Thread: Carbs?

A7X
    A7X is offline Junior Member

Carbs?

so there are 3 types of carbs??? fiber carbs wich are greens like lettace? complex carbs like pasta rice ect? and simple carbs like fruits? my question is when do you eat simple and fiber carbs and what exactly do simple carbs do for the body? I know they are like quick energy but why is that bad? and fiber carbs...you burn more carlories digesting them than what u get out of them??? (that kinda confuses me) why is that important to my diet? couldnt i just not eat them and do like cardio?

thank you guys hope u can help me..

(and in case anyone is learning i got all this info from the fourms, i just hopen some one could make some sense of it for me lol)

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes you can say that, but there are four main types of carbs. Fiber is not a carbohydrate per say. Carbohydrates are known as saccharides, and they are classified according to the length of their atomic chains, the longer it is, the more complex the carbohydrate is. To keep it simple for you there are simple carbohydrates, such as sugars, and complex carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates tend to be contained in more unprocessed foods such as whole grain bread, they take a long time for your body to digest and hence provide a slow release of glucose into your system to be utilized for energy. This is important because your body needs glucose to survive, its all in the ATP production, if your interested in that. Things such as white rice and pasta are not true complex carbohydrates but more 'moderate' carbohydrates because they are highly processed. Simple carbohydrates are important for the body, every carb you eat gets turned into simple carbs by the body and hence utilized to produce energy which lets you walk, breath, eat, sleep.... live. Without simple carbs, or sugars, your will not be alive. That being said, a diet rich in simple carbs causes many problem, this is due to insulin and insulin sensitivity, this is another subject and i will not dive into it here.

Simple carbs are great taken during and after exercise when your glycogen stores (the sugars in your muscles and cells) are depleted because of the exercise. This will help prevent your mitochondria from consuming muscle.

'quick energy' as you put it is bad because of the sudden rise in glucose levels in the blood and the insulin spike in the body.

Lettuce is not a fiber carb, let me explain, fiber is anything your body cannot digest and passes through your waste, so a piece of plastic can be fiber. There are three types of fibers, soluble fiber, partially soluble fiber and non-soluble fiber. your body needs fibre, there are little 'bugs' or bacteria (micro and macro fauna) in your intestines that help digest your food, and they need food to live to, and they eat soluble fiber... remember im putting this in simple terms, its a lot more complex than that.... fiber helps your body to digest food and lets your 'poo' or waste to exite the body in a more fluid path... and prevents constipation.

Your body doesn't burn more calories digesting them because they cannot be digested, hence the name fiber. No you cannot not eat them, you need fiber to maintain a healthy lifestyle, fibre is key to helping your body absorb and digest food. I could go into pages of writings to explain this.

i hope that helped. but to get a proper idea, you would need a lot more research, but i tried to keep it simple for you.

A7X
    hmmm.... so do if ur diet is a protin everymeal and 1 simple carb meal for your PWO meal. and like 3 meals with fats is the other 4 meals protien and complex carbs?
    (does that make any sense?)

SquatMan is offline New Member
    Although you have good information in this post there are few things I'd like to add, you say that we can not "live" without simple sugars, I'm sorry but that's not entirely true, it is possible, in fact that's what the keto diet is all about, it's basically protein and fats with only trace amounts of non impact carbs from green veggies, although it is recommended to have a carb meal once in a while to keep the thyroid stimulated, but that is only for body building purposes, another example is the Atkins diet, it's basically a unhealthier version of a type of keto diet imo. Also if we go back in time in the cavemen day's...there was no such thing as pasta, rice and bread...it was all meat and fats...we still have to genes imprinted in our dna , so it is possible to "live" without sugars, but the fact is we as humans have come to love sugar and have made it a staple in our daily diet, whether it is breads, potatos or sweets...etc.

And fibrous carbs do in fact help burn fat, because fiber is indigestible it actually makes you body burn more calories in the process, even though it can't be digested the body will still try so to speak so it burns more calories than it takes in, the actual term for this is: dietary thermogenesis, this basically means the heat the body generates from the digestion of the foods we eat, this is proven and documented, there was a time when it was referred as Specific Dynamic Action (SDA).

Dietary thermogenisis is most effective when you eat green fibrous veggies like: broccoli, celery...etc...the body has to work very hard to try and digest these veggies in turn elevating your core temperature so to speak. Protein also demands a big effort for digesting this nutrient, it yields about a 30% thermic effort, so for every 100 cal you consume your body should burn about 30 cal in the process. Carbs yield less of a thermic efffort it's about 15% and fats contain the lest, about 3 to 4 %, the reason for this is fat acts as an insulator for the human body so basically more insulation = less heat.

Not trying to flame anyone here, just trying to add info to this discussion.

S
    Last edited by SquatMan; 01-03-2010 at 09:35 AM.

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    give me a break squatman it was 2am where i was

i was keeping it basic and your additions are more than valid.

However i think that the removal of carbohydrates would cause detrimental health affects, as show by idiots who attempt the atkins and keto diet in place of a proper diet. From the very early ancestry we have eated carbohydrates in the form of fruits and leaf matter, if we did indeed originate from apes, their prime diet is fruit and leaf matter, why would be all of a sudden ignore such a staple food? espesh when meat would of been very scarce and hard for use to catch, i mean we arnt fast, we arnt cheeta's. But we did have sticks and stones.

One can live without carbohydrates, the body is very efficient at converting protein into glucose, but how healthy would that lifestyle be? There is a reason humans find sugarr so tasteful and sweet, its because our body wants us to eat them, if we needed say bark to live our tastebuds would tune into that, but These are just two different schools of thought.

have protein every meal, 6-8 meals a day. SPace them out ever two hours. Keep a radio of 40% protien 40% carbs 20% fat, to keep it simple, but i would recommended 60 25 15. Complex carbs and protien in every meal with fats every meal or every other.

SquatMan is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Rose View Post
    give me a break squatman it was 2am where i was

i was keeping it basic and your additions are more than valid.

However i think that the removal of carbohydrates would cause detrimental health affects, as show by idiots who attempt the atkins and keto diet in place of a proper diet. From the very early ancestry we have eated carbohydrates in the form of fruits and leaf matter, if we did indeed originate from apes, their prime diet is fruit and leaf matter, why would be all of a sudden ignore such a staple food? espesh when meat would of been very scarce and hard for use to catch, i mean we arnt fast, we arnt cheeta's. But we did have sticks and stones.

One can live without carbohydrates, the body is very efficient at converting protein into glucose, but how healthy would that lifestyle be? There is a reason humans find sugarr so tasteful and sweet, its because our body wants us to eat them, if we needed say bark to live our tastebuds would tune into that, but These are just two different schools of thought.

have protein every meal, 6-8 meals a day. SPace them out ever two hours. Keep a radio of 40% protien 40% carbs 20% fat, to keep it simple, but i would recommended 60 25 15. Complex carbs and protien in every meal with fats every meal or every other.

LOL...ok...I guess we'll cut you some slack, I suppose trying to explain this at 2 am can be a little tiring.

Alll your info is good and has merit and I agree that adding carbs are a healthier than keto in the long run, but I was just adding to your original post stating that we needed glucose to live, where as fats are a good source of energy and if the body is not pushed to a limit of effort that necessitates the breakdown of aminos into glucose via gluconeogenesis, fats converted into ketones can also be used as an energy source for both the body and the brain.

And just to add something about your statement concerning our ancestors, I realize that some of them did have the luxury of gathering fruit and leaf but what about the Inuits and Eskimos that lived in the colder climates, they may have had 2 months at best and then the cold and snow would come well before fruit and vegetation would grow in abundance.

Anyhow we could probably go back and forth all day about this...I think we both had good points to this and did in fact enjoy this discussion.

S
    Last edited by SquatMan; 01-03-2010 at 07:23 PM.

A7X
    So are the fiber carbs needed in a diet? and if so when should i eat them? If you want i can post my diet. I was wondering all of this b/c i am trying to bulk and if im burning more calories by eating fiber carbs than why would i do that?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Because your body needs fibre to operate effeciently. You should have them with just about every meal.

Thread Information