orton4 is offline Member

too much protein in one sitting?

so i have been hearing this debate that your body can only absorb X amount of protein in one meal/shake... is that true? and if it is true, while you are on cycle will your body absorb more... for instance i was watching a video of ronnie coleman and he was having i think 80 or 90 grams in one shake, does your body absorb all of that? or will it only take in around 40grams or so at a time?

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    it really just depends on the person as to how much they can absorb..the average person i have heard prob cant take in more than 30 or 40 g at a sitting...but i may be off

The Deuce is offline Anabolic Member
    Really?? I never knew that.. and now that I do.. that's quite upseting to actually hear.. i hope it's not 100% true.. I would hope that I can get like 60 g's in one sitting that would be nice since that's what i usually get...

Garnelek is offline Associate Member
    I don't agree with the 30-40gr per meal limit!I don't see anything wrong with 60-70gr protein per meal....after all there are very few protein sources out there which can be totally broken down and absorbed in 2-3 hours...

ckyass is offline Associate Member
    Thats a myth, your body will be able to absorb high amounts of protien.. however the time it takes to receive the amino acids from that protien source will be delayed. I usually stick to 50 grams per meal, you can go higher if you like...your body will eventually take it all in.

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    If you limit yourself to only 30gm per meal you wont get above 250 gms per day. When I cycle I try to get 300. It seems to be the magic number for my body

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    there is a level at which your body will not properly absorb all of the protein you eat. and please, don't compare yourself to someone clearly over 300lbs. strive for 50 a meal. its a high number and isn't too extreme and should fit easily into your daily needs.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    For all those who believe or have heard that you can only ABSORB a certain amount of protein, please tell me where the rest goes? If you eat 60g protein and you can only absorb 30g, where does the other 30g go? This is something I have always been dying to hear.

excess protein can be stored as energy. it is hard for your body to do, but some can be stored as fat, and that usually will occur only in a large excess. excess protein will be excreted in most cases. anywhere from 70-90% of protein is absorbed by the body.

here's a good read on the subject Bino.

http://www.humankinetics.com/eJourna.../pdfs/5642.pdf

d smooth is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yea I ask a physician and he said the same as novastepp, the rest goes out the other end.

High-roller is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d smooth View Post
    Yea I ask a physician and he said the same as novastepp, the rest goes out the other end.
    I may be with you on that, Cause I will eat like 50-70g protein per meal and I always have gas, and once I make it to the bathroom it seem I have some nug's to drop,

orton4 is offline Member
    yeah i wasnt sure... i didnt know if whatever cant be absorbed is eliminated... but i dont try to eat huge amounts in one sitting i was just curious on the subject... and i didnt know if it differs if you are on cycle at the time vs. while not on juice

BigPimpin76 is offline Senior Member
    I found some interesting info!! Not to go that far but in this section if you scroll up in the stickies and go into how to diet you will see a set of six videos.
    Very useful info. This bro also talks about protein absorbtion.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    the higher ur metabolic rate the greater your protein synthesis. either way proteins are deaminated and stored appropriatly as dictated by your physiological needs.

ckyass is offline Associate Member
    Eat 2 grams per pound of bodyweight......its that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ckyass View Post
    Eat 2 grams per pound of bodyweight......its that simple.
    fat doesnt need protein...

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa View Post
    fat doesnt need protein...
    hahaha. so how much are you eating then? 100g?

i had to i'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    hahaha. so how much are you eating then? 100g?

i had to i'm sorry.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    here's a good read on the subject Bino.

http://www.humankinetics.com/eJourna.../pdfs/5642.pdf
    Oh believe me I know all about protein structures and how they are absorbed etc. I was more trying to get parrots to really answer the question.

Because, its jut a big myth that goes around. I really dont see where this all started that you can only absorb 30g or so at any given time. Even that article you posted doesnt say what happens to the extra protein. It doesnt even say there is a max level you can absorb that I saw. Only that if you take in MORE than what they studied you can have side effects.

But that article even admits that for people our size (the chart barely went high in weight at all) that we can take in well over 400g protein per day without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    Oh believe me I know all about protein structures and how they are absorbed etc. I was more trying to get parrots to really answer the question.

Because, its jut a big myth that goes around. I really dont see where this all started that you can only absorb 30g or so at any given time. Even that article you posted doesnt say what happens to the extra protein. It doesnt even say there is a max level you can absorb that I saw. Only that if you take in MORE than what they studied you can have side effects.

But that article even admits that for people our size (the chart barely went high in weight at all) that we can take in well over 400g protein per day without any problems.
    i understand what you're saying totally. the whole "bro knowledge" concept is hard to crack.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Gut bacteria, will breakdown and absorbs some of the rest of the protein. One of its noticable products is gas. Protein that is not absorbed will be shatted out. How much can be absorbed at one sitting I really have never seen any numbers. I do know that it will vary on how fast or slow bolus motility is at any point in time. Obviously if your on some sort of stimulant that cause increase intestinal smooth muscle peristalsis then protein absorption will be decrease. Absorption is a product of (surface area exposed, micropili of intestines) X (surface area of bolus)/(time of exposure). Of course bolus hydration levels, infection, metabolic states ect, are factors in all this.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Gut bacteria, will breakdown and absorbs some of the rest of the protein. One of its noticable products is gas. Protein that is not absorbed will be shatted out. How much can be absorbed at one sitting I really have never seen any numbers. I do know that it will vary on how fast or slow bolus motility is at any point in time. Obviously if your on some sort of stimulant that cause increase intestinal smooth muscle peristalsis then protein absorption will be decrease. Absorption is a product of (surface area exposed, micropili of intestines) X (surface area of bolus)/(time of exposure). Of course bolus hydration levels, infection, metabolic states ect, are factors in all this.
    I tell the wifey that I am getting enough protein only when my gas absolutely reeks!

Thread Information