JustDoIt12 is offline Junior Member

fast food options!?

ok, so i know we've all been there, where you just dont feel like cooking, or maybe just on a long drive and dont have the option to eat "healthy".

what are some of the best options, health wise, when it comes to fast food?

maybe a mcdonalds grilled chk wrap if you hold the mayo? i know, processed wrap, blah blah, but for mcdonalds id say its pretty healthy.

what else is there?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    If you have to do McDonald's - get a grilled chicken salad but tell them you want mixed greens (they have a mixed greens side-salad) - this way, you actually get some decent baby greens and not iceberg/carrots. They have a balsamic vinaigrette that's not terrible if used sparingly. I'm sure you can do the same at Wendy's but avoid Burger King. Chipotle, Subway, various made-to-order places can serve us well in terms of providing a chicken breast with lettuce as well. In terms of carbs, I can't really think of anything viable from these places - your best bet if it has to be a rest-stop type place would be wheat bread but I'd still stick to just protein/lettuce and maybe some nuts from a gas station.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDoIt12 View Post
    ok, so i know we've all been there, where you just dont feel like cooking, or maybe just on a long drive and dont have the option to eat "healthy".

what are some of the best options, health wise, when it comes to fast food?

maybe a mcdonalds grilled chk wrap if you hold the mayo? i know, processed wrap, blah blah, but for mcdonalds id say its pretty healthy.

what else is there?
    If I run into a situation where I don't have time to cook or am under the gun, I'll eat a bar or drink a shake instead of residing to fast food.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Chipotle is my favorite one damien mentioned, i order a chicken bowl with black beans, no rice, veggies and hot salsa. The wrap alone for thier burritos is around 200 calories of mainly simple carbs. If i have to do a burger place I like wendy's apple chicken salad, its all pretty healthy accepth the blue cheese which in small quantities i find acceptable on rare occasions.

I agree that a little cheese or something like that is much better than having simple carbs. It's not like when on a road trip and forced to go to a drive-through, there's any real need for carbs at all. That may sound blasphemous but I think that eating correctly based on situations is one of those things that can supersede calories to an extent. I mean buns, rolls, tortillas, and such are all very empty calories. At least some cheddar or blue on the salad gives you a little protein, haha.

I was on the road this weekend, and I ordered from Chick-Fil-A, their chargrilled chicken salad, and a chargrilled chicken sandwhich, and I took the sandwich meat out of the sandwich and added it to the paltry chicken in the salad.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If im going on a trip i prepare meals and bring them along in a cooler in tupperware. If you really wanted it to be warm there is a microwave at many gas stations. The only time i ever have fast food is for a cheat meal

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Not sure if you have it near you, but Boston Market offers some relatively decent options for 'on the go'.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    I eat a steak and black bean burrito about 4-5 times a week.. it is relatively healthy when you look at the macros.. sure the tortilla is simple crabs.. but you are mixing it up with proteins and complex carbs so it is not digested as fast as if it were eaten alone

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    If im going on a trip i prepare meals and bring them along in a cooler in tupperware. If you really wanted it to be warm there is a microwave at many gas stations. The only time i ever have fast food is for a cheat meal
    I actually had chicken breasts and salad in tupperware (well, rubbermaid) in a cooler, but I thought one salad and grilled chicken at Chick-Fil-A would be ok, too.

X83
    X83 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Not sure if you have it near you, but Boston Market offers some relatively decent options for 'on the go'.
    X2..... they have great sliced turkey beast meals.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    a lot of grocery store chains are serving hot food here in florida and wendy's chili would be aight imo too

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Yes. I haven't been to one since I started this lifestyle but looking back, they have great stuff. Nice green beans, spinach, plain old herb roasted potatoes, white meat chicken. Granted, when I'd eat there after hockey practice a couple years back it was always a 1/2 bird with mashed potatoes and/or macaroni and cheese, lol.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    If I run into a situation where I don't have time to cook or am under the gun, I'll eat a bar or drink a shake instead of residing to fast food.
    same here. I know we always run into a jam here and there but this is where the problems can start. Once a week or every other week might turn into more and more, etc. Sometimes I work 10-14 hrs in a day and you think I wanna cook once I get home???? No way dude.

Blend up a quik shake with a sml amount of oats and youll thank yourself the next day for not doing the fast food thing....

Protein bars are as bad as a Snickers. Sugar alcohol is a carbohydrate.

seahawk45 is offline New Member
    I haven't tried any of these out, but they seem pretty cool for the most part: http://http://www.medicalinsurance.o...st-food-menus/

Animal style fries would be pretty great I bet.
    Last edited by seahawk45; 02-11-2011 at 11:37 AM.

BuffBuffalo is offline Senior Member
    Well the choices here in the Midwest are pretty limited. It's easy to see why so many people are obese. One of my favorites is grilled chicken breast from KFC. I just pull the skin off and it's a good amount of white meat. Sometimes I'll get green beans for a side as well. Also it's not too pricey either!

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty51312 View Post
    Chipotle is my favorite one damien mentioned, i order a chicken bowl with black beans, no rice, veggies and hot salsa. The wrap alone for thier burritos is around 200 calories of mainly simple carbs. If i have to do a burger place I like wendy's apple chicken salad, its all pretty healthy accepth the blue cheese which in small quantities i find acceptable on rare occasions.
    try like 400-500!!

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnsedentary View Post
    not really

Sugar alcohols don't affect blood sugar. That's why diabetics and keto dieters can have them - therefore, they're nothing like sugar. However, I agree that they're bad if for no other reason than the toll they take on your digestive system.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Yes. I haven't been to one since I started this lifestyle but looking back, they have great stuff. Nice green beans, spinach, plain old herb roasted potatoes, white meat chicken. Granted, when I'd eat there after hockey practice a couple years back it was always a 1/2 bird with mashed potatoes and/or macaroni and cheese, lol.
    lol you're a better man then me. I always went for the meatloaf sandwich - loaded w/ cheddar cheese on the white bread (yep, I made all the worst choices, ON PURPOSE!) and BBQ sauce... ugh! Oh and a big ass coke of course, plus those delicious candied yams they serve with the buttery cinnamon crumble and marshmallow... omg! LoL i'm suddenly not making such a good case for Boston Market!

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by damienm05 View Post
    yes. I haven't been to one since i started this lifestyle but looking back, they have great stuff. Nice green beans, spinach, plain old herb roasted potatoes, white meat chicken. Granted, when i'd eat there after hockey practice a couple years back it was always a 1/2 bird with mashed potatoes and/or macaroni and cheese, lol.
    boston market mac and cheese is the shiznit!

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnsedentary View Post
    Theres a select few bars out there that are wortht of eating, including taste and health. Howevver, there are a handfull that are garbage and have more fat and over calories than a slice of pizza.

BuffBuffalo is offline Senior Member
    Any opinions on KFC grilled chicken and side choice?

I'm sure it's loaded with bad things. Likely brined in a sugary/salty/chemically solution, haha. Still, I can't imagine a couple grilled breasts with green beans would derail your diet as long as sodium isn't a huge focus for you.

Thread Information