nelly is offline Junior Member

post workout meal?

I am trying to gain lean muscle, therefore here is my question. Is it necessary to eat brown rice,pasta or sweet potatoes post workout or will veggies do the trick? reason for asking is this I train pretty late so by the time I have my protein shake and then a real post workout meal its almost bedtime. thanks

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    I take Isolate protein, 2 scoop, total 72 gr, (I don't think by bed time will be good a lot of food) but wait, the pros will come along with more info. be patient.

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    I'd get some carbs. Even if it means liquid ones taken immediately after your workout.

jngymrat is offline Associate Member
    You always want to have protein with an equal amount of carbs. Casein is a good choice just prior to bed because it has a longer lasting enzyme bound to protein synthesis, thus lasting longer while you sleep, this could be in the form of a shake or some cottage cheese (low fat) it is always important to get some carbs with your meals. Brown rice, sweet potato, beans, legumes, all do the trick. You want to include good source veggies for at least three of your six whole food meals, they provide little or no real carbohydrate value but are an important source of fiber (especially the green leafy kind) and will give you a more fuller feel.

I would tend to stay away from pasta unless it is whole grain whole wheat, ( never if it just says wheat on the label) especially if your cutting. Make sure that you get your essential fats in there as well, since we don't have your stats(age, weight, height, etc) it would be hard to give you an approximate guess as to how much. But to answer your original question in tighter detail, NO, just veggies will not do the trick for your carbohydrates, you will need a better more stable longer lasting form.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    if you are getting enough carbs during the day you will be okay with lower carb higher protein meal PWO..

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nelly View Post
    I am trying to gain lean muscle, therefore here is my question. Is it necessary to eat brown rice,pasta or sweet potatoes post workout or will veggies do the trick? reason for asking is this I train pretty late so by the time I have my protein shake and then a real post workout meal its almost bedtime. thanks
    great question that I ask myself this all the time. I have my shake with carbs ( grinded up oats ) on my weight training days and whey solo on cardio days. My last big carb meal is 2-3 hours before training consisting of either sweet potatoes or brown rice. Then for dinner I usually have 2-3 cups of green veggies or a salad, then cottage cheese before bed.

I would drop the ww pasta for sure but wait for Gbrice to chime in, he's the guru......

nelly is offline Junior Member
    Ok here is what I meant. I train from around 5:30 to a little after 6:30, so I take my protein shake with creatine and amino acids on the ride home. By the time I get home and eat a solid meal is about 7:30 maybe 15-20 afterwards. My question is because I get up for work @3:30 in the morning, so I go to bed at around 8:30. This is why I asked about rice or potatoes for my pwo meal. Its pretty close to bedtime(sound like a kid lol). Is that to heavy to go to bed? I don't want to get fat. Sometimes I take casein shakes around 9pm. Are all these feeding times to close together? Thanks.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Here's what I'd do:
    Have a scoop or two of whey isolate (depending on your daily protein needs) and 1/2 cup of oats or other complex carb directly PWO to optimize protein synthesis/recovery. Around 7:30 or basically right when you get home, have a pro/fat meal with no carbs - something like 1 cup green veggies, 6 oz. lean protein, 1 tablespoon olive oil (p/c/f/cals - 40/4/16/300). Then, right at bed time another small pro/fat meal centered around a slow-digesting protein like casein, cottage cheese, or lean steak.

Thread Information