Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation

Protein Importance

I was just wondering if anyone has had any good results with gaining and or maintaining good LBM without consuming large amounts of protein.
    I took a couple Nutrition classes and the book states that protein doesn't build muscle...muscle work builds muscle.
    I don't believe everything I read everywhere and I know that the members here are experienced hands on and pretty much subscribe to the 1.5 or 2 grams per pound of body weight.
    But, I wanted to see if there were any other points of view or experiences on the subject.

thanks

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    Just look at my Weapons of Mass Destruction in my Avatar.
    Any questions?

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i cut this year on about 1.3g of protien per lb of bodyweight and maintained lbm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavinco
    Just look at my Weapons of Mass Destruction in my Avatar.
    Any questions?
    LOL...I am always in awe of those WMD's Georgy

Angelus is offline Associate Member
    i have had good results without getting large amound of Prot but ive got better results increasing the Prot

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    so you spend one hour a day in the gym. and 23 hours outside of it.

where do you guess that most of your muscle building/sparing takes place?

eat protein bro. most books/diets/advice is given to the public who just sit and don't build muscle on a daily basis. why do you think you grow when you rest and take days off. food builds bodies.

Bigmax is offline Retired VET~ If you dont know... ask me
    Where in gods name did you read that bro...when you go to the gym you actually break down the muscle.You grow out of the gym when you take in good nutrition..mainly protein!

thanks for reiterating.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    so you spend one hour a day in the gym. and 23 hours outside of it.

where do you guess that most of your muscle building/sparing takes place?

eat protein bro. most books/diets/advice is given to the public who just sit and don't build muscle on a daily basis. why do you think you grow when you rest and take days off. food builds bodies.
    really makes sense when put like that, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmax
    Where in gods name did you read that bro...when you go to the gym you actually break down the muscle.You grow out of the gym when you take in good nutrition..mainly protein!
    just in a "understanding nutrition" book from the college....it really has a very small section and pretty much states that adequate protein is only necessary...pretty much preaches the food pyramid throughout the book and in that small section of the book it states that supplementation of protein is unnecessary and possibly harmful and same about all vitamins in supplement form. Stressing getting nutrients from whole foods which I read on this site, the only difference is the protein emphasis.

food pyramind scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    food pyramind scares me.

funny stuff..
    actually I tried to follow it pretty closesly for about 6 months and my metabolism sucks...guess i'll have to start chowing down

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I dont think much over 1gram/ib is needed to build muscle. I have never seen any better results strenght wise when consuming say 400g protein instead of 200g.

When I keep it higher its because it helps in dropping and keeping fat away.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman
    just in a "understanding nutrition" book from the college....it really has a very small section and pretty much states that adequate protein is only necessary...pretty much preaches the food pyramid throughout the book and in that small section of the book it states that supplementation of protein is unnecessary and possibly harmful and same about all vitamins in supplement form. Stressing getting nutrients from whole foods which I read on this site, the only difference is the protein emphasis.
    The bolded part is pretty much the reason you should throw that book into the thrashcan and never open it again.

book gone...sold right after semester on eBay...2 semesters in a row...2 diff books Nutrition 1 and 2....seemed identical to me and i said that to professor and he says i can't believe you didn't see the difference....we all know those college books are a joke...and thanks for your input johan

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    i cut this year on about 1.3g of protien per lb of bodyweight and maintained lbm.
    I've been down to .75 gr per lb bodyweight...

I've never consistently been over 1 gr per lb bodyweight before.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman
    book gone...sold right after semester on eBay...2 semesters in a row...2 diff books Nutrition 1 and 2....seemed identical to me and i said that to professor and he says i can't believe you didn't see the difference....we all know those college books are a joke...and thanks for your input johan
    No problem.

Dont get me wrong. Textbooks for nutrition classes are gold. Thats the basis for all nutrition knoweledge right there.

But any book that make broad claims about all vitamin supplements shows a very wierd bias from the author.

The regular oppinion among dieticians and nutritionist seems to be that protein supplementation is not "needed".
    I can agree that its very possible to manage without protein supplements. But there is no harm in using them since they are very convinient. IMO there is no difference betwen getting 50 grams of protein from a steak or 50 grams of protein from some supplement(assuming aminoacid profile is fairly equal). The body doesnt care how it gets the protein aslong as it get it.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    The bolded part is pretty much the reason you should throw that book into the thrashcan and never open it again.
    Ditto

xpijeonx is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos

Body weight or lean mass? It may not be AS far off for someone as lean as yourself but can differ greatly for someone say 16-20% BF?

*edit* I ask cause I have been reading contradicting things lately and still trying to figure everything out and further my knowledge. *edit*

Thanks in advance,

last 7 weeks I have been at around 0.75g/ib myself and I have made some of the best strenght gains in my life. Real eye opener to me.

Quote Originally Posted by xpijeonx
    Body weight or lean mass? It may not be AS far off for someone as lean as yourself but can differ greatly for someone say 16-20% BF?

*edit* I ask cause I have been reading contradicting things lately and still trying to figure everything out and further my knowledge. *edit*

Thanks in advance,
    Well.. i'm pretty fat offseason (15% +).. and i've never had my bodyfat percentage tested.. ever.. I adjust my diet to my bodyweight... not necessarily to my lbm.. Tho from time to time i may adjust it to my guesstimated lbm.

last 7 weeks I have been at around 0.75g/ib myself and I have made some of the best strenght gains in my life. Real eye opener to me.

Where was your carb intake?

I keep telling people carbs are not the enemy!

well I havent realy been counting I have been on a lazy diet i.e my diet has sucked BADLY. Been eating what I want to eat and whenever I am hungry. So more or less 3-4 semi crappy meals everyday. No fast food though. Plenty of home made meatballs and things like that.

300+ grams of carbs I would guess.

Gained a fair bit of fat though.

well I havent realy been counting I have been on a lazy diet i.e my diet has sucked BADLY. Been eating what I want to eat and whenever I am hungry. So more or less 3-4 semi crappy meals everyday. No fast food though. Plenty of home made meatballs and things like that.

lol.. that's probably from the macro combinations

It's easily rectifiable tho

Man tru my contest prep i was at about 300 grams of carbs everday!

And getting leaner.

I'm keto right now.. low-carb and no carb til Monday when i'll carb up and maintain a high carb intake til 7 days out.

Nark

lol.. that's probably from the macro combinations

It's easily rectifiable tho
    Yeah. I have a feeling that Im going to lose plenty of ibs in the comming week

Man tru my contest prep i was at about 300 grams of carbs everday!

And getting leaner.

I'm keto right now.. low-carb and no carb til Monday when i'll carb up and maintain a high carb intake til 7 days out.

Nark
    I have never been able to lose weight if I keep carbs high. I dont know whats up with my body. But if I want to drop weight and fat I need to cut down carbs very low. Like around 100 grams or so on workout days and just about zero on rest days. Feels like I have toyed with all other combinations because I love my rice and pasta and want to keep it but it always ends up with me frustrated and having to drop it to progress

Yeah. I have a feeling that Im going to lose plenty of ibs in the comming week

I have never been able to lose weight if I keep carbs high. I dont know whats up with my body. But if I want to drop weight and fat I need to cut down carbs very low. Like around 100 grams or so on workout days and just about zero on rest days. Feels like I have toyed with all other combinations because I love my rice and pasta and want to keep it but it always ends up with me frustrated and having to drop it to progress

I think therein lies your problem... Your food choices.

If you have 12 weeks to experiment with and are willing to do whatever i say.. let's try a dietary experiment

Nark

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    This could be interesting.

Glad to see you in the diet forum, more, Nark.

Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    This could be interesting.

Glad to see you in the diet forum, more, Nark.
    Cool to be here..

I monitor it regularly but don't post because most of my thoughts on dieting differ with 'standard practice'... and arguing's no fun

Nark

If you have 12 weeks to experiment with and are willing to do whatever i say.. let's try a dietary experiment

Nark
    that would be very interesting and Im all for it. But Im gonna be clean until january or so and taking it easy. But in january Im good to go how does that sound?

Cool to be here..

I monitor it regularly but don't post because most of my thoughts on dieting differ with 'standard practice'... and arguing's no fun

Nark
    well I for one want to hear more about them Most of my ideas arent kosher either to be honest.

xpijeonx is offline Associate Member
    I would be interested too.

Mizfit is offline Banned

of course they aren't it's quality of food, not carb intake.

If your carbs are good carbs there isint an issue... if they're patatoe chips.. that's a whole separate issue.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member

I think therein lies your problem... Your food choices.

Nark

Absolutely, rice and pasta are a killer. As long as I keep it to a minimum(3-4 meals per week) I'm able to keep it consistent.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I NEVER go under 1.5g per pound. People can believe what they want but I guarantee if you are interested in bodybuilding that you will never get to that top level if you are using 1g or less per pound.

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    I NEVER go under 1.5g per pound. People can believe what they want but I guarantee if you are interested in bodybuilding that you will never get to that top level if you are using 1g or less per pound.
    I agree 100%. I believe you can hold a good pleasing physique with lower protein intake, but to get that freaky mass and maximize your gains from year to year, I believe protein intake should be high. I am "offseason" right now and taking in 420g per day at a bodyweight of 220-225 (lean). I pla with my carbs and do not have them at the same level for any two days in a row...I believe this is the key...you will obviously need less on non training days and your occassional extremely high carb day to compeltely "fill out" and spark up that metabolism some.

that would be very interesting and Im all for it. But Im gonna be clean until january or so and taking it easy. But in january Im good to go how does that sound?
    Up to you man.. clean or dirty doesn't matter with me. I'm clean most of the year.. but my dietary practises do not change.

Holla

well I for one want to hear more about them Most of my ideas arent kosher either to be honest.
    That much i know lentil boy

Nark

Quote Originally Posted by spound
    ...you will obviously need less on non training days
    I don't agree

Up to you man.. clean or dirty doesn't matter with me. I'm clean most of the year.. but my dietary practises do not change.

Holla

That much i know lentil boy

Nark
    Was a while ago since I ate lentils last time and I havent eaten any sprouts for a while. Im getting lazy

Il wait until I get on the sauce again because Im usualy lasy and unmotivated while clean I just look to take the clean periods as periods where I train when I feel like it and eat when I feel like it and just relax from it all and focus on studying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information