Enhanced777 is offline New Member

Brown vs White rice in terms of GI

Hey guys im bulking right now and out of trial and error i definitely see my body do its best on a high carb (600+ grams daily along with cycling days) and rice is my main staple in attaining those carbs.

Basically im asking in terms of GI and the using the carbs toward mostly muscle growth and not fat build up, is there really that much of a difference between white and brown rice? I've searched for about a week now over the net and ive found tons of different answers that contradict themselves. If you guys could clear this up for me and tell me which is better for muscle building and less likely to spike insulin too high and go to the muscles instead as glycogen.

Thanks guys,

E

alasitsover is offline New Member
    i cut naturally eating both white rice and brown and i saw no difference in results. They have very little differences and not worth the trouble if u dont like brown rice.

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    i eat brown rice that what my coach has my on
    Last edited by bjpennnn; 02-03-2010 at 08:33 PM.

laduem88 is offline Senior Member
    arnt oats better than rice?

alasitsover is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by laduem88 View Post
    arnt oats better than rice?
    no brah, oats are only good post workout kuz it spikes insulin levels which will result in the ITIS

(not srs)

Quote Originally Posted by alasitsover View Post
    no brah, oats are only good post workout kuz it spikes insulin levels which will result in the ITIS

(not srs)
    actually its the oppostie bro. Even though they are both low on the GI scale...oates cause less of an insulin spike. But back on topic...any more advice brown vs white in terms of muscle glycogen and fat storage? btw I have long grain white rice by mahatma...supposedly long grain is supposed to be lower GI wise

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    im currently on over 5000 calories atm

700grams carbs bulking, and i only eat white long grain rice

theirs no way in fukin hell i could shovel down 700 carbs, 330 protein and 80 fat when all my carbs are wholegrain,

brown rice is fine for me when dieting, since its filling and low g.i

but when your eating that much food (over 5000 calories)

and you just ate 2-3 cups of oats, and 8 egg whites 2 hours ago

and you need to eat your next meal now, which is 2-3 cups brown rice with 2-3 tins of springwater tuna

u just start wanting to give yourself a weggie, coz it tastes liek fukin cardboard when your eating that many calories

even coco pops cereal starts tasting like shit when your eating this much

i personaly just high the white long grain rice, no way in hell am i gonna try eat brown rice when bulking

PLUS if your eating ALL super clean foods now when your bulking, and you get use to it

imagine how ull feel when you drop ur calories back down to 3000 or 2500 calories of clean food?

your gonna be fukin starving

Crest is offline Senior Member
    white and brown rice are pretty much the same thing nowa days to be honest with you. i don't really nitice a difference.

Lean1038 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhanced777 View Post
    actually its the oppostie bro. Even though they are both low on the GI scale...oates cause less of an insulin spike. But back on topic...any more advice brown vs white in terms of muscle glycogen and fat storage? btw I have long grain white rice by mahatma...supposedly long grain is supposed to be lower GI wise
    Precisely. GIs all come down to timing and efficiency. However, the only time you'd favor a higher GI like white rice over a lower GI like brown rice is post workout... Yet even then the fiber in it renders it a poor choice as fiber slows digestion and you need glycogen replenishment NOW!

This is why supplements like Karbolyn are so great... High insulin spike, a low glycemic index, and no fiber to slows things down.

To answer your question for general daily nourishment Brown > White if you're looking to be lean.

*Alex* is offline Senior Member
    Oats , white rice , brown rice is all good for bulking and cutting. Just change the amount acordinetly

JScondition is offline Member
    If anyone's seen Jay Cutler's movie... he only eats white rice. I do believe the movie took place during his "cutting" phase before Mr Olympia too. So if he's not worried about the difference you're probably good with either.

Little Herc is offline Associate Member
    I say man up and eat the brown rice. The taste difference between the two isn't big enough that it should matter.

My big problem is with condiments. I can eat healthy meats and veggies but ill like to baste them in some bbq or ranch. I don't wanna hijack your thread but it would be nice if anyone got some good alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Herc View Post
    I say man up and eat the brown rice. The taste difference between the two isn't big enough that it should matter.

My big problem is with condiments. I can eat healthy meats and veggies but ill like to baste them in some bbq or ranch. I don't wanna hijack your thread but it would be nice if anyone got some good alternatives.
    I say give a good reason and some science as to why I should choose one or the other. I started this thread to get LEGIT answers not to have someone tell me to man up...I have no problem switching from white to brown if it will give me an advantage building muscle. So, your post is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by JScondition View Post
    If anyone's seen Jay Cutler's movie... he only eats white rice. I do believe the movie took place during his "cutting" phase before Mr Olympia too. So if he's not worried about the difference you're probably good with either.
    i think this here could be your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by bjpennnn View Post
    i think this here could be your answer.
    thanks man I didn't mean you guys, it's just his post pist me off a little. Mostly because I had a horrible day today...I bought some high fiber oatmeal and it basically turned my quick digestive system into an even quicker one like I took a laxative.

Anyways, I found 4 different GI charts where they say LONG GRAIN white rice is 55 on the GI scale and brown rice is 55 as well. And i have long grain white so ill stick with mine...especially since brown has more fiber and thats the last thing I need.

hahaha i am sorry to hear that man. well good luck with everything i am glad you posted this i learned some things.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    white rice and white potatoes all the way for me!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN DIETING!! I look hard, grainy, and pumped as hell on white carb sources. I've nevr had problems leaning out on white rice or potatoes

Thread Information