Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    markleedsfc is offline New Member

Question carbs and water retention question

Is it true that carbs are only stored as glycogen and water and they won't be stored as fat so a low carb diet will only help lose weight due to the loss of glycogen and water or can carbs be stored as fat?

killface is offline Associate Member
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking so here are a few points that might help:

Carbs can be stored as glycogen in the muscle or as fat elsewhere in the body.
    If your muscle glycogen is low, carbs will be used to replenish it.
    If your muscle glycogen is not low, carbs will be used for energy needs and the excess stored as fat. *There are several other factors that determine exactly what happens here.
    Optimal fat burning happens when muscle glycogen is depleted (PWO or first thing in the morning).

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by markleedsfc View Post
    Is it true that carbs are only stored as glycogen and water and they won't be stored as fat so a low carb diet will only help lose weight due to the loss of glycogen and water or can carbs be stored as fat?
    Not even remotely true.

If that were the case I could eat unlimited carbs all day long and never get fat...

Pretty sure if you eat 25 tubs of ice cream I ill put on some fat man.

Carb CANT be stored as fat thats true in a way, adipose tissue is fat storage and excess calories are converted to triglycerides for storage in the body when glycogen reserves have been utilized and blood sugar is at adequate levels.

Thread Information