Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja

Bert has Self-Control Issues!!

Ok, I need help.... I am bulking right now and I am keeping my diet pretty clean, but I am failing miserably at night.... after about 8pm, I just want to eat bad food.... Pizza, Nachos, Doritos, Wendy's, McDonalds..... anything bad and the worst part is, I am giving in.

Ever since I was hardcore cutting last spring/summer for 6 straight months, then ran a cycle.... I haven't been able to control myself.... its been about 3 months. What should I do??

I keep making excuses like; I was on such a strict diet for sooooo long that now I deserve to eat what I want.... I have gained back a lot of the fat I lost in my cut, but I am also gaining some good muscle and amazing strength.

Is it safe to keep doing what I am doing? I mean, I am clean all day and just dive about 4 nights a week. I know I can lock it down, but I keep talking myself into bulking like this till March then cut April, May and June.

This is my first bulk as I use to be pretty fat and had to cut way down from 255 to 187.... currently 212 to 214.

Note: After running my cycle and PCT I settled at about 202lbs.... so I've put on about 8 to 10lbs of fat since then.... all this dirty dirty food

Advice....... Please!?!?

Edit: The picture in my avy was taken about 3 to 4 weeks ago, I look very similar still... so I'm not too fat.... yet

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    this is a focus question. I've never really had any issues with diet ONCE I MAKE UP MY MIND!! Sometimes, an "event" is all i need to respark the focus. Take a knife, and while you are cutting your hand, say to yourself, I will stay focused and not cheat on my diet.

And before all you mates slam me, think about this.... if ol' bert here has the balls to cut himself, then after he WILL have the balls to stay strict.

Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    this is a focus question. I've never really had any issues with diet ONCE I MAKE UP MY MIND!! Sometimes, an "event" is all i need to respark the focus. Take a knife, and while you are cutting your hand, say to yourself, I will stay focused and not cheat on my diet.

And before all you mates slam me, think about this.... if ol' bert here has the balls to cut himself, then after he WILL have the balls to stay strict.

Think about it
    I have the guts to cut myself.... just don't see the point.... I like the way you think though

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Every time you are thinking of cheatinig remember you are just the same as everyone else then

Just the same as the normal people

What seperates someone who will achieve great things is the will power to stick to a plan

Do u wanna b like everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    I have the guts to cut myself.... just don't see the point.... I like the way you think though
    the point is that it is an event associated with pain. You will remember that pain, and you will remember why you chose to experience that pain.

then the next time you begin to stray from your diet, your body will do a funny thing. It will remember that pain, and will help you avoid the temptation.

you don't need a knife, a thumb tack will work too. steralize it first, and while you are saying out loud (you can even write it down several times) about your diet and how you will not lose focus, shove the thumb tack into your palm. This is like a positive affirmation on steriods !

It is a valid training technique. it can also be used in other ways, and in fact is how we learn.... why do you not touch fire anymore? You did at least once when you were growing up. You experienced the pain and learned from it.

It will work for this too. and You can punish yourself with the thumbtack if you actually do lose focus and eat incorrectly.

Laugh all you want, mate. You wanted to know how, and this works.
    Last edited by Times Roman; 01-21-2011 at 05:10 AM.

not afraid of a little pain, are ya mate? =)

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Bert, you already know the answer to this bro! You know it's not cool, especially 4 days a week, ESPECIALLY at night! Everything about it is wrong. Look, I am far from perfect and having these problems myself lately (not fast food and pizza though, wtf!!) - just eating alot more then I should be, craving food in general. So I feel you 100% on this, and as you know I also was on a strict cut.

Plan a big cheat meal, have whatever you want - shit, have pizza with Wendy's burger and fries on top of it - eat yourself sick. But don't cave in 4 nights a week, it will catch up with you, and it sounds like it has already started to.

Let's get focused together Bert!

not afraid of a little pain, are ya mate? =)
    I might like pain too much.... might turn me on to food even more *joke* I 100% understand what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Bert, you already know the answer to this bro! You know it's not cool, especially 4 days a week, ESPECIALLY at night! Everything about it is wrong. Look, I am far from perfect and having these problems myself lately (not fast food and pizza though, wtf!!) - just eating alot more then I should be, craving food in general. So I feel you 100% on this, and as you know I also was on a strict cut.

Plan a big cheat meal, have whatever you want - shit, have pizza with Wendy's burger and fries on top of it - eat yourself sick. But don't cave in 4 nights a week, it will catch up with you, and it sounds like it has already started to.

I know, its the worst time of day to be doing it.... I'm terrible.... I've been able to control myself so well for so long.... now these last few months its like I just snapped. I know you can understand, because I know you struggle with temptation.... any tips or techniques (other than stabbing myself ) that you've used? When I was first cutting, it was soooo easy, like TR said in his first post.... I just made up my mind, and that was it.... I never looked back.

charcold is offline Associate Member
    Lol, I cant help really. But I think of pet owners, they feed there dogs the same shit for 10 years, most owners wont switch it up much cause it can give the petsthe shits. And they dont complain

Weve just been brought up with hundreds of options of crap to eat, and its tastes better to most people anyway, so its hard to stray into a completely "clean" diet after years of crap. I do think Keto can absorb a lot of the blow of a weekly cheat

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    I know how you feel Bert...I was the same way for a few years after competing. Now...I let myself cheat a wee bit once a week to hold me off till I can have a good cheat meal.

I don't know what to say to get you out of it...all the suggestions are great..and its how lots can get out of a rut...but no matter how many times I heard those same lines; it was tough for me to do it!!!

Took that one time for me to just stop...no desire...nuttin!

Hopefully it kicks in for you!

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

Im in also!!!

For God's sake I work in a hotel 40-65 hours a weeks in food and beverage. I can have anything I want within minutes! I can literally walk 30 sec and have as many cookies, candy bars, brownies, cakes, pies as I want!!

B U T I DONT!!

and yes, sometimes its really hard, especially when its for free.....

a lot of guys here say nay to the cheat meal, but if it stops you from going insane, have an entire cheat day! we all want to achieve our goals at all costs, but when the mind says thats it, then dont argue!!

jmo....

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    If you are getting muscle gains from this cheating and you are hungry all the time then your calories are too low and you need to increase them. Up cals in healthy foods. Before any cheat meal make a plan to eat a whole healthy meal first. By the time you are done making and eating your healthy food you won't wanna go out to mcdonalds

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Sorry Bert but I'm not gonna sit here and try to assuage you and tell you it's OK because you're bulking. The fact is, I had similar self-control issues when coming off a long cut about 18 months ago and was giving in to cravings several times per week. That said, I NEVER ate Pizza, McDonald's, and such - I have a job, a social life, a perfect body in mind and all of those things are hindered when you're walking around bloated and gassy with a headache from all the nitrates and fillers in the food. Not to mention, your cravings are at night time and you're eating meals based around simple carbs, so you can't even make the case that, "at least I'll see nice gains". In fact, just having a protein shake and popping a sleeping pill would probably yield better gains - there's no quality nutrients in milkshakes and pizza....

Now, you may be wondering, if I was giving into cravings but not eating dirty food, what was I doing? Planning. I'd smoke a fat J with some friends after work, have the munchies like crazy but instead of going to McDonald's I'd take 5 minutes and make up a quick grocery list. I'd run to the store and get some whole wheat buns, lean ground, and sharp chedder (sharp so a little would go a long way) and make myself a couple big juicy burgers - controlling the sodium and fat content and ensuring the carb choices were at least semi-appropriate. Some nights I'd want Pasta, so I'd grill a chicken breast and throw it on some whole wheat penne with tomato sauce - I'd even make some garlic bread with Ezekiel and parmesan cheese. If a sweet tooth was the issue - unsweetened dark chocalate melted with stevia/splenda and then mixed up with protein powder, oats, natty PB - fvcking delicious man. You can even make ice cream with cottage cheese, splenda, and a food processor. If it sounds like a lot of work - recognize these recipes take the same 20 minutes as it does to drive to a fast food shithole and back. Hell, ordering a pizza takes forever and it's not cheap after the tip, delivery charge, etc for not even good food.

If you want it bad enough, you won't cheat. If you want it badly but are no longer in a desperate state, just looking to put on muscle - that's where u seem to be and where I was then... don't throw away your hard work, just implement some planning and make better choices... I assure you, you won't gain much fat eating clean even if the cals are high (within reason). Fast food and pizza is indicitive of someone who just doesn't care anymore.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Great advice ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post
    I know how you feel Bert...I was the same way for a few years after competing. Now...I let myself cheat a wee bit once a week to hold me off till I can have a good cheat meal.

I don't know what to say to get you out of it...all the suggestions are great..and its how lots can get out of a rut...but no matter how many times I heard those same lines; it was tough for me to do it!!!

Took that one time for me to just stop...no desire...nuttin!

Hopefully it kicks in for you!
    Thanks for the support

Quote Originally Posted by POPS View Post
    Im in also!!!

For God's sake I work in a hotel 40-65 hours a weeks in food and beverage. I can have anything I want within minutes! I can literally walk 30 sec and have as many cookies, candy bars, brownies, cakes, pies as I want!!

B U T I DONT!!

and yes, sometimes its really hard, especially when its for free.....

a lot of guys here say nay to the cheat meal, but if it stops you from going insane, have an entire cheat day! we all want to achieve our goals at all costs, but when the mind says thats it, then dont argue!!

jmo....
    Wow.... thats tough and like I said, there was a time I could and would resist all food temptations

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    If you are getting muscle gains from this cheating and you are hungry all the time then your calories are too low and you need to increase them. Up cals in healthy foods. Before any cheat meal make a plan to eat a whole healthy meal first. By the time you are done making and eating your healthy food you won't wanna go out to mcdonalds
    ^^ Great advice, thanks you.... I am really gonna try what you've suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Sorry Bert but I'm not gonna sit here and try to assuage you and tell you it's OK because you're bulking. The fact is, I had similar self-control issues when coming off a long cut about 18 months ago and was giving in to cravings several times per week. That said, I NEVER ate Pizza, McDonald's, and such - I have a job, a social life, a perfect body in mind and all of those things are hindered when you're walking around bloated and gassy with a headache from all the nitrates and fillers in the food. Not to mention, your cravings are at night time and you're eating meals based around simple carbs, so you can't even make the case that, "at least I'll see nice gains". In fact, just having a protein shake and popping a sleeping pill would probably yield better gains - there's no quality nutrients in milkshakes and pizza....

Now, you may be wondering, if I was giving into cravings but not eating dirty food, what was I doing? Planning. I'd smoke a fat J with some friends after work, have the munchies like crazy but instead of going to McDonald's I'd take 5 minutes and make up a quick grocery list. I'd run to the store and get some whole wheat buns, lean ground, and sharp chedder (sharp so a little would go a long way) and make myself a couple big juicy burgers - controlling the sodium and fat content and ensuring the carb choices were at least semi-appropriate. Some nights I'd want Pasta, so I'd grill a chicken breast and throw it on some whole wheat penne with tomato sauce - I'd even make some garlic bread with Ezekiel and parmesan cheese. If a sweet tooth was the issue - unsweetened dark chocalate melted with stevia/splenda and then mixed up with protein powder, oats, natty PB - fvcking delicious man. You can even make ice cream with cottage cheese, splenda, and a food processor. If it sounds like a lot of work - recognize these recipes take the same 20 minutes as it does to drive to a fast food shithole and back. Hell, ordering a pizza takes forever and it's not cheap after the tip, delivery charge, etc for not even good food.

If you want it bad enough, you won't cheat. If you want it badly but are no longer in a desperate state, just looking to put on muscle - that's where u seem to be and where I was then... don't throw away your hard work, just implement some planning and make better choices... I assure you, you won't gain much fat eating clean even if the cals are high (within reason). Fast food and pizza is indicitive of someone who just doesn't care anymore.
    I glad we can relate and you're 100% right, I just need to kick outta this rut and move forward, part of me also says it would be soooo much easier if it weren't cold and 10 feet of snow on the ground

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I glad we can relate and you're 100% right, I just need to kick outta this rut and move forward, part of me also says it would be soooo much easier if it weren't cold and 10 feet of snow on the ground
    That's true man. I think weather is the reason we "need" comfort food. Look at how the winter holidays circulate around it. Come to think of it, I never have any urge to eat badly when out and about on a sunny, warm day. Here's a cold weather tip: 8 oz. of cold coffee with a scoop of chocolate isolate - warm it up once it's homogenized and top with the synthetic whipped cream stuff (low-cal sugar free cool whip that's like 15 cals per serving I think). Really good!

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    This is exactly what came to my mind when I read your post. If you are getting such bad cravings late in the day, to me it indicates that you are not eating enough, especially if you are trying to bulk. I used to have the same problem you are having. I fixed it by throwing in one or two more clean meals during the day. It completely eradicated my late night hunger pangs. It worked so well that I was actually struggling to get down my prebed meal rather than eating uncontrollably.
    The only other thing I would add is that if for some reason eating more clean cals doesn't seem to help (and you have reached your nutritional/caloric goals for the day), look at your fiber intake. Eating a bunch of raw veggies with a lot of lettuce can really make one feel full. Such foods are extremely beneficial during a bulk, because they help to clean out the digestive tract, removing mucus and other build up which may hinder absorption of nutrients.

jngymrat is offline Associate Member
    GB and Twist' advice was excellent. One thing I do for my people since 2001, was let them have a cheat meal (although for me I don't believe in it per se) and if you have or want an indulgence, take it! and then get back on track and try not to form a habit with it. Anyway, take the cheat meal, whatever you want and first thing in the morning or within a few hours of that do 15-20 minutes of good cardio, perhaps some HIIT. This always seems to put things into perspective, myself included, I learned that my body could not function the way I wanted it too. And you WILL realize quickly that the crud your eating costs you more than just getting what you wanted.

Garbage in garbage on! Not to mention the horrible health issues! Yuck!

are you going to listen to all this intellectual crap backed by scientific data? Naaaaw... go ahead man, grab that thumbtack and bury it into your flesh!

are you going to listen to all this intellectual crap backed by scientific data? Naaaaw... go ahead man, grab that thumbtack and bury it into your flesh!
    Nah... I'm with you.... gonna do it right now!!! Might even stab myself with a 2 inch blade.... right in the kidney

Nah... I'm with you.... gonna do it right now!!! Might even stab myself with a 2 inch blade.... right in the kidney
    that's the spirit mate! Forget all the intellectual mumbo jumbo.... that's all sissy stuff

Thread Information