DBolNoob is offline Banned

Protein/Carb shakes Questions ..

Hey guys and gals,

just wanting some input with the use of Protein&Carb shakes with meals to boost intake of essential protein and complex carbs when bulking.

my current diet is planned out to have 5 of these shakes a day, which ALONE will give me more then enough carbs and protein i need to grow with a good routine.

each of my shakes i take contain:

Protein = 74.1
    Carb = 74.3

i know that your body can only intake a certain amount of protein and the rest is just wasted as it wont do anything, But its easier for me to have shakes with this amount of protein

im just wondering if i can drop some of the Foods (past/brown rice) and will still gain properly with these additional shakes?

i know many people think its better to get the protein and carbs you need from foods more then shakes as the other nutritional content, BUT shakes come with most of the stuff you get in food anyway?

Basically im wondering if anyone has been able to gain good weight with say 2-3 meals a day of just protein&Carb shakes instead of food meals? (3 meals out of 6 are shakes, other 3 are high carb/protein)

thanks, and after reading it back im a little confused so if you dont understand i will try to ask it differently lol
    Last edited by DBolNoob; 01-09-2011 at 06:54 AM.

bump

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    First thing you need to do is cut those shake servings in half. Also, how many grams of fat are in the shake and how many of those 74 grams of carbs are "sugar"? (should say on the label)

The, "How many shakes are too many shakes" question has been around forever. I dont think it really an issue of having too many shakes as it is to having too little real food. 2-3 real food meals is not enough even if you are rounding out your diet with shakes. I would say a minimum of 4 real food meals with 5-6 being even better. Now if your diet calls for 7-8 meals per day I dont feel there is anything wrong with adding in 2-3 shakes in that instance as you are still getting enough whole food meals.

cheers for the advice, and its almost 99% proper carbs

and hardly any fat, nothing more then what you would get in a normal meal anway.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    adding fine cut oats to a protein shake is the best way of obtaining clean drinkable carbs. its a stodgy texture at first but you get used to it. theres also a reasonable amount of protein in oats to boot
    Last edited by dec11; 01-09-2011 at 01:18 PM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I'm with fireguy 100%. Nothing wrong with shakes so long as the priority is real food - and in your case it doesn't sound like it is.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    If your going to do a MRP shake for a meal make it yourself, dont buy branded crap

Ground Oats
    Whey
    Casein
    Eggs
    Peanut Butter
    Flavorless Olive Oil
    Milk (If your diet alows it)
    Bannanas
    Strawberrys
    Raspberrys
    Honey, natural yoghurt (Agin if your diet alows)

These are all good choices and will be much more nutritious and better tasting than the packet or tubed stuff

Pluss you can put exactly what u want into it

Be creative, enjoy yourself

And you will save a load of money

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I eat shakes PWO or as a last resourt

5 a day is overkill

Cut it down to 2 real shakes and replace the other meals with real food

yungone501 is offline Senior Member
    There is absolutely NoTHiNG wrong with whole food shakes!!!

I have always incorporated 2-3 whole food shakes per day out of 8 meals. I see it as just a big plate of food all thrown together in a drinkable fashion. And honestly, i have made my best looking gains after adding and adopting this startegy.

Alot of people here talk down and frown upon the use of shakes but if you simply cannot get enough whole meals per day to work, etc...you're just cutting yourself short.

I constantly strive (and i mean strive!) to consume my 8 meals per day and doing this makes it easy and the quality gains just keep coming. Alot of these peoplr parrot the "eat a steak not a shake" mentality and most havent even tried it correctly.

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yungone501 View Post
    There is absolutely NoTHiNG wrong with whole food shakes!!!

I have always incorporated 2-3 whole food shakes per day out of 8 meals. I see it as just a big plate of food all thrown together in a drinkable fashion. And honestly, i have made my best looking gains after adding and adopting this startegy.

Alot of people here talk down and frown upon the use of shakes but if you simply cannot get enough whole meals per day to work, etc...you're just cutting yourself short.

I constantly strive (and i mean strive!) to consume my 8 meals per day and doing this makes it easy and the quality gains just keep coming. Alot of these peoplr parrot the "eat a steak not a shake" mentality and most havent even tried it correctly.
    Agreed. If the alternative is not eating enough, then go for the shake.

Thread Information