Slaiv is offline Banned

Very Important Cutting/Losing BF% Question....

when on a cutting diet, should i still be taking whey protein shakes?

im trying to lean up, lose body fat and of course gain some kind of muscle in the process, but when leaning up, diong cardio and carb cycling, your bound to lose a little muscle, which is ok, im just trying to get as low in BF% so then i can bulk up nice!

my protein shakes consist of 1 scoop of ON Whey, 1/2 cup oatmeal and 8oz glass of water, blend and chug!!

so yea.... if im trying to cut back on fat, lower my BF%, should i drop the whey protein? or is it ok to still take 1 - 2 daily?

thank you guys very much !!!

domeyeahaigh is offline Senior Member
    whoa man... I am cutting right now and I tell you this...if there is any one thing to NOT cut out its protein...1 scoop of ON has what 25 grams of protein in it? so you get 50 grams of whey protein a day?

I take much much more than this, when cutting focus on your carbs and fat (also be more picky about what KIND of carbs and what KIND of fat)

do NOT cut out the protein, if anything, you are not taking in nearly enough...what kinda protein do you get from other sources?

good luck man.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Yould should be counting macronutrients, that being said if a shake fits into your daily allotment of protein/calories than use it, if it doesnt than dont.

Asking if you can just take a protein shake in general, sure go for it. If that is infact what you mean...CAN you take one while cutting.

But if you are asking if it will allow you to lose bf than it completely 100% depends on your overall macros man.

No one can help you with that question if you havent broken down your stats.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    WHEY is not ideal when cutting unless its used in small amounts to complete they amino profile of a meal.
    its such a readily availible form of protein that it isnt always used as you would like it to be used and its not as thermogenic as whole food protein is.
    in all honesty if your really wanting to shed body fat u shud minize shake consumption and rely whole heartidly on whole FOODS to induce a greater metabolic rate as the majority of ur caloric intake will be utilized in digestion.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    yes, i use the whey protein just to cover my daily intake of protein, i usually drink my whey when im eating my meals, but i never drink it alone just like that

ok ill keep, thank yo uguys very much for the post!!

kj101 is offline Junior Member
    sometimes I take a whey only shake. The good thing about this is it doesn' spike insulin levels.

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    ^^^Yes it does. Just not as high as simple carbohydrates.

rmax348 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaiv
    yes, i use the whey protein just to cover my daily intake of protein, i usually drink my whey when im eating my meals, but i never drink it alone just like that

ok ill keep, thank yo uguys very much for the post!!
    From reading some of your previous threads I believe WE are in the same boat together as far as dieting & cutting goals go.

I too have been contemplating this EXACT question since constructing my cut-diet a couple of weeks ago.

It seems everyday for the most part I end up with 2 - 3 shakes so that I can stay in line with my macro - nutrient requirements. ( three on work-out days & two for the rest )

#1 when I wake up at 5:00am - I CAN NOT stomach 10 OZ of egg whites this early. ( 2 scoops & 1/2 cup oats )

#2 post work out - ( 2 scoops & 1/2 oats )

#3 Before I hit the sack between 8:00 & 9:00pm ( 2 scoops & one or two tbsp of nat peanut butter )

I am pretty sure I should be replacing the last shake with a meal, it's just that - basically the last thing in the world that I feel like eating right before crawling in bed is a big 'ole piece of chicken or some tuna. ( Yuk, LOL! )

BTW: I'm not trying to high jack here - just mentioning what I have been doing with the protein shakes.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    yea, what the guys said, only drink the whey just to add that extra bit of protein you happen to be short of in your meal, but NOT to be a complete source for our protein

for example, if you ned 255g of pro daily, and you just got about 210g from real food, it wouldnt hurt to get the extra 45g of pro from a shake or 2. sure, even it out throughout the day, dont just take whole shakes as meal replacements, when eating lets say meal 3, have a shake with 15g, when eating meal 5 have a shake with 20g and last meal have a shake with 15g, get it?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaiv
    yea, what the guys said, only drink the whey just to add that extra bit of protein you happen to be short of in your meal, but NOT to be a complete source for our protein

for example, if you ned 255g of pro daily, and you just got about 210g from real food, it wouldnt hurt to get the extra 45g of pro from a shake or 2. sure, even it out throughout the day, dont just take whole shakes as meal replacements, when eating lets say meal 3, have a shake with 15g, when eating meal 5 have a shake with 20g and last meal have a shake with 15g, get it?
    like when i just dont feel like eating in the morning i will have like some eggwhites but not a ton just like 6-8 and then 25g whey and oats and some almonds

Thread Information