Thread: Cheat Day/Meal

Flier is offline Productive Member

Cheat Day/Meal

I never cheat...almost never.
    Because I just don´t have cravings, so it´s easy.

I though cheat days was just to keep "cravers" sane.
    However, after some reading here, I found that 1 cheat day/week is actually beneficial for fatloss due to the Homeostasis process.

So I decided to incorporate a cheat day (Saturdays), and had my first today:
    Chicken with fries, bag of chocolates, half bag of chips (had to throw the other half away).
    So I´m sitting here feeling like crap, and feel I look like "Fat Bastard" in Austin Powers.
    I need to do something different next Saturday.
    What do you guys do?
    What should a cheat day look like?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    First of all, if it's planned and planned to be beneficial it's not a cheat. As far as what to do, it really depends on what your diet looks like the other 6 days of the week. If you are running low carbs then plan your refeed meal to include carbs or if there is a certain food you just crave but cant seem to fit it into your macros have it then.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by First Timer 42 View Post
    I never cheat...almost never.
    Because I just don´t have cravings, so it´s easy.

I though cheat days was just to keep "cravers" sane.
    However, after some reading here, I found that 1 cheat day/week is actually beneficial for fatloss due to the Homeostasis process.

So I decided to incorporate a cheat day (Saturdays), and had my first today:
    Chicken with fries, bag of chocolates, half bag of chips (had to throw the other half away).
    So I´m sitting here feeling like crap, and feel I look like "Fat Bastard" in Austin Powers.
    I need to do something different next Saturday.
    What do you guys do?
    What should a cheat day look like?

Firstly, what are your stats and goals?

There are a couple things I'd do differently if I were having a planned cheat. Firstly, i'd make it a cheat meal, or narrow it down to a block of time - say 9am when you get up until 1pm, then that's it. A day of dirty cheating can easily negate a good week of dieting depending on the goal. If you were cutting and only running a small deficit, say 300 calories, that's 1800 calories over the course of 6 days. On the 7th day you cheat and do it for a full day, full of dirty food - you can EASILY eat 1800 calories. Hell, I can do it in 1 sitting.

Secondly - a cheat day/meal doesn't necessarily mean it's a license to eat whatever you want/dirty. Alot of guys who do cheat meals will just have alot more of the good stuff - i.e. more meat, more pasta, maybe they'd allow some white pasta w/ sauce instead of their typical carb sources, etc. Typically the meal will be high in protein/carbs with fats kept at bay.

Hope this helps, can help further with some info.

Sorry FG, you must've posted while I was writing. I think we're on the same page though.

^^Yep, except your post was a bit better than mine. Good points I left out. Even on a carb cycle I plan the carb days to fall on either leg or back day as I know I will work them off. If it's a one meal thing I always make it breakfast as well. Getting full in the morning has me actually eating smaller meals after that than normal. My total calorie intake for the day is often about the same due to gorging at bfast then eating smaller the rest of the day.

Ok tnx guys. Think I misunderstood the cheat day concept, however too late for this Saturday, I´m not putting my finger in my throat....hehe

110kg
    12-14% BF
    On first cycle:
    11 weeks into 6 months HGH 4.5iu 6/7
    3 weeks into 11 week Cyp 250mgs E4D + 20mg Dbol ED first 30 days.

Went from 100kg to 105 kg during first 8 weeks on HGH, then to 110 kg during 2 weeks on AAS.
    My goal end weight is 110 kg, 10-12%BF.

Eating very clean and the same every day.
    Carbs during breakfast (Ricecakes, oatmeal, banana), along with some deli meat and whey for protein.
    PWO shake 40-50 whey/ 60 Dextrose (just went from 80 to 60)
    PWO meal: 120 grams rice (dry weight) with chicken or salmon.
    From there on, a protein rich meal every 2 hours. (Beef pattties with eggs, Can of Tuna over salad, Can of Mackerel on Wasa bread, chicken breasts with broccoli and 2 rice cakes, lean beef hamburger patties on low carb/high fiber bread...etc)
    Ending the day with 35 grams Casein before bed.
    I would say I´m running about 4000-4500 cal/day
    Working out 6/7, splitting body in 6
    Cardio: 10 min warm up treadmill ED, and 30 min fast walk every eve.

So on Sundays, maybe I´ll just do a large breakfast instead, with potatoes, eggs, sausage, juice etc.?

arizona32 is offline Junior Member
    I call them treat meals rather than cheat meals because they are planned. I allow 3/week though don't always use them. I prefer the 3 meals rather than one day because I can use them at strategic times such as a family outing or before/after a killer workout. This is more beneficial to me than just pigging out one day of the week. I do believe in calorie/carb cycling to keep the body guessing. I still keep each meal under 1K cal. and avoid going crazy with what I eat, because as you experienced, it's not worth the crappy feeling later. This seems to work for me on a long term sustainable level (about 12% bodyfat). However if you want to get really ripped like fireguy you may need to eat less or avoid cheats altogether.

ADB007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Timer 42 View Post
    Ok tnx guys. Think I misunderstood the cheat day concept, however too late for this Saturday, I´m not putting my finger in my throat....hehe

110kg
    12-14% BF
    On first cycle:
    11 weeks into 6 months HGH 4.5iu 6/7
    3 weeks into 11 week Cyp 250mgs E4D + 20mg Dbol ED first 30 days.

Went from 100kg to 105 kg during first 8 weeks on HGH, then to 110 kg during 2 weeks on AAS.
    My goal end weight is 110 kg, 10-12%BF.

Eating very clean and the same every day.
    Carbs during breakfast (Ricecakes, oatmeal, banana), along with some deli meat and whey for protein.
    PWO shake 40-50 whey/ 60 Dextrose (just went from 80 to 60)
    PWO meal: 120 grams rice (dry weight) with chicken or salmon.
    From there on, a protein rich meal every 2 hours. (Beef pattties with eggs, Can of Tuna over salad, Can of Mackerel on Wasa bread, chicken breasts with broccoli and 2 rice cakes, lean beef hamburger patties on low carb/high fiber bread...etc)
    Ending the day with 35 grams Casein before bed.
    I would say I´m running about 4000-4500 cal/day
    Working out 6/7, splitting body in 6
    Cardio: 10 min warm up treadmill ED, and 30 min fast walk every eve.

So on Sundays, maybe I´ll just do a large breakfast instead, with potatoes, eggs, sausage, juice etc.?
    No disrespect. But if you never have any cheat meals, shouldn't you be super ripped? Heck I get ripped with eating 2 cheat meals a week. How could you possibly be on 12-14% bf?

Edit: Sorry didn't read that you are bulking and eating so many calories. My mistake
    Last edited by ADB007; 03-27-2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: didn't read entire post lol

Well, from what I read about cheat meals, 1/week will actually help you rather than hurt you if you´re trying to get ripped.
    Re. my BF, I´m just guessing. The machine at the gym is unreliable. And I don´t really have a BF goal, but an appearance goal. I just think around 10% will give me the appearance I´m looking for. At 110 kg, I can see I have he muscle mass I desire, and I look nice and lean all over except my midsection. Have visible top "4" abs, bit can pinch about 2" on my lower belly. I just estimate this equals about 2% BF I need to get rid of.
    So since I have reached my goal weight, the remainder 8 weeks of my cycle will be used to convert 5kg fat/water into muscle.
    SHould I stay at 110 kg while I attempt this, or ballon to 115kg, for later shed 5kg during/after PCT?
    Is cheating a silly and unnecessary option?(Anavar /Winstrol last 4 weeks)

hoyle21 is offline Junior Member
    I let myself have one meal that isn't as healthy as should be. Friday night I get a 16oz New York Strip with garlic mashed potatoes at my favorite restaurant. It comes with a salad I get with ranch, and a bread stick. I have no idea what the macros are and don't care. I do legs Saturday morning so I burn a lot of that meal real quick.

cmdace18 is offline Junior Member
    here's my question on a cheat meal, as i'm cutting .. i'm currently at 300/130/55/2300 daily...

if you are going to run 6.2 miles on a sunday AM in the heat in FL (10K road race), which scenario is better:

1. saturday 6pm, healthy meal (per diet), and some whole wheat pasta for energy the next AM and cheat meal sunday noon (after race) - 2 slices of pizza or similiar.
    2. saturday 6pm, cheat meal (2 slices pizza or similar, bowl of whole wheat pasta)

just curious if you get the cheat meal "out of the way" saturday night so that the increased carbs and fat is burned off the next morning ... OR can the cheat meal act as repairing and re-fueling the body after burning so many calories.
    Last edited by cmdace18; 03-27-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdace18 View Post
    here's my question on a cheat meal, as i'm cutting .. i'm currently at 300/130/55/2300 daily...

if you are going to run 6.2 miles on a sunday AM in the heat in FL (10K road race), which scenario is better:

1. saturday 6pm, healthy meal (per diet), and some whole wheat pasta for energy the next AM and cheat meal sunday noon (after race) - 2 slices of pizza or similiar.
    2. saturday 6pm, cheat meal (2 slices pizza or similar, bowl of whole wheat pasta)

just curious if you get the cheat meal "out of the way" saturday night so that the increased carbs and fat is burned off the next morning ... OR can the cheat meal act as repairing and re-fueling the body after burning so many calories.
    Good question - i'd go with option 1. The food you're specifically asking about isn't going to do much in terms of repair, but it will definitely provide some fuel. Personally, i'd plan my cheat the evening before or even earlier the day of my most intense workout - usually legs, or possibly back when I incorporate heavy deads.

hoyle21 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Good question - i'd go with option 1. The food you're specifically asking about isn't going to do much in terms of repair, but it will definitely provide some fuel. Personally, i'd plan my cheat the evening before or even earlier the day of my most intense workout - usually legs, or possibly back when I incorporate heavy deads.
    Exactly what I do. I have my big cheat dinner, and do legs the following morning.

(that's 50 and I didn't even have to post whore to do it)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

yeah, i tend to agree. i did a test this weekend - last night (6pm) had 1 cup of whole wheat pasta, 8oz of chicken that was lightly fried, and a bruchetta mix (onion/tomato/oil) type of deal. this morning i ran 6.2 in the freakin' heat (it was 93!) and afterwards i felt great. back on the train today with all of my meals.

i think having the meal the night before will do 2 things for me - keep the cheat at a minimum because if i eat too much, i'll be sluggish and not perform the next day - this will help keep the cheat in check.

also, by doing it the night before, and NOT sunday (after race), i won't have all day to slip-up as i'm back on my diet.

always curious about "oh i'll burn it off" OR "i worked out so hard, i'm just reparing" ....

so it really is option 2, cheat meal night before, burn it off next day.

gotjacked is offline New Member
    i recommend taking one cheat meal per week...as mentioned above i look at it not as a 'cheat meal' but rather as something that is very useful in training your muscle memory and receptors.....IMO just take ONE meal per week for this cheat. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyle21 View Post
    Exactly what I do. I have my big cheat dinner, and do legs the following morning.

(that's 50 and I didn't even have to post whore to do it)
    Lmao, congrats!

yeah, i tend to agree. i did a test this weekend - last night (6pm) had 1 cup of whole wheat pasta, 8oz of chicken that was lightly fried, and a bruchetta mix (onion/tomato/oil) type of deal. this morning i ran 6.2 in the freakin' heat (it was 93!) and afterwards i felt great. back on the train today with all of my meals.

i think having the meal the night before will do 2 things for me - keep the cheat at a minimum because if i eat too much, i'll be sluggish and not perform the next day - this will help keep the cheat in check.

also, by doing it the night before, and NOT sunday (after race), i won't have all day to slip-up as i'm back on my diet.

always curious about "oh i'll burn it off" OR "i worked out so hard, i'm just reparing" ....

so it really is option 2, cheat meal night before, burn it off next day.
    Sorry man, I didn't read your post closely enough the first time. I would NOT go with option 1, lol! Definitely option 2 - use the cheat meal the night before as a bump in fuel for the pending activity, then back on the diet the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by ADB007 View Post
    No disrespect. But if you never have any cheat meals, shouldn't you be super ripped? Heck I get ripped with eating 2 cheat meals a week. How could you possibly be on 12-14% bf?

Edit: Sorry didn't read that you are bulking and eating so many calories. My mistake
    No disrespect. But you are also a 165lbs Ectomorph. It would be no different than someone telling you, shouldnt you be over 200lbs if you lift weights? Also, just cause someone doesnt have cheat meals doesnt mean they still cant get fat. You can eat a super clean diet 24/7/365 but if your calories are over TDEE you will eventually gain bodyfat.

YoungMan is offline Associate Member
    palumbo diet.... lets me fuel up on sundays but not go crazy.... and its a keto formed diet.... and its too give the body a little confusion.... just cause you can cheat a meal though it doesn`t give you permision to eat a double big mac combo supersized with an extra large coke lol

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
    palumbo diet.... lets me fuel up on sundays but not go crazy.... and its a keto formed diet.... and its too give the body a little confusion.... just cause you can cheat a meal though it doesn`t give you permision to eat a double big mac combo supersized with an extra large coke lol
    Can't get a supersize anymore, the documentary killed that. Of course you could always order two of everything instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    No disrespect. But you are also a 165lbs Ectomorph. It would be no different than someone telling you, shouldnt you be over 200lbs if you lift weights? Also, just cause someone doesnt have cheat meals doesnt mean they still cant get fat. You can eat a super clean diet 24/7/365 but if your calories are over TDEE you will eventually gain bodyfat.
    Yep everyone is different. I have friends whose entire "diet" is made of cheat meals and they are about 10% bodyfat with great muscle definition (lucky b*stards). Of course their problem is putting on size. For others size comes easy, but losing fat requires extreme dedication. Like most people, I'm somewhere in the middle, so I get to work hard for both.

ADB007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    Ectomorph? I was grossly overweight my entire life up until the age of 17. I fell in love with a girl and decided to lose weight so she would like me back. I ate nothing more than 3 apples/day for a month with 30-40 min of cardio/day. I lost pretty much all my weight but I eventually passed out while running on the treadmill and was hospitalized. Stupid way of losing weight I know, but I knew nothing about nutrition back then.

Since then I have been researching nutrition on a daily basis. I still gain fat extremely easily and have to watch what I eat all year round. Even if I get to sub 10%bf and I go on a week holiday and eat like my friends do, I come back with 12-15% bf and have to start from square one.

I gain muscle very easily and I intentionally don't eat much protein or lift too heavy because I don't wan't to look stocky. I am 5'7

And I didn't read that he was eating over his TDEE. I assumed he was asking about cheat meals because he was cutting. My bad
    Last edited by ADB007; 03-28-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Ectomorph? I was grossly overweight my entire life up until the age of 17. I fell in love with a girl and decided to lose weight so she would like me back. I ate nothing more than 3 apples/day for a month with 30-40 min of cardio/day. I lost pretty much all my weight but I eventually passed out while running on the treadmill and was hospitalized. Stupid way of losing weight I know, but I knew nothing about nutrition back then.

Since then I have been researching nutrition on a daily basis. I still gain fat extremely easily and have to watch what I eat all year round. Even if I get to sub 10%bf and I go on a week holiday and eat like my friends do, I come back with 12-15% bf and have to start from square one.
    I gain muscle very easily and I intentionally don't eat much protein or lift too heavy because I don't wan't to look stocky. I am 5'7

And I didn't read that he was eating over his TDEE. I assumed he was asking about cheat meals because he was cutting. My bad
    So which statement is true?

YoungMan is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arizona32 View Post
    Can't get a supersize anymore, the documentary killed that. Of course you could always order two of everything instead.
    I live in Canada Bro we still got the double qurter pounder and the double big mac upsized =P .... saying so i havent had a big mac in years

InfiniteMuscle is offline Junior Member
    triplemeat whataburger with cheese!

i'm planning my "treat meal" for saturday lunch. i'm running in a 10k race (6.2 miles) sunday am. so i'm going to make a healthy meat lasagna - whole wheat pasta, no sugar added sauce, 96/4 ground beef, fat free mozz, skim ricotta, etc. i'll have my salad and veggies as well.

even though it's not an awful fast food/pizza type of meal, its def. a cheat, but i'm using it as fuel for my race the next morning. these are the types of things people can incorporate into their schedule. it doesn't have to be the downright absolute worst thing for you to be a cheat meal, it can be done with a purpose and still feel like cheating when you compare it to ones normal diet.

cheating isn't black or white, there are gray areas in between too.

i'm planning my "treat meal" for saturday lunch. i'm running in a 10k race (6.2 miles) sunday am. so i'm going to make a healthy meat lasagna - whole wheat pasta, no sugar added sauce, 96/4 ground beef, fat free mozz, skim ricotta, etc. i'll have my salad and veggies as well.

even though it's not an awful fast food/pizza type of meal, its def. a cheat, but i'm using it as fuel for my race the next morning. these are the types of things people can incorporate into their schedule. it doesn't have to be the downright absolute worst thing for you to be a cheat meal, it can be done with a purpose and still feel like cheating when you compare it to ones normal diet.

cheating isn't black or white, there are gray areas in between too.
    Sound like a healthy way to cheat...hehe
    I think I totally misunderstood the cheat meal concept.
    Had just read to pig out once per week will stop the body from storing, and will actually be beneficial for metabolism/fatburn.
    But eating junkfood with fast carbs makes me feel like crap, same with alcohol, so I will listen to my body.
    Sundays are my days off. I will "cheat" with a large breakfast with potatoes (which I never eat), bread (never eat), eggs, juice etc.
    I usually go for long walks in the forest with my dog on Sundays, so this will give me a lot of fuel as well.

Thread Information