Baseball_Player85 is offline Junior Member

Too much mercury in canned tuna -- or is there?

This is an article I just read and makes me feel a little better about my Tuna consumption and thought I'd share it with everyone.

Too much mercury in canned tuna -- or is there?
    By Jennifer Thomas
    HealthDay Reporter
    FRIDAY, Feb. 12 (HealthDay News) -- A report last week that more than half of samples of brand-name canned tuna contained more mercury than deemed safe by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) raised concern among tuna lovers everywhere.

Yet the same report found that only 5 percent of canned tuna samples contained mercury levels that exceeded the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) standards for safety, which are less stringent than the EPA's.

The question for consumers is: What gives? And is it OK to keep eating that tuna sandwich?

"We never say, 'Don't eat tuna,'" said lead study author Shawn Gerstenberger, a professor of environmental and occupational health at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. "We are saying if you are in a high-risk group and are worried about mercury exposure, there are some easy consumer choices you can make to limit exposure."

In the study, published in the February issue of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry, researchers tested more than 300 samples of canned tuna and found "white" tuna, or albacore, consistently had higher concentrations of mercury than "light" tuna.

Fish generally accumulate mercury in two ways: either by absorbing it through their skin or scales from the water itself, or by eating other organisms that contain mercury. Since albacore is a larger species that's higher up on the food chain than light tuna species, it generally contains more mercury, Gerstenberger explained.

According to the EPA and the FDA, high-risk groups, including pregnant women, nursing mothers, women who may become pregnant and young children, should limit their weekly tuna consumption to no more than 12 ounces (two meals) of light tuna a week, or up to 6 ounces of albacore.

While the federal agencies agree on their consumption guidelines, the FDA and the EPA differ on one significant issue: standards for how much mercury is safe for tuna to contain in the first place.

The FDA sets a standard of no more than 1.0 parts per million (ppm) of mercury for commercially caught fish. Most of the tuna sold in U.S. grocery stores is commercially caught and therefore subject to the FDA standards.

The EPA, meanwhile, as part of its jurisdiction over the nation's lakes and streams, regulates sport or recreational fishing. The EPA sets a more stringent standard of no more than 0.5 ppm of mercury.

So which standard should consumers pay attention to?

"The EPA has done a great deal of work in evaluating exposures," Gerstenberger said. "I'm not saying the FDA hasn't, but it's hard to make a case that who catches the fish should determine the standard. We feel we would rather err on the side of safety and look at the lower standard."

The National Fisheries Institute, however, took issue with that conclusion. Trace amounts of mercury found in some tuna don't outweigh the health benefits of eating it, said Gavin Gibbons, director of media relations for the National Fisheries Institute, a trade association that represents commercial fishermen, producers, restaurants and processors.

Much of the mercury found in the oceans where tuna is caught is naturally occurring. Prime sources are mineral deposits, underwater vents or volcanoes.

The EPA's main concern is about what's released into the nation's lakes and streams because of industrial or other human activity, and it has low tolerance for polluters, Gibbons said.

"Commercial and sport-caught fish are very distinct, and the level of mercury that's permitted is different," Gibbons said. "The FDA looks at the effect of mercury on the human body, while the EPA's standard is based on its regulatory power over utilities and the environment. They are not regulating for consumption reasons but for environmental health."

And, Gibbons added, "there has been no cases of mercury toxicity from normal consumption of commercial seafood in any peer-reviewed study. Nobody has ever gotten sick from the methyl mercury from the normal seafood you find in restaurants and supermarkets."

Furthermore, he said, the FDA guidelines have an uncertainty factor built in that limit mercury exposures to levels 10 times lower than the lowest levels associated with adverse effects.

"Canned tuna is safe," Gibbons said. "Consumers should trust that canned tuna continues to be a safe, healthy source of lean protein and omega-3 fatty acids."

While Gerstenberger concurred that much of the mercury found in the oceans is naturally occurring, human activity -- such as incinerating batteries and industry -- has contributed, he said.

Mercury content in fish is highly dependent on their environment, including where they are caught and the size of the fish. Gerstenberger said he would not reveal the brand names tested in the study because he expected those with the highest mercury levels would flip-flop throughout the year, depending on where their suppliers were fishing.

The health effects of mercury poisoning include central nervous system damage, hearing loss and vision problems. Though there are no specific mercury warnings for anyone outside of the high-risk groups, Gerstenberger recommended other adults also eat tuna in moderation -- although what that amount is may be anyone's guess.

"There are plenty of health benefits that have been documented from eating tuna and other fish," Gerstenberger said. "It's important for consumers to weigh all of that and make a decision."

The researchers called on federal regulators to require canned tuna producers to provide detailed information to consumers about the mercury content and to disclose tuna harvest locations.

More information

The FDA has more on mercury in fish.

Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Hmm i just read a site similar to that also.

I'm living on a low budget, so canned tuna is cheap and gets the job done.

Just when u also think u have your diet sorted out. Your confronted with another obstacle to deal with.
    Last edited by boz; 08-17-2010 at 09:39 PM.

boz
    Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Conga Foods regarding Solemare tuna products.

According to the test results the mercury limit is between 0.04 – 0.06 mg/kg, and as per Australian Food standards code 1.4.1 clause 2 Maximum level of metal contamination - the mean level is 0.5 mg/kg and the limit 0.04 mg/ kg is well below the mean limit.

I hope I have answered your query, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I'm eating a can a day, so I hope it's ok!

bigcwithane is offline Member
    I eat like two cans. I seem fine ha

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    I've gone up to 7 cans per day. My levels checked out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    I've gone up to 7 cans per day. My levels checked out fine.
    Forget levels, how can you hack the taste that often! lol

I'm a big fish eater I guess. Salmon, Tuna and Trout only though.

Well God Bless ya!!! If I could tolerate that much tuna in a day, meal prep would be SO much easier for me!

I actually recently started buying the premium tuna in olive oil (NOT in the soybean oil with the other added garbage, ingredients are just solid white tuna, olive oil, salt), mixing with 1/2 an avacado and wala - a very nice protein/fat meal, and it tastes great!

I wish I was a bigger fan of avocado's. It would help me reach my fat intake a bit easier. I usually just eat the Tuna raw, after I squeeze the water out.

I wish I was a bigger fan of avocado's. It would help me reach my fat intake a bit easier. I usually just eat the Tuna raw, after I squeeze the water out.
    eww, lol!!!

How about just doing the tuna in olive oil without avacado? Still a few grams of fat if you don't drain any oil, and it makes the tuna moist and better tasting IMO.

I can't eat it out of the can if it's submerged in oil. Only water lol.

boz
    How i envy u.

Baseball_Player85 is offline Junior Member
    I eat 2 cans of Tuna a day and someone mentioned to me about the mercury levels and it scared me so I did the research and found this article. But with HawaiianPride as my guinea pig (just kidding) maybe I'll up it to 3 cans a day.

boz
    Yeah baseball I'm on the same boat as u.

Main reason being also cause I have never heard sever cases of mercury damage to a person (such as kidney problems or brain damage

I cannot see why we can't continue to eat the canned tuna a daily basis.

There isn't a reason, plain and simple. I've been a avid Tuna eater since I was a child. Coming from a Polynesian back ground, we loved fish. As stated earlier my levels are fine. I would not be worried.

SuperBird is offline Associate Member
    i am a big tuna fan. i eat cans and cans for my protein. **and with plenty of mayo. hahahah.

so that was an issue to me too. so i went to the doctors medical journal. and..... i can see you read it, but you left out one important piece of the puzzle.

the amounts of mercury are high for children 6 years and younger. that is how the report was prepared for its acklowledgment of high levels dangerous to children and children only.

as an adult, you are not affected by these levels. even in the amounts a bodybuilder would shovel down. those mercury levels affect growing eyes, growing immune systems and low immune systems. but are not enough to affect developed systems.

i did sweat that, and went and read until i was satisfied.

i like to eat my tuna from a can, i pour in some soy sauce and lemon juice. mmmm. also tuna/mayo on wheat. (throw a rock, i know, but i never see the mayo adding to my stomach) and starkist makes this rockin tuna with tomato sauce and crackers... best ever when im bulking i'll eat about six cans a day. its surprisingly funny that most body builders dont even know that a can of tuna has 45 grams of protein.
    Last edited by SuperBird; 08-19-2010 at 09:21 AM.

SuperBird is offline Associate Member
    in a simpler statement straight from the FDA.gov site.....
    http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/p.../ucm115662.htm

nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. For most people, the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Yet, some fish and shellfish contain higher levels of mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system.

i remembered reading this, so i went back and copied it from the FDA.gov site in hopes that it gives you better insight as to how much tuna you can eat straight from the government website and not from what i claim to read. for me personally it tells me that i can eat all that i want.
    Last edited by SuperBird; 08-20-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    shit hope im gonna be ok i love it lol, and my dad 57 has eaten 1-2 cans a day since he was twelve its like something he lives by. He is in pretty good health even though all he does is work 14 hours a day at a desk/car job lol.

Thread Information