SomeRandomGuy is offline Associate Member

Diet Questions...

Noone wanted to touch my last post with a ten foot pole, but here are some more questions in case anyone wants to:

Does ~3,000 cals/day sound reasonable for a 5'10", 243lb male for fat loss without muscle loss? +/-?

If I'm eating 500 calorie meals 6 times a day, but I end up not having enough time to eat 6, should I double up the calories on a meal, or just eat 5? Which is more important; the throughput of calories at any given time or the total intake/day?

ephedra 30mg/day, 30 min of cardio/day: bpm 140-145, weights 4-5x/wk: 8-12 sets.

I am thinking of possibly running a Test E only cutter cycle. I'd run Tren , but I don't want to risk it. Anyone who knows anything about doing this, I'd like to hear from as well.

I'm already strong as hell, I want to cut and then get some clean size. Noone cares how much you can lift if you look sloppy as hell.

Ajaxx is offline New Member
    well ~ 3000 cals a day could be a good diet or a terrible diet lol, could u post up your macros ( grams of protein, carbs, fat intake) then I'm sure someone could help you. this is the diet section so leave the roids to the appropriate section. I also suggest you watch Milos Sarcev's vids on the sticky's. Its under the "So you want to learn how to diet?" one.

I need to start a log and actually count the calories and grams of everything so I can get exact Macronutrient ratios...

Suffice it to say I eat two Protein/Carb/very little fat meals for Breakfast, and post workout.

Then I try to eat Protein/Fat with none or very little 5-15g of Carbs.

At the end of the day I'd say it's probably 300g 1200 cal Protein, 150g 600 cal Carbs & 130g 1170 cal Fat.
    Maybe it's a bit different, but most meals I eat 50g Protein minimum which would equal 300g+.

Trying to do 6 500 cal meals for a total of 3000 cals.

I've done this before and I know it works. With ephedra I cut about 20 pounds in a month and a half - 2 months. Maybe more. I also do 30 min of cardio a day, try to get it in every day.

I'll look at what you asked me to look at. Just wondering if I can optimize my diet somehow. I'm getting a Fat Caliper so I can check the progress.

Strangest thing, they say that a normal person only needs 2,000-2,500 cals per day. I did squats and 30 min of cardio today, and I'm hungry as hell. Starving! 3,000 cals sucks, if I ate what I wanted, I'd eat 10,000 a day! Gotta bump the fat up or something. Unfortunately it counts for 9 cals/gram and restricts my protein to fat ratio.
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 09-04-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    3000 is too much food for you no matter how clean you are eating, unless it is all veggies. I am willing to bet that you need to cut at least 30-40 pounds of fat off you. As for the ephedra, meth works great too! But try and stick with a healthy way of losing weight, that way you can keep it off.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    It would be really really helpful to know your body fat, to answer your question about how many cals you should be taking in.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    It would be really really helpful to know your body fat, to answer your question about how many cals you should be taking in.
    Agreed. Answering your question would be a guess at best. You need to work out your TDEE. Use the info below to do so, then you'll have a very good idea of where you need to be in terms of calories to reach your goals.

BMR/TDEE formula:

Let’s start with BMR. This is your Basal Metabolic Rate. AKA – how many calories you burn each day by just sitting on your ass. In order to figure out your BMR, you need to know what your lean body mass is. In turn, you need to know what your body fat percentage is.

If you don’t know your body fat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please don’t use electronic scales to get your bf % checked, they're horrible). If you don’t have a gym that offers this service; ask me and I’ll give you a pretty good estimate.

With your bf % in hand, here’s the formula:

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Total weight x bf % in decimal form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

For example:

I am 6'1 210 lbs at 10% body fat... so I would multiply 210 by .10 (converted from percent to decimal) = 21 lbs
    210 – 21 = 189 lbs lean body weight

189 / 2.2 = 86.0 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 86) = 2227.6 BMR (this is high for the average person)

Now that we have a BMR figure, we can move on to TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories we actually use during the day via our BMR and activities such as work, exercise and various tasks. We can figure this number out with simple math but be honest because this figure is to be the cornerstone of your diet and healthy lifestyle. We need to determine your activity level. We’ll choose from a few levels:

§ If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): Calorie - Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    § If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    § If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    § If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    § If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

For example:

I train with weights 5 days for 90 minutes per week. I play hockey three times per week
    for 90 minutes. I do 60 minutes of cardio training 5 times per week as well. I also practice my sport 3 times per week for 90 minutes. Either via skating or puck/shooting drills. All are high-intensity. I am between very and extra active. Let’s say BMR x 1.8. My TDEE is 4010.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I need to start a log and actually count the calories and grams of everything so I can get exact Macronutrient ratios...

Suffice it to say I eat two Protein/Carb/very little fat meals for Breakfast, and post workout.

Then I try to eat Protein/Fat with none or very little 5-15g of Carbs.

At the end of the day I'd say it's probably 300g 1200 cal Protein, 150g 600 cal Carbs & 130g 1170 cal Fat.
    Maybe it's a bit different, but most meals I eat 50g Protein minimum which would equal 300g+.

Trying to do 6 500 cal meals for a total of 3000 cals.

I've done this before and I know it works. With ephedra I cut about 20 pounds in a month and a half - 2 months. Maybe more. I also do 30 min of cardio a day, try to get it in every day.

I'll look at what you asked me to look at. Just wondering if I can optimize my diet somehow. I'm getting a Fat Caliper so I can check the progress.

Strangest thing, they say that a normal person only needs 2,000-2,500 cals per day. I did squats and 30 min of cardio today, and I'm hungry as hell. Starving! 3,000 cals sucks, if I ate what I wanted, I'd eat 10,000 a day! Gotta bump the fat up or something. Unfortunately it counts for 9 cals/gram and restricts my protein to fat ratio.
    I would fix the bold and bump up your cardio to 45x7 to start with.

Wow. I got 3000 cals from my BMR/TDEE. It was in my other post.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I put in my age, height and weight, and got my BMR (2258.09), then multiplied by a factor of 1.55 for moderate exercise 3-5 days/wk. (=3500.0359) I'm cutting 15% to lose fat (3500-525=2975). That's how I came up with 3000 cals. I really should bump it to 1.75 because I'll be putting in a lot more cardio and workouts than that.

Yes, I'll get at least 30-45min cardio 7x/wk. That'd be up from 0 days/wk the last month or so .

I'll make a log and get my exact macronutrient total/day.

What's wrong with Ephedra for fat loss? Lots of people use Clen /T3/Ketotifen on here. I personally hate Clen, so I use Ephedra. It still has a similar effect on the beta 2 receptors, just less nasty sides.

Today I had a cup of oatmeal and two scoops of protein for breakfast.

I'm getting a fat caliper, so I'll get an estimate as to what exactly my adipose tissue looks like.

If you think 3000 cals is too much, how much would you recommend? I'm hungry as hell even at 3000... I must be used to eating too much.

Oatmeal = 300 cals, 10g P, 54g C, 6g F
    Muscle Milk Whey = 280 cals, 54g P, 6g C, 4g F
    Total = 580 cals, 64g P, 60g C, 10g F
    Approx 47%, 44%, 7% (ok so we're missing 2%).

It's tough to find foods that only have 1-2 Macronutrients in them. Like Peanut Butter has Protein and Fat, but it also has a bit of Carbs in it.

Other than lean meats... Which I'll be eating for most of the meals after the workout. Turkey, Tuna, Steak, etc...

I'd also like to add that I dieted before my last cycle to 220lbs, and the only reason I pigged out lately is because I didn't want to short nutrients while my natural test was recovering. Now that I'm 2 mo+ after the cycle, I'm trying to diet for the next one.

G.P. is offline Junior Member
    I noticed you add pro powder to your breakfast. I don't know what the rest of your meals look like but one thing that helps me to not feel so hungry is using more whole foods & as little pro powder as possible. I usually just use it pwo & bedtime now. If you throw in 5-6 egg whites incl 1-2 yolks with your oats you should feel less hungry.
    Last edited by G.P.; 09-04-2010 at 03:39 PM.

40 Min Cardio, then...

Meal 2 Today:

Gaspari SizeOn - 125 cal, 31 C
    Orange Juice - 110 cal, 26 C
    2 Scoops Muscle Milk Whey - 280 cals, 54g P, 6g C, 4g F
    Total = 515 cal, 54g P, 57g C, 4g F

I eat eggs and meat all the time too. I'll try eggs for breakfast then. Thx. Do you eat those eggs raw in the oatmeal? Can you cook them up?

I don't think I've ever once done cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I hate that. Maybe I'll learn to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    This is hilarious, btw. Great powers of observation. There is no try, right? Is that you in your Avatar? You must know what you're talking about. . I'll use less wishy washy vernacular in the future.

G.P. is offline Junior Member
    I don't eat raw eggs anymore. I cook up an omelette to have with my oats.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    This is hilarious, btw. Great powers of observation. There is no try, right? Is that you in your Avatar? You must know what you're talking about. . I'll use less wishy washy vernacular in the future.
    I wasnt trying to put you down at all and glad you didnt take it that way. It just seemed "lack of commitment" my be an issue after reading your post. Yes, the Avy pic is me and very recent.

I wasnt trying to put you down at all and glad you didnt take it that way. It just seemed "lack of commitment" my be an issue after reading your post. Yes, the Avy pic is me and very recent.
    Wow, is that 6% BF or something? I've never been that lean. The best I was down to was 12%, and that's when I was in HS Sports, running 4 miles every other day. I could see my first 4 abs, and that's the best I've ever done. 204 lbs. I could still bench over 400 though. Now I don't really care what I can lift, I just want to be lean, but have some muscle size/def. I know if I was at 200 again I'd be even more lean than 12%, since I have way bigger legs now. I can rep 450 squats/deadlifts no problem. I'd probably only get 6-7 reps. I usually just do 315-330 for 10-12's though. Well, not the deadlifts, I don't want injuries. Why is this forum inappropriate to ask about cycles? My diet has something to do with it. But out of respect, I won't ask.

Guessing mid to low 6%.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    LoL this was a great observation, and it definitely didn't come off like you were putting the OP down. It came off more as dry sarcastic humor, but not in a demeaning way. You did point out something that I think the OP needed to realize, so good call!

I just read the thread comparing Low Carb Diets to Keto (No Carb Diets).

It's intriguing. I want to do it. 2-3 lbs/wk? Most people don't get past the Glycogen/Ketone conversion period?

I didn't want to add to the lengthy thread with my ignorance, but if getting into Ketosis is so difficult and it's said that you refeed a Carb-Up once a week for 12 hours, isn't it going to take more days after that refeed where you feel like crap because you got knocked out of Ketosis before you convert to Ketones again?

Wow, for a laugh to show you how much of a noob to dieting I am; I just ate 5 eggs with some salsa. Whole egg, 90 cals. That's only 450 cals. Oops, 210mg Cholesterol per = 350% of my daily RDA. Great. Maybe I won't do that anymore.

Thread Information