Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    lc1987 is offline Associate Member

1 lb of protein per weight rule

does anyone still use this rule with great results? i personally take in at least 1.5
    i just had to put it out because i heard this one skinny abercrombie guy in the gym talking about it lol. god i hate those guys, they say a bunch of sh*t but they seriously have no clue what they are talking about. what's your take on this rule?

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    I take in around 1g per lb of body weight....1lb of protein sounds like a lot though

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Depends on what your goals are and if you're cutting/bulking.

Normally 1.5.
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I run 2g per pound bodyweight year round cutting or bulking whatever. It has always served me well, but that being said I wont always go over 400 per day, somtimes its around 350, if Im not working out that day.

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    I run 2g per pound bodyweight year round cutting or bulking whatever. It has always served me well, but that being said I wont always go over 400 per day, somtimes its around 350, if Im not working out that day.
    COuldn't have said it better myself, 2 grams per pound of bodyweight is the goal everyday no matter whether I'm cutting or bulking, I make sure 1.5 is the bare minimum...IMO it doesn't matter if you are bulking or cutting, if you are tearing muscle you need adequate protein to repair the damage and 2 grams is a solid way to go...

kyjelly is offline Banned
    Cutting::: 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight

and for Bulking:: 2-2.5

Doesn't make much sense Bino. I'd think you'd actually need just as much protein on your off days being that you'd be repairing muscle tissue all day w/out the stress from the gym. I'd think it should stay consistant from day to day, I'd only rotate carbs a bit.
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    Doesn't make much sense Bino. I'd think you'd actually need just as much protein on your off days being that you'd be repairing muscle tissue all day w/out the stress from the gym. I'd think it should stay consistant from day to day, I'd only rotate carbs a bit.
    Well The carbs are less as well, Im just counting the fact that I dont have a PWO shake so there foes 60g protein and about 100g carbs. Thats the only reason there is a defecit on non-workout days. Solely because I dont have the shake, still eat the same number of whole meals though.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm at 1 gr per lb LBM (not bodyweight)

Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I'm at 1 gr per lb LBM (not bodyweight)

Works for me.
    hey nark if i weigh at 155 right with about 10-11% bf my lean body mass would be 138 so is that how much protein i should be getting?

Quote Originally Posted by lc1987
    hey nark if i weigh at 155 right with about 10-11% bf my lean body mass would be 138 so is that how much protein i should be getting?
    If you're cutting.. yes.

If i'm bulking i may go to 1.35 gr per lb LBM

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I dont notice any difference in muscle/strenght gain from using 1g/ib or 1,5-2g/ibs. I do however try to get 1,5g/ib when cutting because of the benifits to fatburning it gives.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I usually hit 1.5-almost 2 while cutting and 2- sometimes almost 3..but Im crazy)

When im bulking strength gains come from everywhere..so it must work...

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Depends on the rest of your diet and your goals.

1buffsob

Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    Depends on the rest of your diet and your goals.

1buffsob
    ditto.

I think serious hard-training atheletes should consume adequate carbs whether bulking or cutting.

Provided your carb intake is adequate, 1 gr per lb LBM should be sufficient... as carbs are protein-sparing

Logically if you drop your carb intake, you will need to up your protein intake

I shoot for 1.5/lb LBM while bulking as carbs make up the majority of my calories.

While cutting/clean bulking I will go with 2g/lb as my carbs drop.. you have to pay attention to your total calorie intake and adjust it as needed.

Too much protein IMO is almost as bad as too little.
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

yea i am currently doing about 1.5 and i am cutting. i think i would just keep it this way because it has always work well for me. i was just wondering because some people still talk about the 1lb. per bodyweight rule.

also i don't think it's necessary for me to go 2g because i am 5'6 155 i'm still a newbie and i am just starting to bodybuild right now and i don't wanna overdo it. my goal is not to get really huge but like ryan reynolds look from blade trinity.

CENADICT is offline Associate Member
    also i don't think it's necessary for me to go 2g because i am 5'6 155 i'm still a newbie and i am just starting to bodybuild right now and i don't wanna overdo it. my goal is not to get really huge but like ryan reynolds look from blade trinity.

1gm per 1lb LBM

I totally disagree with that reasoning...

You should to get it right from the beginning.

Do you know how many guys wish they could go back and correct the dietary/training mistakes they made in the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I totally disagree with that reasoning...

You should to get it right from the beginning.

Do you know how many guys wish they could go back and correct the dietary/training mistakes they made in the beginning?
    You better believe it, this is one of the most important things a newb can read.

Granted I started out pretty well thanks to my older brother helping me, but if I could have had the diet I have now when I started I would be much happier and have had better gains.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    i've tried 1g per lb and have gone up to 2g per lb and i can tell you from my personal experience, i gained much faster with 2g. i suppose it depends on the individual and how much protein your body can synthesize. without the carbs to back up the protein though, the extra protein won't do you much good.

Personally I don't see how you an go wrong with 1.5 and up, 2 preferably...If you are tearing apart muscles then you can't have enough protein...I mean feasibly to much is turned into fat, but do you realize how hard it is for ur body to turn protein into fat?? Its the last thing, last resort, that your body does with protein, not likely...

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09
    Personally I don't see how you an go wrong with 1.5 and up, 2 preferably...If you are tearing apart muscles then you can't have enough protein...I mean feasibly to much is turned into fat, but do you realize how hard it is for ur body to turn protein into fat?? Its the last thing, last resort, that your body does with protein, not likely...
    Granted, protein is difficult to turn into fat. However, it is still converted and used for energy if there is a lack of a better energy source. So while it may be hard to put on fat with an excess of protein, it doesn't help you lose weight if your cals are too high. So in that aspect, you can "go wrong with 1.5 and up, 2 preferably"

1.35g per pound of LBM cutting, and 2-3g when bulking. Works for me.

1buffsob

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    I mean feasibly to much is turned into fat, but do you realize how hard it is for ur body to turn protein into fat?? Its the last thing, last resort, that your body does with protein, not likely...
    are you a HS coach?

what does that mean?

Well when I'm cutting I'm not looking to lose weight as much as I am to burn fat, cut carbs, and induce some cardio....So obviously as a result my weight will drop because of hte loss of fat and introduction of cardio, but at the same time I'm trying to preserve muscle and keep as much away from the catabolic effects of cutting as possible...Also, I'm not big on calorie counting as much as I am on the kind of calories you are taking in when cutting, now obviously when bulking cals need to be high, but I'm of the philipophy that the kind of calories you take in while cutting is much more important than the amount...

Well when I'm cutting I'm not looking to lose weight as much as I am to burn fat, cut carbs, and induce some cardio....So obviously as a result my weight will drop because of hte loss of fat and introduction of cardio, but at the same time I'm trying to preserve muscle and keep as much away from the catabolic effects of cutting as possible...Also, I'm not big on calorie counting as much as I am on the kind of calories you are taking in when cutting, now obviously when bulking cals need to be high, but I'm of the philipophy that the kind of calories you take in while cutting is much more important than the amount...
    Spoken like a true ectomorph. If that were true, I wouldn't be fat. haha

1buffsob

Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    Spoken like a true ectomorph. If that were true, I wouldn't be fat. haha

1buffsob
    Oh don't you pull the ecto card on me ur jerk haha...Don't tell me what I said wasn't a legit argument...
    M.A.D.

diesel21 is offline Member
    a lot is mental.. i experimented goin w/ less, never lost any measurements, but everyones diff... but if your at 15% bf no need to "count" the extra pro

Oh don't you pull the ecto card on me ur jerk haha...Don't tell me what I said wasn't a legit argument...
    M.A.D.
    Haha.

Fact is, a calorie is a calorie when cutting. If you can't reach a calorie deficit when cutting, only the addition of cardio will burn fat. To make cutting more effective, it's best to reach a kcal deficit while doing cardio. Speeds the process up, making it more efficient.

1buffsob

Everything depends on how ur body reacts...Thats the bottom line for everything...

I stick with 1.5 atleast no matter what and I'm sticking to it, lol...Personally i find it hard to believe that too much protein is going to be turned to fat before it is jsut ridded by ur body...I feel that it will be shitted out before it is turned to fat, especially whey which is the quickest acting and digested protein...Not only that, with the amount of activity I have in my life I would find it hard to believe that my body couldn't find use for as much protein as I take in, thats my theory anyways...

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    I stick with 1.5 atleast no matter what and I'm sticking to it, lol...Personally i find it hard to believe that too much protein is going to be turned to fat before it is jsut ridded by ur body...I feel that it will be shitted out before it is turned to fat, especially whey which is the quickest acting and digested protein...Not only that, with the amount of activity I have in my life I would find it hard to believe that my body couldn't find use for as much protein as I take in, thats my theory anyways...
    well a simple way to look at it is this...

fat has 9 calories per gram
    carbs have 4 calories per gram
    protein has 3 calories per gram

now, of the 3 you can take in, protein has the lowest amount of calories. therefore, if any of them were going to be stored as fat, gram per gram, you're safest with the protein.

all in all, if you're taking in more calories than your body needs, doesn't matter if it's protein, carbs, fats, etc, they'll be stored as fat. at least with protein, there will be less fat stored proportionately.

Quote Originally Posted by ascendant
    well a simple way to look at it is this...

fat has 9 calories per gram
    carbs have 4 calories per gram
    protein has 3 calories per gram

now, of the 3 you can take in, protein has the lowest amount of calories. therefore, if any of them were going to be stored as fat, gram per gram, you're safest with the protein.

all in all, if you're taking in more calories than your body needs, doesn't matter if it's protein, carbs, fats, etc, they'll be stored as fat. at least with protein, there will be less fat stored proportionately.
    I'd always gone off of this...
    Protein = 4calories/gram
    Carb= 3.75calories/gram
    Fat= 9calories/gram
    Alcohol= 7calories/gram
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    what the shit

im like 266-267 right now

I did a nutrition project..i had to calculate everything...i take in 450 grms a day...

You guys think thats way overkill?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    what the shit

im like 266-267 right now

I did a nutrition project..i had to calculate everything...i take in 450 grms a day...

You guys think thats way overkill?
    no way. You dont wanna know what I did ed for 4 months..it might scare some people Im surprised my kidneys still work

I agree with all of that, but IMO all of your protein will be gone when it comes time for your body to store extra calories, whether the protein was crapped out or used, IMO it will be gone by then no matter how much you take in...I personally think you have to intentionally take in so much protein to have enough to be even stored as fat by the end of the day...Also, protein is a key component in many things besides just muscle building, so you have to remember that even if you are taking in more protein than your muscles will use, which I highly doubt will happen anyways, other processes in your body require it as well...

Yeah, but who runs a cutting diet without cardio???? Noone! And not only that your calories are still going to be at a deficit even with your protein high because of the cut carbs and cut fat...So there's no reason why you can't be at a caloric deficit without sacrificing your normal protein intake...I just did my macros 300 grams of protein, 100 grams of carbs, 30 grams fat....300(4)+100(3.75)+30(9)=1845 cals...1200 of which coming from protein...not to mention the 300 I burn on the bike during cardio in a half an hour and the cals burned during lifting!!! BUt I hate calorie counting liike I said its stupid...You could be at a caloric deficit consisting of 100 grams of fat and 100 grams of carbs thats it, would that be healthy???

Yeah, but who runs a cutting diet without cardio???? Noone!
    Not true actually.

I only started doing cardio around 2004.. and i've been competing shredded since 99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information