Levani is offline Junior Member

Post Protein shake and PWO cardio question

Hi. i'm going through cutting cycle after 3 month of bulking. my diet is straight and only thing that i cut from my diet is some carbs and fats. i left protein ammount the same. since i cutting i starded doing cardio 4 times a week. 3 times after 1 hour weight lifting and once every sunday first thing in the morning. so my question is what would be the best option to take whey protein shake to prevent muscle catabolizm?
    1. 50gr of whey 1st thing in the morning-----1hr workout---30 min cardio(60-70 mhr)----50gr whey prot.---pwo meal.
    2. 25gr of whey 1st thing in the morning-----1hr workout---25gr of prot---30 min cardio(60-70 mhr)----pwo meal.
    3. 50gr of whey 1st thing in the morning-----1hr workout---50gr of prot---30 min cardio(60-70 mhr)----pwo meal.

what do you think, wich option will prevent the muscle from catabolic state during cardio?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    if it were me id prob have 50g protein/50g carb/10g bcaa.. then lift and then do cardio and then have pwo nutrition..

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    You're overthinking this. Just make sure you're eating regularly and enough, and you don't need to worry about muscle breakdown. Also, i'd swap that whey for a protein blend - something containing casein, egg, etc. as well as whey. Whey is digested and assimilated in about 30 minutes, so it's your worst choice if you're looking for something to 'hold you over'.

PS - how about some real food?

Ok so you're saying that there is no need for protein shake in between workout and cardio? I do eat 50gr protein and about 35-40gr carbs 1hr before workout. Also I take ON 2222 amino tabs 2 tablets before and 2 after workout and 2 before bed. Also before bed I take 25gr casein with 10gr BCAA in it, and 5gr glutamine powder. Should I skip pwo shake before cardio?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    You're overthinking this. Just make sure you're eating regularly and enough, and you don't need to worry about muscle breakdown. Also, i'd swap that whey for a protein blend - something containing casein, egg, etc. as well as whey. Whey is digested and assimilated in about 30 minutes, so it's your worst choice if you're looking for something to 'hold you over'.

PS - how about some real food?
    I do eat of course before and after gym. I eat 4 times before and 2 after gym(real food) I was just wondering since the muscle is in most anabolic state after workout, it would be a good idea to take fast absorbing protein. But since I do cardio right after lifting, it might be a waste cause I will burn all that protein before even muscle can absorb it. So I was thinking what would be the best way stay anabolic? Or maybe I should blend 25gr whey, 25gr casein and 30gr uncooked oats and take it to the gym? Or maybe none of this is nececery if I have good pre and post workout meal?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Levani View Post
    I do eat of course before and after gym. I eat 4 times before and 2 after gym(real food) I was just wondering since the muscle is in most anabolic state after workout it would be a good idea to take fast absorbing protein.
    More recent studies have shown protein synthesis to INCREASE several hours PWO, completely debunking the 'magical window of opportunity' that supplement companies love to push.

But since I do cardio right after lifting, it might be a waste cause I will burn all that protein before even muscle can absorb it.
    Why would your body burn protein? Don't you have glucose from your preworkout meal? Don't you have glycogen stores? Don't you have bodyfat stores? Your body has no need to burn protein for fuel. Having said that, you do not NEED to have a shake between your workout and cardio. In fact, I wouldn't do it. You want to keep insulin supressed during cardio, and even protein will raise it a bit. You'll be perfectly fine to train, do cardio, and have your PWO meal afterwards.

So I was thinking what would be the best way stay anabolic ? Or maybe I should blend 25gr whey, 25gr casein and 30gr uncooked oats and take it to the gym? Or maybe none of this is nececery if I have good pre and post workout meal?
    Bingo.

ok thnaks for the tips!

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    OP, so you're working out 1st thing in the morn? How long before your workout do you consume you're 1st shake/meal? Ideally you want to consume some protein and carbs 1-1.5 hrs before your weight training session. When I do workout in the mornings I consume this shake about 1.5 hrs before my workout: 8oz liquid egg whites, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 cup oats, a few blueberries, 1/2 tbl spoon natty pb, and dash of cinnamon...I blend all of this up and then toss it down the hatch. This blend will give you some fast and slow digesting proteins and carbs and should prevent catabolism during an intense weight training session. I also consume some BCAA's 15 mins before this meal and toward the end of my workout as well. Anyhow, hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    OP, so you're working out 1st thing in the morn? How long before your workout do you consume you're 1st shake/meal? Ideally you want to consume some protein and carbs 1-1.5 hrs before your weight training session. When I do workout in the mornings I consume this shake about 1.5 hrs before my workout: 8oz liquid egg whites, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 cup oats, a few blueberries, 1/2 tbl spoon natty pb, and dash of cinnamon...I blend all of this up and then toss it down the hatch. This blend will give you some fast and slow digesting proteins and carbs and should prevent catabolism during an intense weight training session. I also consume some BCAA's 15 mins before this meal and toward the end of my workout as well. Anyhow, hope this helps!
    Tanks! No I do cardio first thing in the morning only on Sunday. Mon-wed-Friday weight lifting around 4 pm right after work. And after lifting I do cardio. So I spend @ gym about 2 hours. Yes my pre workout meal is 1 hour before port+carb. And pwo the same. After that I don't eat carbs, only morning, pre and post workout.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Tanks! No I do cardio first thing in the morning only on Sunday. Mon-wed-Friday weight lifting around 4 pm right after work. And after lifting I do cardio. So I spend @ gym about 2 hours. Yes my pre workout meal is 1 hour before port+carb. And pwo the same. After that I don't eat carbs, only morning, pre and post workout.
    Good deal

Thread Information