levels and nothing to do with fat.What your saying is a fatter person takes longer to get pissed?

I,m not saying you are wrong it just does not make sense to me

Originally posted by Billy Boy

I still don't get it I thought getting drunk was relative to the blood concentration levels and nothing to do with fat.What your saying is a fatter person takes longer to get pissed?

I,m not saying you are wrong it just does not make sense to me
    Well I can account this story, a buddy of mine who I have talked about before here that is a competitive BBer, went with me to a bar to see the National Championship football game last January 3rd. This guy is lean as all getout, maybe 8% at the most, and this was 6 weeks after competeing in Atlanta in the Heavywieght Div of the NPC Nationals.

He had all of 2 beers and was TOTALLY sloshed, doesn't drink much and all it took was two beers and he was feeling no pain!

So Billy Boy it kinda makes sense if this what Sniper105 was saying.

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    Billy thats because they drink a 12 pack a day, they built up tolerance. Ha ha

Thread Information