new74 is offline New Member

Cool Help with a idea?

I am looking a losing weight.. trying the food combining diet.

basically it consists of eating meat and carbs separate from each other for better nutrition.

opinions or concerns?

new guy

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I did this once and am curious as to what the diet experts think since I too was thinking of trying it again....

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Why would you do that? I wouldn't necessarily say it is bad, but there is no point in doing that. Any insulin spike you might get from carbs could be reduced by eating other foods with it. If you eat carbs alone then you won't get the benefit from this.

here is a lil about it

'Food combining' refers to the combination of foods which are compatible with each other in terms of digestive chemistry. Food combining is a basic component of optimal nutrition because it allows the body to digest and utilize the nutrients in our foods to their full extent. The discomforts of indigestion are so common in today’s society that indigestion is almost considered normal. The fact that over 2 billion dollars are spent each year on antacids is proof of this. Rather than using drugs to suppress symptoms, wouldn’t it be wiser to remove the causes of indigestion?

Correct food combinations are important for proper digestion, utilization, and assimulation of the nutrients in our diet. The principles of food combining are dictated by digestive chemistry. Different foods require different digestive enzymes to aid in the digestive process - some acid, some alkaline. As any student of chemistry will assure you, acids and bases (alkalis) neutralize each other. When acids and alkalines come in contact, they neutralize each other and this retards digestion.

Protein foods require a highly acidic environment for digestion while carbohydrates (starches, fruit and sugars) and fats require a more alkaline medium. Anytime 2 or more foods are eaten at the same time, and those foods require opposite conditions for digestion, the digestive process is compromised.

When starches and proteins are combined their stimulation to the digestive juices generates a conflicting response and produces a medium which does not digest either food very well. This situation often leads to indigestion, bloating, gas, abdominal discomfort, and poor absorption of nutrients. Any quick digesting foods - such as fruit - must wait until the slowest digesting foods leave the stomach before they can leave - a process which can take up to 6 or 8 hours. While waiting, the fruit and some of the starches undergo some decomposition and fermentation, producing gas, acid and even alcohol along with indigestion.

any way it seems to make sense an I tried it some an didnt notice much difference UNTIL I ate like before an I felt gassy and miserable. Just wondering what others thought

Quote Originally Posted by new74 View Post
    When starches and proteins are combined their stimulation to the digestive juices generates a conflicting response and produces a medium which does not digest either food very well. This situation often leads to indigestion, bloating, gas, abdominal discomfort, and poor absorption of nutrients. Any quick digesting foods - such as fruit - must wait until the slowest digesting foods leave the stomach before they can leave - a process which can take up to 6 or 8 hours. While waiting, the fruit and some of the starches undergo some decomposition and fermentation, producing gas, acid and even alcohol along with indigestion.
    The above sums up my stomach problems but add throwing up in there too...

I have been thinking about the above a lot lately (last couple months) and I am now very interested in this theory. I will do some research later about this and come back to it. But one really big problem is that a 6 meal a day program just split up into 12 meals per day... Impossible to do for me. There are other issues with this but let me do some more research on it because I think there are ways around it.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    My thoughts are this, in order for us to give you an opinion we would be better served knowing where you are currently and what your experience is. What I mean specifically is have you proven to show yourself disciplined to any degree thusfar in any long term body composition transformation. My idea would be similar if someone wanted to begin advanced training techniques and have never lifted a weight before. I honestly have no idea if this is something advanced or recommended for beginners or just for certain people that normal diets don't work for. If it is something to dial in after everything else has stopped working then why would you be doing it now, if it is a re-invention of the wheel I don't see that as necessary, again, I am of the opinion that without knowing your particulars (ie...ht/wt/bf%/age/level of fitness/exercise experience/personal fitness goals, etc...) how could we possibly give you an opinion?

Best of luck on whatever you choose, however posting the above information would help us all in the future and keeping a log here makes you accountable to yourself and others.

I hear what you are saying and appreciate it

ht 5'6
    wt 195
    bf 30
    lil to no exp but i grapple for work out

goal is to have ave fitness an be able to do a few pull ups an have better endurance

thanks again

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    this being said I would give you this advice: The best diet is one you will STICK with! From un-fit to mildly fit does not require drastic measures, just consistent ones! Find a simple diet that doesn't require an incredible amount of preperation or effort to follow, give up bad eating habits, whether that's giving up cokes or eating ice cream before bed. Drink 120 oz of water a day and add some additional fitness to your current training, I of course would recommend a weight lifting program. Muscle burns fat and will give you a look you like and the strength to do those pull-ups.

jngymrat is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Why would you do that? I wouldn't necessarily say it is bad, but there is no point in doing that. Any insulin spike you might get from carbs could be reduced by eating other foods with it. If you eat carbs alone then you won't get the benefit from this.
    Twist, I like this answer the best! For the simple fact that it is right!

I am going to give it another try. I noticed the difference after I returned to normal eating. I think it has more to do with digestion than anything.

Tbody is right concerning the op and fitness goals. I think there is more to this theory though. I wanna get some professional opinions on it so I will ask some Dr. friends and see what they say. Musclescience will probably have something to say about it to.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Suzanne Somers wrote her entire diet book based on this food combining idea.....and she really adheres to it.

Thread Information