seriouslifter is offline Member

Cutting and carbs

Should I do 1 cup of oatmeal or 1/2 cup when i wake up?? I know just make sure it fits in with ur daily intake and macros. This is with 1 cup. Shouldnt my carbs be lower? Im 5'11 205lb and i want to cut. Im already at

Totals 2619 calories 59g fat 249g carbs 292g protein

at 205lb 2600 calories is not going to work. Unless you are doing a ridiculous amount of cardio dont expect to lose weight quickly like that. Your bmr is likely around 2200.

I run a 500 cal a day under my bmr + 500 cal from cardio for about 2 lb a week of fat loss.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBricks
    at 205lb 2600 calories is not going to work. Unless you are doing a ridiculous amount of cardio dont expect to lose weight quickly like that. Your bmr is likely around 2200.

I run a 500 cal a day under my bmr + 500 cal from cardio for about 2 lb a week of fat loss.
    Ya bmr then i thought you muliply by something then take off 500? It was at 3075 or something then i took off 500. did i do it wrong?

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty

I don't agree.. True, his bmr could be 2200kcals, but that's nowhere near his maintainence. You have to take into account his activity level as well. I think 2600kcals is a great place to start with his stats as long as he keeps cardio up. Then slowly drop down carbs/kcals when fat loss stagnates.

As for your diet, seriouslifter, post the whole thing. Daily macros don't mean much if the format and timing aren't correct.

Meal #1 7:45am - 2 scoops ON Whey Protein
    1 cup oats
    2 Omeg 369 pills
    1 Multi pro 32x

Meal #2 10:20am - detour protein bar

Meal #3 12:00pm - 6 egg whites
    1 cup broccoli cuts

Meal #4 (Preworkout) 3:00pm - lean chicken
    1 cup broccoli cuts
    2 Omeg 369 pills

Post workout - 2 scoops ON Whey Protein
    1 scoop ON Glycoload

Meal #5 6:00pm - lean chicken
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1 cup broccoli cuts
    1 Multi pro 32x

Meal #6 9:00pm - lean chicken
    1 cup broccoli cuts

Meal #7 (Before bed) - 1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1 scoop ON Whey
    2 tbsp natty pb

Totals 2469 calories 58g fat 216g carbs 288g protein

Quote Originally Posted by seriouslifter
    Ya bmr then i thought you muliply by something then take off 500? It was at 3075 or something then i took off 500. did i do it wrong?
    Your bmr is 2000-2100 before acounting for activity level. The maximium activity level modifier is 1.5. But if you use that modifier counting cardio or lifting again would not be honest. I assume I am sedentary (which I am) and then add on the cardio calories. If you are getting a good amount of activity, like playing basketball 2 hours each day, not counting your cardio (which i assume you are doing) then maybe 3k is is apropriate.

Without knowing your activity level, we cant say what your true calorie needs are. But 3k is very high for 5'11 and 205 pounds if you are not counting the cardio. And if you are counting the cardio in that, that means eatting 500 less is only a pound a week of weight loss.

To put it another way, if you need to lose 20 pounds, it will take 10 weeks if you do the math right and get a 1k per day deficit. It will take 20 weeks if you overestimate your needs by 500. So be sure.

brutesinme is offline Member
    the max activity modifier is not 1.5, that is for moderate activity. Max is something like 1.95 (i forget exactly). Your example is based on a linear model of weight loss. We all know that weight is not lost in a linear manner, but proceeds in fits, needing to be coaxed along. One level of caloric intake will not suffice for the entire weight loss period, it must be adjusted as needs be depending on the rate of weight lost. Starting at a higher calorie level will postpone the metabolic shutdown for a longer time and allow greater range for variation.

Ok to not getting in so much detail with what will work and so on. Im sure if you try anything and all healthy foods a person will lose weight. Is the diet above fine for me or do i need to cut carbs more and increase protein?

Quote Originally Posted by brutesinme
    the max activity modifier is not 1.5, that is for moderate activity. Max is something like 1.95 (i forget exactly). Your example is based on a linear model of weight loss. We all know that weight is not lost in a linear manner, but proceeds in fits, needing to be coaxed along. One level of caloric intake will not suffice for the entire weight loss period, it must be adjusted as needs be depending on the rate of weight lost. Starting at a higher calorie level will postpone the metabolic shutdown for a longer time and allow greater range for variation.
    Good stuff man.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouslifter
    Ok to not getting in so much detail with what will work and so on. Im sure if you try anything and all healthy foods a person will lose weight. Is the diet above fine for me or do i need to cut carbs more and increase protein?
    I wish that were so. If that were the case, most of us would never have to cut.

As for your diet, ditch the whey. Whey should be limited to PWO and for emergencies when cutting. Also, lose the detour bar.

Your meals don't have individual macros nor do you wheigh your food, so it's hard to give any more advice than that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    I wish that were so. If that were the case, most of us would never have to cut.

As for your diet, ditch the whey. Whey should be limited to PWO and for emergencies when cutting. Also, lose the detour bar.

Your meals don't have individual macros nor do you wheigh your food, so it's hard to give any more advice than that.
    yeah the detour bar has like 32 carbs and i already had my carbs for breakfast, why again few hours later. i really kick myself in the ass for buying like 80 of these bars. i dont know what to do.

Send them to me , or.... just save them for bulking emergencies.

My mistake, 1.9 is the highest. And if this guy is a marathon runner yet needs to cut, i'll eat my jean shorts from '94.

Also, you say you need to change calories as you lose weight. This is true but does not refute what I said since i am careful to phase things in terms of the caloric defict (which you shoudnt change) vs absolute number of calories which does change.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

I don't agree either. I weighed 205lbs. while cutting....I was losing fat and gaining a little muscle every week it seemed.
    Well what I was getting at is I never did a rediculous amount of cardio....mainly just 5 days per week but cardio is a MUST while cutting regardless.
    Last edited by audis4; 10-08-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    I don't agree either. I weighed 205lbs. while cutting....I was losing fat and gaining a little muscle every week it seemed.
    Im not sure what you mean. Im not saying anything about the chances someone can put on muscle and lose fat at the same time. They can.

It looks like he is not doing cardio, just lifting. And lifting is going to burn cals while doing it, then more building muscle, no doubt. Its a fine way to go about changing your body. But when someone says "I'm cutting" I think cardio and low cal, not normal cal and lifting. Not becuase there is anything wrong with normal cal lifting, but I think of that as just "getting in shape", not a dedicated fat killing procedure. I just cant imagine lifting to cut and staying sane. I need to see my muscles to work out. Maybe Im just in a totally different school of thought. The wrong one? Maybe. Works for me.

Thread Information