axiomatic6 is offline Associate Member

cutting question about total caloires

Hi, i cant seem to get an answer on this. on a cutting cycle is the goal to eat as few of calories as possible, or to reduce the calories just under what it takes to maitian you muscle mass? i always thought the fewer the calories the better(within reason). can any help me out

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    The goal in cutting is relatively simple. To lose as much fat as possible while maintaining all LBM.

Just reducing kcals is not enough. If that were the case, we'd all look like Jared from Subway. Meal placement and timing, along with food choices, must all be taken into account to make your cutting as effecient as possible. And remember, cardio and cutting go hand in hand.

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by axiomatic6
    Hi, i cant seem to get an answer on this. on a cutting cycle is the goal to eat as few of calories as possible, or to reduce the calories just under what it takes to maitian you muscle mass? i always thought the fewer the calories the better(within reason). can any help me out
    option B: reduce calories just under maintenance to maintain muscle mass

creating a deficit of about 500 cals/day will help you shed about 1lb a week or more if you have high water retention or are obese... However, any diet that lets you lose more than 2 lbs a week is a sign of severe undereating and muscle catabolism

When I last cut, I was eating 2800 cals but my maintenance was 3400..now with clean bulking, I'm eating 4000..just above my maintenance....

cheers

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    I'm also going with b) for 2 reasons :

1. it'll be easier to preserve muscle mass that way

and

2. you'll be able to drop your calories further when yur progress comes to a hault

Thread Information