vlad878 is offline Junior Member

for cutting would eating only 2 carb meals a day be good?

one meal preworkout one post then the rest of the day only take in protein/fats/veggies

the carbs are about 50g pre and post

durak is offline Member
    Depends on how much muscle you are willing to burn. Get some keto sticks at the pharmacy to check your urine every day.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Personally i'd probably do around 100g a day - @ 50g/day you're dangerously close to a ketogenic type diet, and if that's not what you're going for (it's not just about eating low carb) then you could screw the whole thing up.

That said, definitely do carbs pre and post workout. What time of day do you workout?

Quote Originally Posted by durak View Post
    Depends on how much muscle you are willing to burn. Get some keto sticks at the pharmacy to check your urine every day.
    why would i burn muscle if im on anabolics and get enough protein in
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Personally i'd probably do around 100g a day - @ 50g/day you're dangerously close to a ketogenic type diet, and if that's not what you're going for (it's not just about eating low carb) then you could screw the whole thing up.

That said, definitely do carbs pre and post workout. What time of day do you workout?
    i workout right after my first meal

yea im saying i will take in 50g pre and 50g postworkout

Quote Originally Posted by vlad878 View Post
    i workout right after my first meal

yea im saying i will take in 50g pre and 50g postworkout
    Perfect! You can definitely just eat carbs at these 2 meals, and I like the fact it's early in the day. So to clarify, you're first meal of the day is your pre-workout meal where you will consume 50g (complex) carbs, and then post-workout another 50g, right?

Make sure you are eating fats with the rest of your meals; you can't just eat protein the rest of the day.

im9boss is offline Junior Member
    because if you dont have enough carbs to fuel your body, your body is going to go straight for the muscle for fuel.

JinNtonic is offline Member
    I have the same question.

JinNtonic is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by im9boss View Post
    because if you dont have enough carbs to fuel your body, your body is going to go straight for the muscle for fuel.
    Muscle is not fuel. Carbs & Fat are fuel.

Please explain more?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by JinNtonic View Post
    Muscle is not fuel. Carbs & Fat are fuel.

Please explain more?
    If there are no carbs or fats available for fuel and energy is in high demand your body will then turn to dietary protein and muscle tissue for for it's energy source.

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    The bodies preferred source for fuel at rest is fats. Carbs first thing in the AM and before and after workouts is great. Just make sure you are getting in healthy fats in every meal when carbs are low.

You will never get a great or acccurate answer to questions like these because you are viewing a portion of dieting in a vacuum so to speak. Protein, Carbs, Fats, Cardio, Goals, LBM, BF% are all factors in dieting. Its hard to answer a question about any one without having all the information needed.

LiftedDuramax2007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    If there are no carbs or fats available for fuel and energy is in high demand your body will then turn to dietary protein and muscle tissue for for it's energy source.
    If there are no carbs and fats for fuel is this where taking in BCAA supps would cut down on muscle catabolism?

^^Yes.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    no its terrible, unless you are a genetic Jabba The Hut its an awful approach that will take just as much muscle as it will fat. Your going from a normal diet to all of a sudden almost no carbs? The body does not like drastic changes to that degree. I'll tell you right now how your body will respond, it'll zap muscle, make you drag ass tired, flat, depleted, and to top it off borderline retarded acting. Fat gets burned when your body goes outside of available daily cals and there is a deficit. You can still create that deficit while eating carbs. Also, carbs are needed to transport nutrients and water into the muscle, the word is CARB O HYDRATE, HYDRATE, hydrate the muscle, after all the muscles are 75% water anyways. Another thing, cortisol levels become elevated very easily on a carb deprivation to that degree, you'll lose weight alright, but your still going to have a soft film over the muscle if ur not careful. I cant stand low carb diets. I have a guy right now I did a diet for, he has consumed 300 grams of carbs/day his entire 16 wk diet. He is a few wks out from his contest and he's 5% bodyfat, and he's natural!! He's still pumped, peeled, and trains hard. The other guys in the gym who are using a bunch of juice and taking the carb deprivation approach are all asking "what the hell is he on?" I respond, "carbs!!"

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Perfect! You can definitely just eat carbs at these 2 meals, and I like the fact it's early in the day. So to clarify, you're first meal of the day is your pre-workout meal where you will consume 50g (complex) carbs, and then post-workout another 50g, right?

Make sure you are eating fats with the rest of your meals; you can't just eat protein the rest of the day.
    yea im getting healthy fats with every meal from almonds and peannutbutter
    Quote Originally Posted by NVR2BIG1 View Post
    no its terrible, unless you are a genetic Jabba The Hut its an awful approach that will take just as much muscle as it will fat. Your going from a normal diet to all of a sudden almost no carbs? The body does not like drastic changes to that degree. I'll tell you right now how your body will respond, it'll zap muscle, make you drag ass tired, flat, depleted, and to top it off borderline retarded acting. Fat gets burned when your body goes outside of available daily cals and there is a deficit. You can still create that deficit while eating carbs. Also, carbs are needed to transport nutrients and water into the muscle, the word is CARB O HYDRATE, HYDRATE, hydrate the muscle, after all the muscles are 75% water anyways. Another thing, cortisol levels become elevated very easily on a carb deprivation to that degree, you'll lose weight alright, but your still going to have a soft film over the muscle if ur not careful. I cant stand low carb diets. I have a guy right now I did a diet for, he has consumed 300 grams of carbs/day his entire 16 wk diet. He is a few wks out from his contest and he's 5% bodyfat, and he's natural!! He's still pumped, peeled, and trains hard. The other guys in the gym who are using a bunch of juice and taking the carb deprivation approach are all asking "what the hell is he on?" I respond, "carbs!!"
    if thats true then why was low carb'n very popular in bodybuilding for so long? i doubt you would lose a huge amount of muscle if u are on cycle mabey a natty would lose muscle with low carbs

its been a week allready havent lost any strength and im not on a cycle right now

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    yea im getting healthy fats with every meal from almonds and peannutbutter
    Hope you're referring to natural peanut butter. Those both are good efa's but don't forget about fish oil...it is the superior EFA IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Hope you're referring to natural peanut butter. Those both are good efa's but don't forget about fish oil...it is the superior EFA IMO.
    x2. I wouldn't rely solely on peanut and almond butter for my dietary fats. Fish oil, olive oil, flax, etc - all good sources. A serving of salmon late in the day would be excellent.

mrniceguy215 is offline Banned
    wouldnt your body just use your fat on your body before it burns the muscle? duh!

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy215 View Post
    wouldnt your body just use your fat on your body before it burns the muscle? duh!
    Actually it doesnt quite work that way......Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Actually it doesnt quite work that way......Duh!
    lol

YoungGunsNY is offline Associate Member
    Haha, this guy got some vets helping him & he says DUH to them with some very very incorrect info .. wow...

Thread Information