mustang331 is offline Member

Need a better diet for my 90lbs. of fat!

This is coming from this post in the lounge

How I gained 90lbs. in a little over a year!

I am 5'10 240lbs. as of now,coming from 258lbs. a little over a week ago.

Not to get into the story ( you can read the other post if you want ) but I gained about 90lbs in a little over a years time.. Gross and I am so un healthy that I cannot even walk without my legs getting sore!

I used to be about 170lbs on an average and its probably what my normal weight should be!

As for my goal, well eventually I would like to get back to 170lbs. but I am in no rush for that goal.

As for my experience, I have learned a lot from this board and used to be around 7-8% BF at my goal weight, I am extremely dedicated and have strong will.

Now, my goal short term is to get to at least 220lbs. I am so unhealthy at this weight that I know its probably amature to try to lose another 20lbs in a couple weeks. But, I cannot do anything right now, walking around as I said gets my legs sore, so the sacrifice to lose what little muscle mass I have left is worth it to me.

As for my diet, I was told I need some help with it and I probably do.. This current diet I am on I got from this board over the years and its done wonders for me, at least at 170lbs.

8am::8-10 egg whites, sometimes 1 yolk, oatmeal no sugar.
    11am:chicken breast, broccoli and brown rice
    2pm:Chicken breast, broccoli
    5pm:Shake
    8pm: dinner such as lean turkey, chicken or a can or 2 of tuna with salsa.
    10pm: Sometimes another shake before bed

I am willing to do anything to help me.. I would like to mention, I am drinking at least 1.5 gallons of water if not more (that's just at work) and I taking a multi and fish oil.

I understand there is no fat in that diet which brings that cave man syndrome up.

Thanks guys!

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Try and get the portion size of each meal, and include the protein,carbs, fat of each meal. Then total it for the day. You have the basics down it seems with the 6 meals a day and the type of foods. We need the amounts to see if you are eating to little or to much.

On side note... start hitting the weights! That will help drop the fat even faster!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    On side note... start hitting the weights! That will help drop the fat even faster!

I agree, but not ready to get sore yet.. Another week

I took a ten year lay off myself. I gained about 30 lbs of fat in the time. I went from around 203 to 230 lbs approximately(size 40 waist). I hit the weights and fast forward 5 months later I got as low as 202 lbs(34 waist). So dont hold back bro, hit the iron!

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Your age? I would keep the calories somewhere in the ball park of 2600-2700kCals. You can use www.fitday.com to calculate your meals and get your totals etc. then post it here.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 10-22-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja View Post
    Your age? I would keep the calories somewhere in the ball park of 2600-2700kCals. You can use www.fitday.com to calculate your meals and get your totals etc. then post it here.
    I am 29 years old now..

I was thinking 2600cal. was a little much and I was going to keep it closer to 1800-2000cal.

Edgar is offline Associate Member
    SOMETHINGS THAT MAYBE COMONSENSE BUT THEY WERENT TO ME, 1 NEVER EAT CARBS AND FAT TOGETHER. 2 ONLY FIBER CARBS NO STARCHY CARBS AFTER 6 IF YOUR NOT WORKING OUT, FIBER CARBS WELL HELP YOU BURN MORE FAT. 3 KEEP YOUR PROTEIN LEAN AND GOOD SOURCES ONLY. 4 YOUR BODY NEEDS GOOD FATS EFAs TO RELEASE FAT. 5 CARDIO IS OF MOST IMPORTANCE. AT LEAST 30 MINUTES TO 60 MINUTES ED. PINNACLE HAS A NICE READ ON CARB CYCLING THAT HELPED ME OUT ALOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    SOMETHINGS THAT MAYBE COMONSENSE BUT THEY WERENT TO ME, 1 NEVER EAT CARBS AND FAT TOGETHER. 2 ONLY FIBER CARBS NO STARCHY CARBS AFTER 6 IF YOUR NOT WORKING OUT, FIBER CARBS WELL HELP YOU BURN MORE FAT. 3 KEEP YOUR PROTEIN LEAN AND GOOD SOURCES ONLY. 4 YOUR BODY NEEDS GOOD FATS EFAs TO RELEASE FAT. 5 CARDIO IS OF MOST IMPORTANCE. AT LEAST 30 MINUTES TO 60 MINUTES ED. PINNACLE HAS A NICE READ ON CARB CYCLING THAT HELPED ME OUT ALOT.
    I am starting my biking today!!

Do you have a link to the article?

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by mustang331 View Post
    I am 29 years old now..

I was thinking 2600cal. was a little much and I was going to keep it closer to 1800-2000cal.

Ok, think about this. What logic is there in having your calories so drastically low (1800-2000)? Sure, the body will notice the missing calories and weight will be let go, mostly water and muscle with some fat. Then your body being smart, will adjust to this new calorie deficit and weight loss will stop. Now what? Drop your calories down to 1200-1500? You must remember that when we eat every 2.5-3hrs we are supplying the body with a constant supply of amino acids for the body to call on at anytime, of course there is more to it but the important thing is that your diet when good will prevent catabolism (burning of muscle tissue).

You need to get this idea out of your head, you are stuck on "If I drop calories low, I will lose weight fast" method. That is ridiculous and the results will look like complete shit.

We can assist you in building/maintaining lean muscle tissue while dropping body fat, this is what changes your body composition.

Your way will eat what little muscle tissue you have and your body composition will not change much at all. Sure, you will be lighter on the scale and look smaller but you will not look much different, just a smaller version of your former self.

We are here to help but you have to do the work. You are too fixated on losing weight fast. You didn't put on this weight overnight so you cannot honestly expect to take it off overnight.

Your lifestyle became that of eating anything and everything you wanted, now you must make a new lifestyle because you are here and obviously unhappy with the result of your previous lifestyle correct?

I love this quote and I would ask that you put it up somewhere where you will see it everyday

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got"

Think about it, the power to change is within you and within you only. How bad do you want it?
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 10-24-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Ok, think about this. What logic is there in having your calories so drastically low (1800-2000)? Sure, the body will notice the missing calories and weight will be let go, mostly water and muscle with some fat. Then your body being smart, will adjust to this new calorie deficit and weight loss will stop. Now what? Drop your calories down to 1200-1500? You must remember that when we eat every 2.5-3hrs we are supplying the body with a constant supply of amino acids for the body to call on at anytime, of course there is more to it but the important thing is that your diet when good will prevent catabolism (burning of muscle tissue).

You need to get this idea out of your head, you are stuck on "If I drop calories low, I will lose weight fast" method. That is ridiculous and the results will look like complete shit.

We can assist you in building/maintaining lean muscle tissue while dropping body fat, this is what changes your body composition.

Your way will eat what little muscle tissue you have and your body composition will not change much at all. Sure, you will be lighter on the scale and look smaller but you will not look much different, just a smaller version of your former self.

We are here to help but you have to do the work. You are too fixated on losing weight fast. You didn't put on this weight overnight so you cannot honestly expect to take it off overnight.

Your lifestyle became that of eating anything and everything you wanted, now you must make a new lifestyle because you are here and obviously unhappy with the result of your previous lifestyle correct?

I love this quote and I would ask that you put it up somewhere where you will see it everyday

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got"

Think about it, the power to change is within you and within you only. How bad do you want it?
    I understand what you are saying.. Maybe I should show pictures.. I pretty much have no muscle left and I am not worried about losing it any more

That said, what about the millions of people out there that do lose a drastic amount of weight? Is that why they gain it back?

I want to eat like I am 180lbs. not 240lbs.. It grosses me out!!

You didn't put on this weight overnight so you cannot honestly expect to take it off overnight.
    I don't know, lol I did gain it pretty rapidly, faster than most anyone I know.

I have adjusted my diet though.

I understand what you are saying.. Maybe I should show pictures.. I pretty much have no muscle left and I am not worried about losing it any more

That said, what about the millions of people out there that do lose a drastic amount of weight? Is that why they gain it back?

I want to eat like I am 180lbs. not 240lbs.. It grosses me out!!

Ok, I will let someone else assist you. You want a quick fix and anyone with common sense here cannot provide you with that.

Just starve yourself or binge and purge, that should give you the results you want.

Good luck!

yes it is called yo yo dieting. yes they do lose weight... fat + muscle. This is how it works. The more muscle you have, the more calories your burn doing absolutley nothing!! Sitting on my ass i burn a ton of calories! In your case you are burning everything! So when you resume your normal calorie consumption, and since you have less muscle, you will get fatter than before.

good article for you:

One of the most important yet often overlooked aspects of obtaining low body fat levels is your resting metabolic rate (RMR). Remember, the amount of calories you metabolize on a daily basis is a combination of those consumed to support your RMR, those consumed from your daily activities and exercise, and those consumed from the thermic effect of eating meals. Your RMR accounts for approximately 60-70% of the calories you expend on a daily basis, while your activities account for approximately 20-30%, and the thermic effect of food accounts for approximately 10%.

Now you understand the reason I will place so much importance in this manual on methods to keep your RMR as high as possible. While I don’t think you need to obsess over exact amounts of calories you consume, you will need to get a pretty accurate idea of approximately how many calories you consume on a daily basis compared to how many you should consume in order to lose or gain weight.

Generally, it is considered safe and more effective in the long term to lose only 1-2 lbs per week. If you lose the weight slower, you will generally be able to maintain more muscle. You need to create approximately a 3500-calorie deficit to lose 1 lb. Hence, if the male in the example above would like to lose 1-lb per week, he could reduce his daily caloric intake by about 500 calories/day to around 2472, or any other combination to create a 3500-calorie deficit per week.

Most people with excessive body fat falsely believe that they have been cursed with a slow metabolism and that is the cause for their failed attempts at losing body fat. While it is true that everyone’s RMR will vary depending on their genetics, this does not mean that those with seemingly “slower” metabolic rates are doomed to being overweight. In fact, there are many proven ways to boost your RMR, which in turn means that you’ll be burning more calories 24/7 (even while sleeping).

The amount of lean body mass (muscle, in particular) that you possess directly and positively influences your RMR. The more lean muscle you have, the higher your RMR, and the more calories you burn on a daily basis. This is the reason that weight training will be so important to your efforts for getting lean. The more muscle you develop, the easier it will be for you to lose body fat. The more muscle you lose through excessive dieting or excessive endurance cardiovascular exercise, the lower your RMR will go.

Now when I say that weight training and the amount of lean muscle you possess will be important, I don’t mean that you have to be huge like a bodybuilder. In fact, most people have a hard time adding muscle to their frame and will not end up getting too big. Some people seem to have a false impression that if they even touch a dumbbell or barbell, they are going to end up being freakishly huge. One of the reasons that many females sometimes have a hard time reaching their weight loss goals is that they are afraid to lift weights at all or are afraid to lift heavy weights, and consequently they are missing one of the most important tools for getting lean. The point is to make your muscle work for you (even while resting) on a 24/7 basis to get you leaner.

The relationship between your lean body mass and RMR is essentially the reason that I do not recommend fad diets in your attempt to lose body fat. Ultimately, any type of crash diet will lead to a significant loss of lean body mass in addition to any fat loss that you achieve while on the diet. So when you start to eat somewhat normal again, you have a lower RMR due to the loss of muscle, and you regain fat at an even faster rate now.

This is also why I don’t recommend extremely low carbohydrate diets. Generally, low-carb diets are successful for initial weight loss due to controlled eating and reduced blood sugar and insulin levels as well as water weight loss due to depleted muscle glycogen (not a good thing). However, low-carb diets also typically cause a loss of lean muscle and subsequently a decreased RMR, which leads to rapid weight gain once the dieter introduces normal eating back into their life.

richtries is offline Associate Member
    The above article is awesome! Just helped me win an ongoing argument with my g/friend . . .

Tambit24 is offline Member
    I see eating the 2600 calories only good if he's having an active life style. IMO

Ok, I will let someone else assist you. You want a quick fix and anyone with common sense here cannot provide you with that.

Just starve yourself or binge and purge, that should give you the results you want.

Good luck!
    No need to get upset or give up on me

Honestly, people do, do it.. correct?? What about the show the biggest loser??

They lose 100's of pounds in like 8 weeks, lol..

I also want to say, I am only looking to get to 220 for the "Quick fix"

At this current weight I feel like I can not do anything, when I get to 220, I will start to eat a little better.

Tambit24 is offline Member
    you can't go by people from the biggest loser. They work out countless hours per day. You need to start doing cardio. Hit the bike up. Its alot less stress on your knees and just start off slow.

Thread Information