nobbythedonkey is offline Associate Member

Question 3 year progress, time to grow

Over the last 3 years i have dieted down and cut my body fat while trying to gain a bit of muscle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prog.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	121048

my stats

Height 5ft 11inch
    Weight: 77kg
    Body fat %: ???
    Training: I train MMA/Muay Thai 3/4 times a week and do weights (5/3/1 by Jim Wendler) 2 times a week

Weight Loss Diet (around 2000 cals a day):

breakfast:
    4 whole scrambled eggs
    75g Oats with scoop of Manuka Honey

Snack:
    75g Oats in Water mixed with 1 heaped scoop of Gaspari Myofusion Chocolate Flavour

Lunch:
    100g Basmati Brown Rice
    220g Steamed Chicken (with some herb seasonings)

Snack 2:
    75g Oats in Water mixed with 1 heaped scoop of Gaspari Myofusion Chocolate Flavour

Dinner:
    100g Basmati Brown Rice

Pre Workout i take Physical Edge "Rampage"
    Post Workout i take PhD Recovery 2:1

I'm just cutting up a bit more over the next few months as i've got a trip to Thailand in May to do some Muay Thai, after that i want to concentrate on gaining muscle but im not 100% confident i can gain cleanly and would like some advice (i'd hate to go back to picture number 1)

I will be cutting my MMA/Muay Thai training down to 1 hour a week and upping my weights sessions to 4 sessions a week, im more bothered about lean mass and strength, i want to remain lifting following the 5/3/1 program as it works for me and i've seen huge improvments in my strength.

I just have no idea when it comes to lean bulking diet, Can anyone suggest or help construct a lean bulking diet or alter the one above as i enjoy eating it.
    Last edited by nobbythedonkey; 03-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Great job on your transformation!!!!

I don't have the time to put in these days to stay on top of these threads, but the others here will take good care of you. Good luck, and please keep us posted with your progress!

jypoll is offline Member
    can you list macros per meal and total, it is tough to comment with out these

personally i would vary my protein intake, probably not a big deal, but only chicken and the same protein shake is alot of the same.

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Awesome transformation!!! Yea put up macro numbers for each meal it will help. Bulking clean is all about being just a little but above maintenance with ur cals. It looks like you may need some fats I only see the eggs there- maybe some ground beef or steak I do this for one meal every other day. You have an advantage over most because you know this regimented diet works for u to lose weight- so just need to fine tune food choices and bump cals up a bit. Also- try just 1 protein shake per day real food is always better.

sorry about the delay in posting back, i have added the macros

Quote Originally Posted by nobbythedonkey View Post

Weight Loss Diet (around 2000 cals a day):

breakfast:
    4 whole scrambled eggs
    75g Oats with scoop of Manuka Honey
    Calories 691
    protein 36
    carb 53
    fats 37

Snack:
    calories 438
    protein 37
    carbs 54
    fats 8

Lunch:
    100g Basmati Brown Rice
    calories 303
    pro 41
    carb 17 2

Snack 2:
    calories 438
    protein 37
    carbs 54
    fats 8

Dinner:
    100g Basmati Brown Rice
    calories 303
    pro 41
    carb 17 2

Totals:
    calories 2175
    pro 192
    carb 195
    fat 58

Quote Originally Posted by tall76 View Post
    Awesome transformation!!! Yea put up macro numbers for each meal it will help. Bulking clean is all about being just a little but above maintenance with ur cals. It looks like you may need some fats I only see the eggs there- maybe some ground beef or steak I do this for one meal every other day. You have an advantage over most because you know this regimented diet works for u to lose weight- so just need to fine tune food choices and bump cals up a bit. Also- try just 1 protein shake per day real food is always better.
    i will start by replacing my last chicken meal with a red meat meal, steak/beef.

i would also add natural peanut butter or almonds into a couple of meals, if thats advisable which meals would be best ? (the 2 snacks ?)

jypoll is offline Member
    fats are way too high i think. should be around 45,

you have 37g of fat at breakfast which is just about your total daily allowance, make that 1 egg and the rest whites

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yea do what JY said about the eggs/ egg whites. Now with ur current 2200 cals 20% would put you at 49g fats u need. But this is ur cutting diet correct? So if ur losing at 2200 cals- we gotta figure out maintenance level and then need to put in an excess of cals, + 500 would be ideal. I would suggest add 1000 cals to start ur bulk at 3200 cals. So that would be 320g protein, 320g carbs and 71g fats. Remember this is only an estimate and a starting point. Write everything down and take notes so u can adjust up/ down. Being meticulous is the only way to really find out what works or doesn't for ur body.

Thanks for the replys, I'll give it a go, this diet is working well for me, I can lose around 1.5 to 2lbs a week and still keep my strength up, dont feel as though I'm starving my body either

I'll get a diary and keep everything down, where do you suggest I add the extra calories and extra meals in

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Nobby, I'm using this thread in response to your PM as it has more info than the other. So, it looks like you like carbs so let's go with a moderate amount rather than low, but they will drop from the amount above.

Meal 1 - 50g carbs, 50g pro, 10g fat

Pre workout - 60g carbs, 50g pro, minimal fats

Post workout - as pre workout

For your other 3 meals carbs just from fibrous/cruciferous veggies or whatever naturally occurs from your protein sources. Protein in these meals should be 40g each. Fats in these meals 8-10g each

That comes to approx 2100-2200cals.

How does that sound?

Sounds like a plan I will give this a go, thanks for your help steM

No worries mate, if it helps to list the revised diet for analysis do so, if not, your food choices are pretty good anyway.

Keep us updated!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    awesome transformation man! these guys know there stuff and get you anywhere YOU want to be

this is what i have quickly jotted down, ive not had time to workout the exact macros but its a rough idea of whats going through my head, what do you think ? also what about fruits, which should i stay away from and where can i add them if allowed ?

ill be using a commercial "fat burner" to help kill my appatite and up energy, ive tried black coffee but can't stomach it, i drink plenty of water so staying hydrated isnt a problem.

Breakfast
    50g Oats
    1x whole eggs, 5x egg whites scrambled

Snack 1
    2x Scoop MyoFusion in water
    small hand full of almonds

Lunch
    220g Chicken w/ herbs & spices
    1x cup of brocolli

Snack
    220g Chicken
    1 cup of spinich, 1 cup of brocolli

Dinner (pre workout)
    60g Oats in water
    1x Tin of tuna (with balsamic vinegar - possibly)

Post Workout
    Shake with 60g carb, 50g protein

really appreciate all the help.

Looks ok, but list with macro's. 50g of carbs from oats is a weight of 85g according to my info. Though you may just be inferring 50g from oats rather than 50g of oats?! Your breakfast is only giving you about 30g protein. I use liquid egg whites to go with my wole egg and add a protein blend to make up the shortfall in protein.

You look like you will be short on fats too. You should supplement accordingly with fish oils and seeds. Make sure your 'handful' of almonds is weighed out and you know exactly what you are getting.

If you MUST have fruits, blueberries or raspberris at breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Looks ok, but list with macro's. 50g of carbs from oats is a weight of 85g according to my info. Though you may just be inferring 50g from oats rather than 50g of oats?! Your breakfast is only giving you about 30g protein. I use liquid egg whites to go with my wole egg and add a protein blend to make up the shortfall in protein.

You look like you will be short on fats too. You should supplement accordingly with fish oils and seeds. Make sure your 'handful' of almonds is weighed out and you know exactly what you are getting.

If you MUST have fruits, blueberries or raspberris at breakfast.
    The 50g oats I refer to are food weight rather than FROM, so I'll use 85g of in weight of oats, I'll was down my breakfast with a scoop of myofusion, i will sit down today.

The small changes you suggested stem are paying off, I have dropped an extra 3lbs, they say go by your mirror rather than scale, Im happy with my weight, around 73/74kg I just have the little handles on the side.

Is it best to hammer core exercises to try and tighten it up or continue with losing fat

Quote Originally Posted by nobbythedonkey
    The small changes you suggested stem are paying off, I have dropped an extra 3lbs, they say go by your mirror rather than scale, Im happy with my weight, around 73/74kg I just have the little handles on the side.

Is it best to hammer core exercises to try and tighten it up or continue with losing fat
    Pleased its working for you!

Love handles will go down as your fat goes down. No amount of care/ab exercises will make them disappear. Not saying its not a good idea to make sure you train your core/abs though!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thread Information