NBRD1808 is offline Associate Member

Talking to carb cycle or not to carb cycle...?

Im looking to begin another lean natural bulk in the next month and a half and im wondering wether i should carb cycle or just bulk by eating 300-500 cals above maintenance.

obviously i am looking to gain lean weight and am wondering which method would be best to follow (carb cycle vs. straight bulk). Im have no trouble gaining weight by eating clean cals above maintenance using a 40/40/20 split for macro's im just interested in hearing peoples throughts or preferances etc when it comes to clean bulk and what they feel work best for them

thanks

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Carb cycle would be the prudent approach.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Carb cycling is usually used for cutting, not sure what the benefit of doing it would be it you are trying to bulk.

seriousmass is offline Banned
    While bulking I like to rotate carb days. I keep them relatively high ~350 a day. But I shock my body twice a week and go for around 425 - 450. (I also increase fat intake those days as well though).

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmass View Post
    While bulking I like to rotate carb days. I keep them relatively high ~350 a day. But I shock my body twice a week and go for around 425 - 450. (I also increase fat intake those days as well though).
    Why not just eat 400-500 calories above maintenance every day.

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    Why not just eat 400-500 calories above maintenance every day.
    Unless he's talking about "Cheat food" on the weekends, but I wouldn't call that carb cycling, even if it is a high carb day...

I'm running 350 calories above maintenance and upped cardio to twice a day. Ended up with a nice clean bulk. Same food everyday, no cycling.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    The whole concept and reason for carb cycling is to stay glycogen depleted for extended periods then filling up every so often to keep from going too catabolic and to keep the metabolism going. I am not sure what role or benefit this would have to a bulking cycle. Fallen stated it best, if bulking is your goal stay at your high number throughout.

thanks to all for the replies it has helped me clear afew things up. Just wasnt sure if this method was used during a bulking phase or not. when i begin my bulk i will eat 300-400 cals above maintenance would it be wise to lower carbs slightly on the days i dont train? or just keep them constant and add in 2-3 cardio sessions a week?

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    On off days, I usually reduce the calories a bit in my before bed meal and cut the carbs out of it and that seems to be all I need to do in order to mitigate fat... Cardio sessions are always a good choice imo as well

^^^ thanks for the input.

Thread Information