Thread: Beefjerky

iraqiwarrior is offline Associate Member

Beefjerky

Man my dumbass really just ate a bag of jack links teriyaki nuggets on my keto diet total bag has 30 g protein 3 g fat and like 60 % daily value sodium and 15g sugar/carbs will that kick me out of keto thats put me at 33 g carbs total for today but im curious if that sugar would kick me out i did intense cardio too

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    33g of any carb would kick most out of ketosis... 15g of straight almost definitely will. Beef Jerky is fine, but go with the plain or peppered variety.

iraqiwarrior is offline Associate Member
    No what i meant was after eating the beefjerkey i was 33 carbs total for the day and 10 of those carbs came from broccoli... but yeah i woke up .4 lbs lighter today thank god so i dont think it effected me

xun_18 is offline Junior Member
    you should maybe try thejack links master ridge farms turkey jerky its way lower i salt carbs and calories and has a amazing taste i always have some on hand when i diet just i case i need my proteins and i stuck somewhere with work or something

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    If u want jerky make ur own...

I do and it's great.... Usually make up a massive batch before I go away so I know I have my protein intake covered...
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Same here, I love jerky and usually just buy 1.5 lbs of sliced mean and marinate it with my own mix for 1 or 2 days and load it into the dehydrator for about 10 hrs.

My dehydrator is my oven on low with the door open.... Works a treat

I either hang the meat over the oven bars or just use whole pieces of meat (1cm thick) and lay them on the bars....

8-10 hours usually does the trick for me... This is so cheap guys, you have to try this out... No excuses for buying expensive and crappy jerky

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    My dehydrator is my oven on low with the door open.... Works a treat

I either hang the meat over the oven bars or just use whole pieces of meat (1cm thick) and lay them on the bars....

8-10 hours usually does the trick for me... This is so cheap guys, you have to try this out... No excuses for buying expensive and crappy jerky
    This is what i do as well.
    Where I live they always run great sales on London Broil. Its a great cut for making jerky. It can be picked up so cheap and makes excellent jerky.

Blog Entries
    is homemade jerky just as hard as the store bought kind...i love jerky but it is a bitch to chew some of the brands that are out there but if i could make it a bit more tender it would be great...thx...

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The process for making beef jerky is very much the same if you were going to cure a joint of pork, correct?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    is homemade jerky just as hard as the store bought kind...i love jerky but it is a bitch to chew some of the brands that are out there but if i could make it a bit more tender it would be great...thx...

It all depends on they type of meat, the cut with or against the grain and how long you let it dry. To make it more tender tenderize it first, beat it with one of those knurled hammers. If you have a dehydrator you can also just use ground beef, marinate it, make patties or strips and dry it out. It is not hard or chewy like regular jerky but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    The process for making beef jerky is very much the same if you were going to cure a joint of pork, correct?
    Curing pork (Parma ham for instance) is Cold process.... Basically dry aging the whole leg of pork...

You would usually pack the leg in a box with salt for a period of time tabs keep changing the salt to begin the drying process and season the meat....

After you would hang the leg for up to a few years I believe (I would suspect a minimum of 6months)... This continues to remove moisture from the meat and developes the flavour

Jerky is dried in a dehydrator fairly quickly (6-12 hrs) sometimes using a little heat to help the process

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    It all depends on they type of meat, the cut with or against the grain and how long you let it dry. To make it more tender tenderize it first, beat it with one of those knurled hammers. If you have a dehydrator you can also just use ground beef, marinate it, make patties or strips and dry it out. It is not hard or chewy like regular jerky but still good.
    thanks bro im going to try this...

Thread Information