gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Critique my first refeed day

Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to bring these 'critique my....' threads to a whole new ridiculous level. Rather, I am very new to this whole carb cycling/refeed thing and want to make sure i'm not way off with what i'm doing.

As a reminder, i'm basically on a 40P/40C/20F cutting diet at around 1900 calories daily, M-F. Workouts are M, T, Th, F (Wednesday is cardio only). Saturday is an off day but I stick to the same 40/40/20 minus a PWO meal. Sunday is the refeed day. I have been on the diet for 3 weeks and did my first refeed today.

I did alot of research before doing the refeed, and from what I've read it's ok (and actually might be more beneficial) to refeed using 'white' carbs - bagels, pasta, white potatoes, cereal, etc. as opposed to brown rice, yams, oats, etc. My goal was to eat roughly 80g carbs during each of my first 4 meals of the day, then switch back to veggies the rest of the day. Below is what I ate today:

Meal 1: 1 whole egg, 3 whites - 18g protein, 5g fat - 120 calories
    1 bagel - 10g protein, 47g carbs, 2.5g fat - 250 calories
    1 blow special K cereal - 2g protein, 24g carbs, 2g fat - 120 calories
    2 cups skim milk - 16g protein, 24g carbs - 180 calories
    TOTALS: 46g protein, 95g carbs, 9.5g fat - 670 calories

Meal 2: 1 cup oats - 10g protein, 48g carbs, 5g fat - 280 calories
    1 scoop whey - 24g protein, 3g carbs, 1g fat - 120 calories
    1 bowl Oats & Honey Cereal - 3g protein, 24g carbs, 2g fat - 130 calories
    TOTALS: 37g protein, 75g carbs, 8g fat - 530 calories

Meal 3: 2 servings Barilla Plus pasta - 20g protein, 68g carbs, 4g fat - 420 calories
    1/2 cup tomato sauce - 2g protein, 10g carbs, 1g fat - 60 calories
    7oz chicken breast - 42g protein - 168 calories
    TOTALS: 64g protein, 78g carbs, 5g fat - 648 calories

Meal 4: 4oz chicken breast - 24g protein - 96 calories
    1 bagel - 10g protein, 47g carbs, 2.5g fat - 250 calories
    1 blow special K cereal - 2g protein, 24g carbs, 2g fat - 120 calories
    TOTALS: 36g protein, 71g carbs, 4.5g fat - 466 calories

Meal 5: 4oz chicken breast - 24g protein - 96 calories
    1 cup brussel sprouts - 10g carbs - 40 calories
    TOTALS: 24g protein, 10g carbs - 140 calories

Meal 6: 1 Scoop Casein Protein – 24g Protein, 2g Carbs, 1g Fat – 120 Calories
    TOTALS: 24g protein, 2g carbs, 1g fat - 120 calories

DAILY TOTALS: 230g protein, 330g carbs, 30g fat - 2575 calories

So, what do you think? I am roughly 200g carbs higher than normal, and protein and fats are about the same. Calories are roughly 700 higher than usual. I'm feeling pretty euphoric right now from all the carbs, and hope to feel strong as hell in the gym tomorrow morning. We'll see!

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    The way did re-feeds was to eat my protein first, then eat carbs until I'm satisfied, not full. I never counted carbs on re-feeds.

And yes, white carbs are fine, even beneficial.

americanoak is offline Member
    so you are carb cycling, but ive never seen it like this.

I've seen ( and done ) 3 to 4 days on very low carbs and then after that few day span to have more carbs in every meal, then restart the next day.

Is this the same but instead of 3 or 4 days you are doing mon-sat and then sunday a refeed? If so, is there much of a difference doing 3 to 4 days as aposed to 6

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    And yes, white carbs are fine, even beneficial.
    Thanks for confirming, and i'm glad to hear that!

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Thanks for confirming, and i'm glad to hear that!
    Anytime!

I would tell you that higher GI cabs produce higher leptin response, but I'm sure you already know that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by americanoak View Post
    so you are carb cycling, but ive never seen it like this.

I've seen ( and done ) 3 to 4 days on very low carbs and then after that few day span to have more carbs in every meal, then restart the next day.

Is this the same but instead of 3 or 4 days you are doing mon-sat and then sunday a refeed? If so, is there much of a difference doing 3 to 4 days as aposed to 6
    I'd have to leave your question for some of the more educated people here to answer. I'm glad you asked it though, because i've been reading about the type of cycling you mentioned above, as well as CKD diets.

This type of diet was recommended by other members who have had success with it, so time will tell whether it's going to work for me or not. I just need to be patient and give my body time to adjust and hopefully get into a nice fat burning rhythm.

americanoak is offline Member
    yea, whenever you drop your carbs its kind of difficult, but ive been doing it for so long now that when i eat too many carbs, or even on my carb up days i feel horrible for doing it. Today was the first day in a long time where i had more than one slice of bread in the same meal, and it was wheat bread.

gl with the diet though

Just as I had hoped, I was strong as an ox in the gym this morning. I went up on my bench press which is rare these days. It would be great if this 'renewed' feeling would last all week, but I know it won't. I guess i'll just look forward to Sunday again! =)

KnowHope is offline Junior Member
    Looks like you are taking TOP's advice nicely brice, how are things coming along. It is nice to hear you are feeling the benefits of the keto diet though! I think I will jump on the wagon after another month at 40/40/20 myself!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowHope View Post
    Looks like you are taking TOP's advice nicely brice, how are things coming along. It is nice to hear you are feeling the benefits of the keto diet though! I think I will jump on the wagon after another month at 40/40/20 myself!
    Thanks Hope! So far so good I guess, next week starts month 2 on this plan, usually the 2nd - 3rd month is when the 'magic' happens when it comes to fat loss (at least that's been my experience in the past), so we'll see. I wasn't expecting much in the first month, but I sure hope it kicks up!

Thread Information