kastr0 is offline New Member

Serious Diet Critique!!!

I'm sure everyone here has seen it 100000x4^100 times before already but I really need some clarification and/or advice on where my diet is at. Was having great results for 2 months, and have hit a PLATEAU in my cutting diet. Currently at 240lbs (@6ft)...started at 265. I've read all the stickies, and have lurked this board for a long long time.

Meal 1:
    Approx 1cup Egg Whites with one/two whole egg(s)
    2 pieces of whole wheat toast or one serving of oats

Meal 2: Protein Shake (ON Nitrocore ~(5g fat 24g protein 14g carbs 5g fiber)

Meal 3: Source of Protein usually 1 can tuna with 1.5 tablespoons miracle whip light OR 5-6 oz chicken breast OR 4 oz lean eye of round steak with veg (Options: broccoli, stirfried onions and bell peppers, tons of garlic, brussells sprouts, green beans, asparagus..something of this nature)

Meal 4: Pre workout...Either 1 tablespoon of natty pb w/ 1 serving of whey/nitrocore OR 1 piece of bread with lunchmeat (approx 4 oz)

(Workout)

Meal 5: PWO....1.5 scoops of ON Whey with 10 oz Gatorade consumed over 20 minutes

Meal 6: Lean steak/chicken/shrimp/99% lean ground turkey w/ veg....broccoli OR stirfried onions and bell peppers w/ tons of garlic OR brussells sprouts OR green beans OR asparagus

SLEEP!

Questions: is my carb intake adequate for a cutting diet?
    Are onions a 'veg' source i might want to avoid? I've heard they have a lot of carbs..am i being OCD?
    Which should i stick to pre workout, Pro/Fat or Pro/Carb?
    Should I be eating carbs in my second post workout meal?
    I've been limiting carbs to only breakfast and PWO so far and any help would seriously make my life awesome.....thanks.
    Last edited by kastr0; 04-07-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Workout is as follows as well:
    Monday Chest/Tri's/Abs with approx 30 min cardio w/ heartrate at 140-150 approx
    Tues- Back/LowerBack/Bi's (lower back rehab) 30 min cardio " " " "
    Wednesday - Shoulders/Hamstrings No Cardio
    Thursday - Quads/Gluts no cardio
    Friday - Abs 30 min cardio
    Sat/Sun - Off

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    how much cardio are you doing. also whats your bodyfat and tdee?

Cardio stated above, my bodyfat....man...I couldn't tell you EXACTLY but roughly 20%..don't have an obese look, hold my weight well but could stand to lose probably 40 pounds or roughly 10% fat...my peak physical condition was at @187 lbs. What is tdee?

ALSO, cheat day on Saturday, when I don't work out. I know thats probably a bad thing right. I try not to get too crazy on my cheat days. 2 solid cheat meals.

Quote Originally Posted by kastr0 View Post
    ALSO, cheat day on Saturday, when I don't work out. I know thats probably a bad thing right. I try not to get too crazy on my cheat days. 2 solid cheat meals.
    I'll let someone else go through and help you get your diet sorted as it definitely needs improvement but this ^^^^ is why you have hit a plateau. As high as your BF is right now, you should be able to lose weight by simply maintaining a calorie deficit, so basically your cheat DAY is negating any progress you make during the week. A cheat day is just ridiculous, if you absolutely must, have a planned cheat meal and try to make it as sensible as possible.

bump, i need some help here besides telling me cheat days are counter productive, thanks for the info though. Someone at the gym told me they thought my BF% was more around 16%

can i get a bump please? Need answers!!!

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    First problem I see is there are too many "OR's" in your diet. It sounds like you're constantly changing meals from day to day. The problem with that is your macros from day to day may also be changing more than you think. And since you haven't listed macros for each meal, I'm going to assume you don't know exactly how many cals you're eating everyday. Help us help you buy eliminating the "OR's" in your diet and list macros for each meal, along with total calories for the entire day. Let's start there and move forward. Cheers.

btw-I completely agree with the other guys are right about the cheat meals. If I stalled while trying to cut, eliminating all cheat meals would be the first thing I'd do. Let's first get the above sorted out.

Alright, I was just always told (Even said by the great Milos Sarcev) that its good to change it up due to developing food allergies. I can get you macros. Should I keep it the same every day then? like Meal 1: eggs and carb Meal 2: shake meal 3: lean steak with veg meal 4: preworkout meal 5: pwo meal 6: chicken and veg?

ProBody. is offline New Member
    i look at your diet and im quite sure your getting bout 100g or little bit more carbs a day, so having a cheat day is a no no.
    also post your cal / prot / fat / carb info so we can help you out more, guessing game aint gonna give that good results.

plus your doin only 90 min cardio / week and having a cheat day on saturday. thats the reason why fat loss has stalled.
    i would replace cheat day on saturday with 45 min cardio. small things like this might be bigger than you think.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Well, let's keep the meals the same day to day so we know exactly how many cals you're consuming everyday. Just post it up properly with macros/cals for now, then we'll go into detail about what we're gonna change about the diet i.e. I can tell you now, most of those shakes are gonna go. Anyways, one step at a time: just repost with proper macros and times of day you're eating each meal. Also list what time you workout.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    IMO, change your foods up all you want, so long as you're replacing one with another comparable source, but in quality and macro nutrients. i.e. 6oz of boneless skinless chicken breast replaced with 6oz tilapia, or 1 cup brown rice replaced by 1 cup sweet potato, etc.

The flip side is you can't replace the chicken breast with beef or an oily fish like salmon, or the sweet potato with a serving of white pasta or bread.

okay, so i've been tracking closely and here are my macro's for a day:
    Meal 1:
    Over 1 Easy Egg + 1 cup of egg whites 3g fat/30g pro 123 cal
    2 slices of toast/1 serving oats - 3fat/8g pro/34g carb/6fiber 180 cal

Meal 2:
    1 serving NitroCore 200 cal
    5g fat/24g pro/14g carb/5g fiber

Meal 3:
    tuna 2g fat/30g pro 140 cal
    1tbsp mayo w/ olive oil - 4g fat 36 cal
    broccoli, raw 0g fat/6carbs/2fiber 20 cal

WORKOUT

Meal 4:20 oz gatorade 34g carb 130 cal
    1.33 scoops ON Whey 1g fat/35g pro/3g carbs 150 cal

Meal 5: Lemon marinaded steak 3oz 200 cal
    5g fat/31g protein
    Roasted Red Pepper - 1g pro/13 carb/3 fiber 58 cal

1 scoop NitroCore 5g fat/24g pro/14carb/5 fiber 200 cal

Grand Total 1,437 Cal 28g fat/185 Pro/118 Carb/ 22 Fiber

From my basic critique it looks like I don't have enough protein in my diet (I weigh 240lbs, 6ft), and need more cals? I probably consume more around 1500 max.
    I also have upped my cardio to 5 days a week@ 30min a pop and having my cheat day on a day I work out

Thread Information