Thread: Raisin bran

Lil man is offline Associate Member

Raisin bran

What's everyone's take on raisin bran as a carbohydrate source? I love it but am unsure if it by low on gly***ic index. I will google that but I am wondering mostly if there could be a good time to eat it. Post workout, first thing a.m. Etc.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    ^^ funny u mention it i was looking at it yesterday. Id say its NEVER a good time to eat raisin bran from a bodybuilding perspective unless ur on a carb load which allows for a certain amt of sugar.. Raisin bran has more sugar than any other cereal i could find on the shelf.. I think like 20g per serving.. One of those foods thats supposed to be healthy til u read the label..

Damnit!! I love that stuff. Gly***ic index showed 61 which is medium so I was kind of thinking it wasnt the best source but not the worst either. I think I'm trying to talk myself into it

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    i always have to pick out 3/4 of the raisins...way too many and too fvcking hard...but love the bran

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    i always have to pick out 3/4 of the raisins...way too many and too fvcking hard...but love the bran
    Nig that's a good idea. Lol. But why not buy bran flakes and just add desired amount of raisins? That's a good idea. It's the only reason I believe that the GI is that high anyway

i actual DO do that

from a discount grocery store the bran flakes are like a lil over a buck and i always have raisins for my oats so i'm good to go

but sometimes raisin bran goes on sale or bogo and i like kellogs just way to many fvking hard as$ raisins

lmao

keep fightin is offline Associate Member
    Damn those fvking hard as$ raisins! ^^^^

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Make your own oat meal with sultana raisins, this way your macros are under control.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Man, what is it with these threads lately? Raisin Bran, Slim Jim's... neither are the worst foods in the world, but they aren't staple bodybuilding foods either. Raisin Bran is full of sugar, raisins in general are high sugar low nutrient foods. If you want to eat cereal, get something quality and add fresh berries - you'll be a lot better off for it. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Man, what is it with these threads lately? Raisin Bran, Slim Jim's... neither are the worst foods in the world, but they aren't staple bodybuilding foods either. Raisin Bran is full of sugar, raisins in general are high sugar low nutrient foods. If you want to eat cereal, get something quality and add fresh berries - you'll be a lot better off for it. My .02
    you havent been around whoopin our arses reminding us to stay away from the prepackaged shiat

i hate slim jims thank God

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Wouldn't berries have about the same amount of sugars? And being that the bran part is low on gi what makes it so bad?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    you havent been around whoopin our arses reminding us to stay away from the prepackaged shiat

i hate slim jims thank God

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Lil man View Post
    Wouldn't berries have about the same amount of sugars? And being that the bran part is low on gi what makes it so bad?
    Berries have sugar for sure (probably less than raisins on a serving per serving basis), but they're also packed with a ton of antioxidants and other great stuff. My point was that if you're going to have sugar in your diet, go for something that at least provides some benefit along with the sugar, making it a little more worth it IMO.

I never said it was so bad, I just said it's not a staple bodybuilding food. It depends on how hardcore you want to be, and how serious you are. You're rarely going to see the guys that are in great shape eating raisin bran regularly.

Berries have sugar for sure (probably less than raisins on a serving per serving basis), but they're also packed with a ton of antioxidants and other great stuff. My point was that if you're going to have sugar in your diet, go for something that at least provides some benefit along with the sugar, making it a little more worth it IMO.

I never said it was so bad, I just said it's not a staple bodybuilding food. It depends on how hardcore you want to be, and how serious you are. You're rarely going to see the guys that are in great shape eating raisin bran regularly.
    That's some funny ish!!! I understand. I dug a little deeper and you are def right but I just get so bored of the same stuff. To be completely honest tho I wish it was a ls simple as eating the same damn diet everyday so I didn't have to worry about if I was getting the right stuff. It's really hard to have a clean ass diet. I don't mind boring so much but it's aggravating to always have to mix it up so that you get all the essentials. And I'm not so hardcore. I figured out a long time ago that I have some pretty terrible genes and to gain the amount muscle I want I have to gain a certain amount of fat. And even then I still haven't got even close to where I wanna be.

JOCKSOX is offline New Member
    Love it.

DUDE

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Lil man i pretty much eat the same meals everyday.. So do most guys here.. With some small changes.. I have 2-3 main carb sources.. 2or 3 veggies and 3-4 proteins..

Mickthemick is offline Junior Member
    Food is love
    Millions of varietys
    Mmmmmm life is good
    Eat the same thing everyday. You're already dead
    Do you read the same book everyday
    wear the same clothes everyday go the same place everyday
    Arrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh

Kill me now

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    Lil man i pretty much eat the same meals everyday.. So do most guys here.. With some small changes.. I have 2-3 main carb sources.. 2or 3 veggies and 3-4 proteins..
    Are you making fun or being for real? Dude that's terrible. I could do it but damn that's boring. So it seems that if you ate the same things everyday that you would miss out on certain nutrients that all those foods don't offer! Did that make sense?

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman
    i actual DO do that

from a discount grocery store the bran flakes are like a lil over a buck and i always have raisins for my oats so i'm good to go

but sometimes raisin bran goes on sale or bogo and i like kellogs just way to many fvking hard as$ raisins

lmao
    But the raisins in raisin bran are the best part, it wouldnt be the same adding different ones!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyD View Post
    But the raisins in raisin bran are the best part, it wouldnt be the same adding different ones!!
    u must have steel jaws

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman
    u must have steel jaws
    Lol ya they are pretty tough!!

Thread Information