Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    siddy101 is offline Associate Member

bulk Diet critique please, full macros included.

Hello,
    age 23
    Height 5'9
    weight 163lbs
    bulking 4 day split

Check out my diet, *Very loosely* based off 'unofficial how to bulk' sample diet

Afternoon snack - has to be protein powder due to work restrictions
    have a look

little cardio is performed on this diet, 20 mins slow jog prior to workout, my work is medium-heavy labour.

Please note - may be slightly inaccurate as i used fitday for macros and used to closest foods available to what I actually eat.

Breakfast:

1.5 cup raw rolled oats fat-7.7 carbs-81.4 protein-19.4
    Banana .4 27 1.3
    2 cup skim milk no fat .4 24.3 16.5
    1 tblspoon natty pb 6.1 6.4 4.7
    2 scoops protein powder 2.8 5.1 31.2

fat - 17.4
    pro - 73.1
    carbs - 144.2

cals - 1002

mid morning:

2 cans of Tuna, 1 springwater, 1 olive oil fat 1.8 carbs 0 pro 56.1

fat - 1.8
    pro 56.1
    carbs 0

cals - 255

Lunch

150g lean turkey breast fat 11.8 carbs 0 pro 43.2
    1/2 cup brown rice fat 1.4 carbs 36.2 pro 4.1

fat - 13.2
    pro - 47.3
    carbs - 36.2

cals - 466

afternoon snack
    2 scoops protein powder in water fat 2.8 carbs 5.1 pro 31.2

fat - 2.8
    pro - 31.2
    carbs 5.1

cals - 170

Pre-workout

200 g lean ground beef fat 35.3 carbs 0 pro 51.1
    1 slice mutigrain toast 1 12 2.6

fat 36.3
    pro 53.7
    carb 12.1

cals 603

post workout

2 scoops universal real gains in water fat 2.0 carbs 58 pro 34

fat 2
    carbs 58
    pro 34

cals - 400

Dinner

Most often steak+ veg, impossible to get accurate macros as meals vary, will try to estimate as

fat 20
    carbs 20
    pro 30

cals *around 200

Before bed

2 scoops protein powder 2 cups skim milk fat 3.2 carbs 24.3 pro 47.7

*Totals*

fat - 96.5
    Carbs - 301.7
    pro - 363.1

cals - 3433

thanks!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siddy101 View Post
    Hello,
    age 23
    Height 5'9
    weight 163lbs
    bulking 4 day split

Check out my diet, *Very loosely* based off 'unofficial how to bulk' sample diet

Afternoon snack - has to be protein powder due to work restrictions
    have a look

little cardio is performed on this diet, 20 mins slow jog prior to workout, my work is medium-heavy labour.

Please note - may be slightly inaccurate as i used fitday for macros and used to closest foods available to what I actually eat.

Breakfast:

1.5 cup raw rolled oats fat-7.7 carbs-81.4 protein-19.4 Just 1 cup is fine.
    Banana .4 27 1.3
    2 cup skim milk no fat .4 24.3 16.5 Remove this, it puts the sugar/carbs for this meal way over the top and adds nothing you need to the meal.
    1 tblspoon natty pb 6.1 6.4 4.7 Remove the PB here.
    2 scoops protein powder 2.8 5.1 31.2 You can't make quality gains eating more shakes than real meals and that's currently your situation. Know that and make the time to cook 2 eggs and 8-10 whites.

fat - 17.4
    pro - 73.140-50g is fine.
    carbs - 144.2 80-90g is plenty here - you have none in the next meal. Even carb consumption leading up until your workout will yield a more productive and energetic day.

cals - 1002 Excessive. Just because it's your first meal doesn't mean it has to be a feast - you'll be eating again soon.

mid morning:

2 cans of Tuna, 1 springwater, 1 olive oil fat 1.8 carbs 0 pro 56.1 I hope your water intake is 2 gallons per day or so and not limited to a vottle of springwater occasionally, lmao. Add 60-80g complex carbs to this meal via brown rice, sweet potato, oats, etc. Also, how only 1.8g of fat? 1 tablespoon of olive oil has 14.5g. Your macros aren't right. Regardless, leave the oil out and just mix your tuna with some low-cal dressing. This meal should look like this: 50pro/70carb

fat - 1.8
    pro 56.1
    carbs 0

cals - 255

Lunch

150g lean turkey breast fat 11.8 carbs 0 pro 43.2 How lean? 12g of fat is a lot for turkey breast.
    1/2 cup brown rice fat 1.4 carbs 36.2 pro 4.1 do a whole cup

fat - 13.2
    pro - 47.3
    carbs - 36.2

cals - 466

afternoon snack
    2 scoops protein powder in water fat 2.8 carbs 5.1 pro 31.2 We all have busy lives and sometimes, a shake just has to do. That said, make sure it's a quality shake and a complete meal by adding complex carbs to fuel you and spare the protein. Add 1 cup of oats.

fat - 2.8
    pro - 31.2
    carbs 5.1

cals - 170

Pre-workout

200 g lean ground beef fat 35.3 carbs 0 pro 51.1
    1 slice mutigrain toast 1 12 2.6 your diet makes no sense. You eat 150g of carbs at breakfast and then 12g before a grueling training session? Also, you say lean ground beef but it has 35g of fat - that's like eating 2.5 tablespoons of butter in terms of saturated fat. You need to A) get yourself some 95/5 lean ground beef and B) eat 50g+ complex carbs here - you're bulking, remember? Add 1 cup of brown rice, oats, sweet potato, lentils - you know the drill.

fat 36.3
    pro 53.7
    carb 12.1

cals 603

post workout

2 scoops universal real gains in water fat 2.0 carbs 58 pro 34 Dunno what this is but I'm sure it's a waste of money. Just slam 2 scoops of whey with 1 cup of oats and a banana PWO. Other options are waxy maize starch, vitargo, other fruits, etc.

fat 2
    carbs 58
    pro 34

cals - 400

Dinner

Most often steak+ veg, impossible to get accurate macros as meals vary, will try to estimate as Just make sure the meat is lean and the veggies are green and fibrous, not starchy/sugary. Add 15-20g healthy fat via olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc.

fat 20 Good.
    carbs 20 Should be 0
    pro 30 Should be 40

cals *around 200

Before bed

2 scoops protein powder 2 cups skim milk fat 3.2 carbs 24.3 pro 47.7 Bad for a few reasons. A) that's a ton of sugary carbs via milk before bed and will possibly lead to undesired bf% gain and B) whey protein powder will do nothing as a before bed source because the whole point of it is PWO implementation for fast recovery (it's in and out of your system within an hour). Replace it with casein powder, cottage cheese, or steak (slow, slow sources) and add 15-20g healthy fat via the PB i removed from your breakfast, oil, or whatever.

*Totals*

fat - 96.5 Keep them around 80g via the use of leaner meats. Supplement 10g of which with fish oil or other omega-3 supp.
    Carbs - 301.7 400g maybe?
    pro - 363.1 For your size, this is way high man. That's over 2g per lb. 280-300g is fine.

cals - 3433

thanks!
    Changes in bold. You should eat more veggies.
    Last edited by Damienm05; 08-14-2010 at 05:08 AM.

cheers, good advice.

I thought some of the macro's were cocked, I got them off fitday. I had to scroll through 2-3 pages of crap to find turkey breast in there.

oh and for the springwater I meant to say 1 can of tuna was in springwater and one in olive oil, I drink plenty of water.

thanks for taking the time, appreciated.

edit..question,

If I was to go with casein for before bed, what should I mix her with?

Also, with my breakfast i usually chuck all the ingredients in a blender and blend it all into a shake(has the consistency of cement) I do this to save time, How would you recommend consuming my oats and eggs+whites, stupid question i know But there has to be a quicker way then half an hour of cooking and eating, ill be late for work lol, I fear that you will reply to that with 'get up earlier' haha....
    Last edited by siddy101; 08-14-2010 at 06:33 AM.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Great advice by Damien as usual.

I'd mix the casein shake with water, and again, add an EFA to that meal. I don't care for PB (it's just too easy to over eat the PB), so I'd go with fish oil, or an oil source (no one is going to over eat on fish oil!)

I don't know how it takes you half an hour to eat oats and eggs. you could just scramble them up and chow them down.

Or....you guessed it....get up earlier

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    I don't care for PB (it's just too easy to over eat the PB), so I'd go with fish oil, or an oil source (no one is going to over eat on fish oil!)
    My God, so true! PB is a sin!

Great suggestions Damien!

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    I'd mix the casein shake with water, and again, add an EFA to that meal. I don't care for PB (it's just too easy to over eat the PB), so I'd go with fish oil, or an oil source (no one is going to over eat on fish oil!)
    Thank you guys for saying this! I used to preach this all the time and got some hate from those who'd been using it as a staple for years.
    I sabotaged myself for months before I realized that what I considered 2 loosely measured tablespoons was really like 4 heaping ones and 500 calories! I use it now in my casein because I'm a chocolate-PB flavor addict and I've learned but I really should start suggesting oils.

God only knows how many times I walked to the fridge, still half-asleep, on my last cycle and crushed like half a jar with the logic, "meh, it's not carbs..."

IS it advisable to drink eggwhites raw? I have done plenty of searches on the matter but it always seems a 50/50 concensus

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siddy101 View Post
    IS it advisable to drink eggwhites raw? I have done plenty of searches on the matter but it always seems a 50/50 concensus
    Studies suggest protein absorbtion is reduced by 50% eating raw vs cooked eggs. Although the pasturization process heats egg whites for carton storage, it's not the same as being cooked. Also, there is a risk of salmonella and other pathogens in raw dairy.

Sometimes, though, I don't have enough time and will drink mine raw.

Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    Studies suggest protein absorbtion is reduced by 50% eating raw vs cooked eggs. Although the pasturization process heats egg whites for carton storage, it's not the same as being cooked. Also, there is a risk of salmonella and other pathogens in raw dairy.

Sometimes, though, I don't have enough time and will drink mine raw.
    I always just use like 1/3 more when I'm in too much of a rush to cook them.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    I always just use like 1/3 more when I'm in too much of a rush to cook them.
    Hey, it's good enough for Rocky Balboa!

Here's a study if anyone is interested...reading these makes my brain hurt:

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

After ingestion of the cooked egg protein meal, a substantial quantity of nitrogen was recovered in the ileal effluent over 24 h. The calculated yield of endogenous nitrogen (i.e., 0.40 g N) was close to the yield of 0.55 g N obtained by other researchers after ingestion of 17 g of pea protein (Gausserès et al. 1994). The calculated true ileal digestibility of cooked egg protein amounted to 91%. This finding demonstrates that even cooked egg protein, which has generally been considered to be easily digestible, is malabsorbed to some extent after ingestion of a physiologic load. Incomplete assimilation of dietary protein may have important consequences not only from a nutritional point of view, but also from a gastrointestinal point of view. Indeed, some metabolites resulting from bacterial fermentation of malabsorbed proteins in the colon have been implicated in the ethiopathogenesis of diseases such as colonic cancer and ulcerative colitis (Macfarlane and Cummings 1991, Pitcher and Cummings 1994, Visek 1978). It has already been reported extensively that food processing can influence protein digestibility both beneficially and detrimentally (Öste 1991). Egg white protein is generally considered to be less digestible than heat-pretreated egg white protein. However, no data are available concerning the magnitude of this impairment in vivo. In this study, it was shown that after ingestion of 25 g of raw egg protein, almost 50% is malabsorbed over 24 h. The higher digestibility of cooked egg protein presumably results from structural changes in the protein molecule induced by heating, thereby enabling the digestive enzymes to gain broader access to the peptide bonds. It has been suggested that the reduced digestibility of raw egg white is at least partially related to the presence of trypsin inhibitors in raw egg white (Matthews 1990). Ovomucoid is quantitatively the most important trypsin inhibitor (Gilbert 1971, Kassell 1970). Ovomucoid, however, does not react with human trypsin and, moreover, is relatively heat stable (Kasell 1970). Whether other egg trypsin inhibitors (e.g., ovoinhibitor or papain inhibitor) interfere with the digestibility of unprocessed egg white protein is unknown.

Good read. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    Hey, it's good enough for Rocky Balboa!

Here's a study if anyone is interested...reading these makes my brain hurt:

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

After ingestion of the cooked egg protein meal, a substantial quantity of nitrogen was recovered in the ileal effluent over 24 h. The calculated yield of endogenous nitrogen (i.e., 0.40 g N) was close to the yield of 0.55 g N obtained by other researchers after ingestion of 17 g of pea protein (Gausserès et al. 1994). The calculated true ileal digestibility of cooked egg protein amounted to 91%. This finding demonstrates that even cooked egg protein, which has generally been considered to be easily digestible, is malabsorbed to some extent after ingestion of a physiologic load. Incomplete assimilation of dietary protein may have important consequences not only from a nutritional point of view, but also from a gastrointestinal point of view. Indeed, some metabolites resulting from bacterial fermentation of malabsorbed proteins in the colon have been implicated in the ethiopathogenesis of diseases such as colonic cancer and ulcerative colitis (Macfarlane and Cummings 1991, Pitcher and Cummings 1994, Visek 1978). It has already been reported extensively that food processing can influence protein digestibility both beneficially and detrimentally (Öste 1991). Egg white protein is generally considered to be less digestible than heat-pretreated egg white protein. However, no data are available concerning the magnitude of this impairment in vivo. In this study, it was shown that after ingestion of 25 g of raw egg protein, almost 50% is malabsorbed over 24 h. The higher digestibility of cooked egg protein presumably results from structural changes in the protein molecule induced by heating, thereby enabling the digestive enzymes to gain broader access to the peptide bonds. It has been suggested that the reduced digestibility of raw egg white is at least partially related to the presence of trypsin inhibitors in raw egg white (Matthews 1990). Ovomucoid is quantitatively the most important trypsin inhibitor (Gilbert 1971, Kassell 1970). Ovomucoid, however, does not react with human trypsin and, moreover, is relatively heat stable (Kasell 1970). Whether other egg trypsin inhibitors (e.g., ovoinhibitor or papain inhibitor) interfere with the digestibility of unprocessed egg white protein is unknown.
    Nice post.

GoNoles99 is offline Junior Member
    Just make sure the meat is lean and the veggies are green and fibrous, not starchy/sugary.
    Can you list a few good veggies and some to avoid? Or point me in the direction of a thread that covers this?

Quote Originally Posted by GoNoles99 View Post
    Can you list a few good veggies and some to avoid? Or point me in the direction of a thread that covers this?
    Almost any green veggie is good. Asparagus, green lettuces (not iceburg), sprouts, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower (ok, it's not green but still great for you), etc. I like squashes and zucchinis as well.

This may be debatable, but i'd avoid veggies like carrots as they're high in sugar. Celery is fine but doesn't provide much nutrition. If you're hungry, it's great to fill up on as it's a negative calorie food (body uses more energy to digest celery than the celery itself provides).

If you consider tomatoes a veggie, i'd avoid them. Onions are WAY high in sugar, be careful with them.

Anything leafy and/or green is good usually

Off the top of my head, eat:

-Broccoli
    -Asparagus
    -Brussell Sprouts
    -Kale
    -Collard Greens
    -Cauliflower
    -Zuchinni/Squash
    -Artichokes
    -Eggplant
    -Celery (not much to offer nutrient-wise)
    -Spinach (One of the best, natural NO booster)
    -Broccolini (Broccoli/Asparagus hybrid)
    -Rappini (young broccoli, bitter and tasty)
    -Arugula
    -Frisee
    -Most baby lettuces
    -Radicchio
    -Green Beans
    -Wax beans
    -French beans

Avoid the following if you are watching sugar:

-Carrots
    -Parsnips (high GI starch)
    -White/Red/New Potatoes (high GI starch)
    -Corn (Good complex carb choice)
    -Beats
    -Peas
    -Plantains (medium GI starch)
    -Rutabega (medium GI starch)
    -Turnips (medium GI starch)
    -Iceberg lettuce (not terrible, just minimal nutrients - mostly water and a bit of sugar)

Sorry Gbrice - didn't see you already got him.

GoNoles99 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys.

Heh, np bro - 95% of the time we're on the same page anyway. You're just a bit more thorough! =)

Thread Information