Mathom is offline New Member

RMR and BMR caloric needs calculator

I wrote a little program for calculating BMR and RMR, I realize there are some online calculators out there, but I decided I wanted to write my own anyway. At the moment it only calculates your daily caloric needs based on RMR (Mufflin Equation) and BMR (Harris-Benedict Equation), but I'll shortly be adding some additional functionality to calculate BMI and body fat percentages. Its been awhile since Ive done any programming, so this has been something of a refresher for me, but Id like to ultimately create something that will allow a person to track their diet, weight, exercise, goals, etc.

If it isn't cool to post something like this, sorry in advance and I can take this post down. I tried to PM someone about it, but I think my post count is still too low. Unfortunately at the moment the only file hosting I can find is the free stuff, but mediafire seems decent and the file has been virus scanned by them, so you can be a little more confident there's no viruses. If anyone downloads it and scans it themself and can vouch for it, I would appreciate it. If anyone wants to host the program, I would appreciate it.

Should be bug free, but if you notice anything, let me know. The program will allow you to type in letters and negative numbers into fields and still calculate, rather than forcing you to change it, but obviously the results may look funny.

As I did write this in VB.net, I believe you are required to have the windows .net framework installed. I believe Windows XP and Vista come with this installed default, and the service packs for Windows 95, 98, 2000 and ME should have them included. If you have issues launching the program, ie you click it and nothing happens, you probably need to install them. Here is a link from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Any suggestions or comments, please reply to this thread. If you try it and it actually works, please reply so that I can get a feel for whether there are problems or not. Thanks for trying my program out!

And here's the link to d/l program:

http://www.mediafire.com/?03blzbfynd3
    Last edited by Mathom; 09-11-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Mathom is offline New Member
    UPDATE:
    I've added BMI and bodyfat percentage calculations to the program. Also, it can calculate in either english or metric units, and will adjust calculations for male or female. Would appreciate if someone would try it out and give some feedback!

The link is now to the updated program.

Thread Information