phat_matt85 is offline Member

Difference between brown rice and wheat pasta?

Im kind of tired of eating brown rice and im thinking to switch it up to wheat pasta. Will this effect my cutting stage?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_matt85 View Post
    Im kind of tired of eating brown rice and im thinking to switch it up to wheat pasta. Will this effect my cutting stage?
    depends, how are you going to change the portions?

The portions will stay the say, ex: if i ate 40 grams of carbs from brown rice for dinner i will replace it with 40 grams of carbs from wheat pasta, I just think of pasta as more for bulking but since its wheat i guess it wont hurt my cutting stage.

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    hummm... have u looked up the GI impact on both?? im not on my reg computer right now, or i'd do it for u...

phate, any idea on this??

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    hummm... have u looked up the GI impact on both?? im not on my reg computer right now, or i'd do it for u...

phate, any idea on this??
    i go more on GL than GI, look up the difference and you'll see why

in that respect, wheat pasta is on par with brown rice, but you could try something like egg fettuccine, it actually is around 10 points lower than the formers(it's close to yams)

^^ ill get right on that

^^ ill get right on that
    actually i'll just post some info since you're not on your reg computer

Definition of Glycaemic Index (GI)

The GI is defined as the incremental area under the curve (AUC) for the test food expressed as a percent of the response after 50g anhydrous glucose taken by the same subject. In practice individual GI values are calculated for each test taken by each subject. The resulting values for each test food are averaged to give the food GI. If white bread is used as the reference food, the resulting GI values are multiplied by 0.71 (or divided by 1.4) to convert to the glucose scale, because the GI of white bread, relative to glucose, is 71.
    Difference between Glycaemic Index (GI), Glycaemic Response (GR) and Glycaemic Load (GL)

GI is measure of the extent to which the available carbohydrate in foods raises blood glucose on a gram-for-gram basis. The GI is independent of the amount of food consumed, and is independent of the glucose tolerance status of the subject tested (eg. it is the same in people with or without diabetes). GI can be thought of as a measure of the quality of the available carbohydrate in the food. The GI cannot be applied to foods containing no available carbohydrate (ie. it is meaningless to say, for example, that bacon has a GI of 0). Fat and protein influence glycaemic responses independently from the quality of the carbohydrate; this has 3 implications for the GI: 1) the GI is determined by feeding carbohydrate foods alone; 2) the GI is best applied to high carbohydrate foods, foods containing large amounts of fat and protein may have low glycaemic responses due to the fat or protein; 3) the GI of mixed meals is not measured, but calculated from the GI values of the individual foods in the meal.

GR is the extent to which any test meal raises blood glucose. GR is affected by the glucose tolerance status of the subject. GR is also affected by the amount of carbohydrate in the meal, the digestibility of the carbohydrate (eg. undigestible carbohydrates such as fructo-oligosaccharides do not raise blood glucose), the GI of the available carbohydrate and the amount and type of fat and protein. The effects of fat and protein on glycemic responses probably differ in insulin sensitive and insulin resistant people.

GL is defined as GI _ g, where GI is the food GI and g is the grams of available carbohydrate. Hence, GL is thought to be a measure of the overall glycaemic impact of the food consumed. However, this has not been verified in practice. GL is useful as a way of thinking about the acute glycaemic effects of foods; for example, even though carrots may have a high GI, they contain very little carbohydrate, so do not affect blood glucose very much. However, we believe that GL is not useful for dietary management because it can be changed either by changing diet GI or by changing the amount of carbohydrate in the diet. GI and amount of carbohydrate are completely different things. Reducing diet GI with no change in carbohydrate intake has different effects on beta-cell function, blood pressure, and plasma insulin, triglyceride and free fatty acid levels than reducing carbohydrate intake.

I will see what i can come up with also

lol or as i was going to say...you guys will prob beat me! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    actually i'll just post some info since you're not on your reg computer

Definition of Glycaemic Index (GI)

The GI is defined as the incremental area under the curve (AUC) for the test food expressed as a percent of the response after 50g anhydrous glucose taken by the same subject. In practice individual GI values are calculated for each test taken by each subject. The resulting values for each test food are averaged to give the food GI. If white bread is used as the reference food, the resulting GI values are multiplied by 0.71 (or divided by 1.4) to convert to the glucose scale, because the GI of white bread, relative to glucose, is 71.
    Difference between Glycaemic Index (GI), Glycaemic Response (GR) and Glycaemic Load (GL)

GI is measure of the extent to which the available carbohydrate in foods raises blood glucose on a gram-for-gram basis. The GI is independent of the amount of food consumed, and is independent of the glucose tolerance status of the subject tested (eg. it is the same in people with or without diabetes). GI can be thought of as a measure of the quality of the available carbohydrate in the food. The GI cannot be applied to foods containing no available carbohydrate (ie. it is meaningless to say, for example, that bacon has a GI of 0). Fat and protein influence glycaemic responses independently from the quality of the carbohydrate; this has 3 implications for the GI: 1) the GI is determined by feeding carbohydrate foods alone; 2) the GI is best applied to high carbohydrate foods, foods containing large amounts of fat and protein may have low glycaemic responses due to the fat or protein; 3) the GI of mixed meals is not measured, but calculated from the GI values of the individual foods in the meal.

GR is the extent to which any test meal raises blood glucose. GR is affected by the glucose tolerance status of the subject. GR is also affected by the amount of carbohydrate in the meal, the digestibility of the carbohydrate (eg. undigestible carbohydrates such as fructo-oligosaccharides do not raise blood glucose), the GI of the available carbohydrate and the amount and type of fat and protein. The effects of fat and protein on glycemic responses probably differ in insulin sensitive and insulin resistant people.

GL is defined as GI _ g, where GI is the food GI and g is the grams of available carbohydrate. Hence, GL is thought to be a measure of the overall glycaemic impact of the food consumed. However, this has not been verified in practice. GL is useful as a way of thinking about the acute glycaemic effects of foods; for example, even though carrots may have a high GI, they contain very little carbohydrate, so do not affect blood glucose very much. However, we believe that GL is not useful for dietary management because it can be changed either by changing diet GI or by changing the amount of carbohydrate in the diet. GI and amount of carbohydrate are completely different things. Reducing diet GI with no change in carbohydrate intake has different effects on beta-cell function, blood pressure, and plasma insulin, triglyceride and free fatty acid levels than reducing carbohydrate intake.
    phate, this has sticky written alll over it

phate, this has sticky written alll over it
    actually it has copy and paste written on it, lol

i'll compose a thread sometime of GL, GI, effects and studys and such and ask to have it made as a sticky but this is too short for now, maybe when i add a few pages to ittt

Copy and paste was my best friend in high school and college

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    ^ still is for me in college

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    ditto

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    brown rice is good, pasta might be too.
    just got to make sure its low on the gi list.

but i do like using sweet potatoe also.
    sometimes i use this brown wheat, called brugul its ethnic very good also.
    lentils.
    beans for me they are all very very good, anything from the ground you cant go wrong.

I love beens too, i might just do that for a little until i read little more on wheat pasta.

Thread Information