Thread: Before bed meal

sonysucks is offline Associate Member

Before bed meal

What are we looking for. casein protien (slow digesting) some efa's?,what else...or is it just the protein?

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Lately I've been doing the caesin shake with some Peanut butter and a little cottage cheese...Weird mix but I like it.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I cant stand cottage cheese so instead I always down a casein shake before bed.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    i have different things last night i mixed lemon pepper tuna with 1/2 cup cottage cheese started to have 1tbls of pb with it but did'nt.

ditto on the cottage cheese...tried it twice and finished the tub....thinking ,there has to be a better whey...ha so I bought some casein protien... but now I am wondering if a little hemp protein for its protien an efas might be a good addition? 25 g of it gives ya 12/10/2 pro carb fat...jus wasnt sure cause you always hear "NO" carbs at night.

pb has a bit o fat ,so is it majority pro then some cabrs and even a wee bit o fat?

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Casein is commonly used by bodybuilders as a slow-digesting source of amino acids as opposed to the fast-digesting whey protein and also contains an extremely high source of glutamine (aids in recovery). Another reason it is used in bodybuilding is because of its anti-catabolic effect, meaning that casein consumption inhibits protein breakdown in the body (Wikipedia).

You're looking for a constant protein supply for as long as possible to keep your body from going into a catabolic state where muscles are burned as energy. Consuming a fat source with your before bed meal slows down the rate of digestion as fats (esoecially triglycerides) require more time to broken down for use by the body. Casein protein is the most applicable protein sourc at this time as well, because it takes up to 7 hours to fully break down in the gut. Whey and soy are completely broken down in 2-3 hours.

While bulking, adding in some low GI, complex carbs such as oatmeal is not a bad idea either.

My before bed meal looks like this:

FF Cottage Cheese- 3 servings 240 calories 39g protein 15g carbs
    1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil- 120 calories 0g protein 0g carbs 14g fat
    .5 scoop 24hr protein powder- 75 calories 10g protein 2.5g carbs 2.5g fat
    total= 435 calories, 49g protein, 17.5g carbs, 16.5g fat

I just mix it all together...
    Last edited by fit4ever180; 11-12-2008 at 02:25 AM.

thanks. Not bulking now so I will just stick with the casein.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    Lately I've been doing the caesin shake with some Peanut butter and a little cottage cheese...Weird mix but I like it.
    I do the same thing...I agree it is a weird combo but it actually taste pretty damn good! I hate the texture of cottage cheese so blend up everything and viola!

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    casein protein is a huge fat waste in my opinion. you can find cheaper sources of slow digesting protein, that don't taste like garbage. my favorite pre-bed meal is 6 egg white with 1 yolk, 2 pieces of turkey sausage covered in peanut butter. sometimes i chop it up and mix it all together and it tastes amazing. now which sounds like it will make you grow more? eggs, pb, and sausage? or casein and peanut butter?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    lean meat and a nice carb/fat mix.

Nova could you tell me what a nice mix is . If you give me a % of cal that might do. Just dont want to much of one or another. In fact I am having a hard time determining what my pro/carb/fat %'s should be for my fat cutting diet,so if anyone could help.
    PS...I love PB so its great news...and I want to add...to all the people who said to just add raw oatmeal to their shakes...damn good idea ...gets me my carbs and adds some texture to the shakes and tastes great. TRY IT!

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    Dymatize 12 hour protein, oats and flax oil.....

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    My favorite protein for bedtime is 16 oz raw egg white (pasteurized egg beaters egg whites) 100% usable by the body

Weird to hear about taking carbs and fat before bed....

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonysucks View Post
    Weird to hear about taking carbs and fat before bed....
    As long as it fits into your daily caloric intake that is spread out evenly across all your meals and its a low GI good carb source then there is no problem with it....

On my high carb days i am having 45g of carbs (1 cup oats) in my last meal and my BF is still dropping

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by sonysucks View Post
    Nova could you tell me what a nice mix is . If you give me a % of cal that might do. Just dont want to much of one or another. In fact I am having a hard time determining what my pro/carb/fat %'s should be for my fat cutting diet,so if anyone could help.
    PS...I love PB so its great news...and I want to add...to all the people who said to just add raw oatmeal to their shakes...damn good idea ...gets me my carbs and adds some texture to the shakes and tastes great. TRY IT!
    I'd go with lean meat (chicken or lean beef), a red potato, and then i'd have a cup or two of broccoli, maybe some cheese with a handful of almonds. that's a lot of fiber with plenty of protein and carbs and healthy added fats.

Thread Information