Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    chunkystyle81 is offline New Member

Any changes needed???

Newbie here....

I am starting a diet suggested from a friend on Monday. Here are the details.

Meal 1 - 4 eggs, 2 slices of wheat toast, 16 oz of water.

Meals 2-5 - 4 oz of chicken or fish
    4 oz broccoli, carrots, lima beans, or spinach
    4 oz brown rice or baked potato
    16 oz of water
    Also, taking multivitamin along with a potassium pill

Trying to cut weight and start a cardio workout routine with light weightlifting before moving into adding muscle and definition. I do have a problem with dedication/will power, so for the first 4 weeks will probably include a "cheat" meal once a week.

Any suggestions to add or help?

Thanks

Chunkystyle

Buddhabody is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Need states (age, weight) and more detailed meal totals (fats, protein and carbs).

Sorry about that....
    I'm 30 years old, 6'2" and a little shy of 300, trying to cut fat and weight. Recently purchased an elliptical and plan on starting a high cardio workout to go along with light weightlifting for now.

Detailed meal totals will have to wait until I get home in the morning.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkystyle81 View Post
    Newbie here....

I am starting a diet suggested from a friend on Monday. Here are the details.

Meal 1 - 4 eggs, 2 slices of wheat toast, 16 oz of water.

Meals 2-5 - 4 oz of chicken or fish
    4 oz broccoli, carrots, lima beans, or spinach
    4 oz brown rice or baked potato
    16 oz of water
    Also, taking multivitamin along with a potassium pill

Trying to cut weight and start a cardio workout routine with light weightlifting before moving into adding muscle and definition. I do have a problem with dedication/will power, so for the first 4 weeks will probably include a "cheat" meal once a week.

Any suggestions to add or help?

Thanks

Chunkystyle
    Welcome to the diet forum. You are about to change your life~

Above bold notes: need to cut out the toast and if you absolutely have to have some toast then find some Ezekiel bread which is found in the freezer section of the grocery store. And your eggs. Are they the entire egg? if so this needs to be egg whites. Too much fat in a whole egg for cutting BF for now.
    And as far as cardio. The best and fastest way to cut BF is to do fasted cardio. And to do this you get up outta bed and go straight out the door for at least 25 minutes. It can be a brisk walk. Doesn't have to be some all out knock out high intensity cardio. Just a low intensity cardio first thing and you will see the BF melt off. Then when you get back home, get some food in you. A protein shake is good at this time so your muscles are fed asap.
    As far as dedication and will power: this is why I strongly urge you to do fasted cardio. This will signal to you that you have started your day and you know you have gotten it in for the day. Plus once you get into this routine and see the scales drop you will be more and more motivated. Trust me on this.
    As far as a cheat meal. Many do cheat once a week. But to get started could you try to stay away from this for at least 2 weeks. And if you could give us 4 weeks even better. But if you feel it is a must to jump start, then you decide about this. And if you do cheat then keep it to a meal. Not a full day.

Sounds to me like this is a lifestyle change for you more than anything else. And this is where you need to make this a priority now in your life. The real key to this is to find foods which have been approved here that you like so you will stick to it. This also takes a little patience for tweaking and finding those foods.

Also consistency and slow wins this race.

Good luck to you. Will follow your progress~
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member
    Mate, if meals 2-5 are the same consisting of a combo of the foods you listed, i'd only include the potato/brown rice in the pre-workout meal. So for all other meals (except meal 1), have lean meat and veggies only. Given that you're 300lbs, you may need some carbs in the post-workout meal as well, but keep these to a minimum. You definitely dont want to be eating potato or rice 4x times a day when cutting.

When i'm cutting (like I am now), i have chicken breast and broccoli for dinner at about 6.30pm, and then nothing else until just before bedtime when I might have some cottage cheese. Wake up at sparrow's, and then get in some cardio before you eat anything as Slimmer explained. If you can maintain the routine solidly, you should get great results.
    Last edited by Blaz Kavlic; 10-08-2011 at 09:17 PM.

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic View Post
    Mate, if meals 2-5 are the same consisting of a combo of the foods you listed, i'd only include the potato/brown rice in the pre-workout meal. So for all other meals (except meal 1), have lean meat and veggies only. Given that you're 300lbs, you may need some carbs in the post-workout meal as well, but keep these to a minimum. You definitely dont want to be eating potato or rice 4x times a day when cutting.

When i'm cutting (like I am now), i have chicken breast and broccoli for dinner at about 6.30pm, and then nothing else until just before bedtime when I might have some cottage cheese. Wake up at sparrow's, and then get in some cardio before you eat anything as Slimmer explained. If you can maintain the routine solidly, you should get great results.
    I agree you may want to cut back on the carbs and increase the fiberous veggies to keep you full! Also as slimmerme said drop the yolks and add more whites. Drop the bread and go for oats.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is much appreciated. What is Ezekiel bread?

Blaz, in cutting out the carbs from all meals but Meal 1 and the pre-workout meal, would this have an adverse effect when I try to get out of the cutting phase? And I have also been warned about caffeine withdrawl headaches...would having an occasional cup of coffee be a bad idea? Or helpful?

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member

Blaz, in cutting out the carbs from all meals but Meal 1 and the pre-workout meal, would this have an adverse effect when I try to get out of the cutting phase? And I have also been warned about caffeine withdrawl headaches...would having an occasional cup of coffee be a bad idea? Or helpful?
    The transition phase from cutting to bulking shouldnt be too adversely affected providing you plan your meals carefully. When you're satisfied with your weight loss and are ready to bulk, you'll need to up your daily calorie intake to above maintenance cals (somewhere around 500 cals above maintenance is a good start). When you begin incorporating more cals into your diet, keep them clean. Brown rice and more fibrous veggies are good options.

What I do is I have a formulated Excel spreadsheet with my daily diet macros which allows me to see the nutritional breakdown and how many cals are in each meal. My maintenance cals are around 3000, so when i'm cutting, I adjust the meals on the spreadsheet until I arrive at 2000-2500 cals per day or thereabouts. When I switch to a bulking phase, I add meals that will bring my calorie intake to 3500. This usually means inserting 2 extra meals consisting of chicken breast/brown rice and lean steak/sweet potato or something as such. Providing your extra cals are clean and your training and cardio are dialled, you shouldnt experience any negative impacts when you switch programs.

I hear what you're saying about coffee. I work in an office and have about 30 cafes within a 5 minute walk, but if you're serious about cutting, it might be an idea to find an alternative for awhile. I used to have a jumbo capuccino with 3x sugars everyday, but this was counter-productive for my goals. Now I sometimes have black coffee but recently i've been getting into green tea as a substitute. If you end up getting withdrawl headaches, have the coffee, but try and refrain from adding sugar. Its true what they say, when you're bodybuilding, eating becomes boring and repetitive. But it really comes down to how badly you want what you're working towards. Sacrificing alcohol, sugary and fast foods is small price to pay IMHO when you begin to see your hard work pay off.
    Last edited by Blaz Kavlic; 10-09-2011 at 10:39 PM.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~

Live grain sprout bread with lots of nutrients (and about the only bread suggested/recommended around here)
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Thread Information