AZArmor is offline New Member

Cutting and fat loss questions?

Hey guys, I've been poking around the forums for the past couple of nights and figured I'd start asking questions. I'm posting this in both this thread and the nutrition because I have questions in both.

Background on me:

I'm a larger guy at 5'8 185-190 lbs about 20% body fat. I've been on a mission to lose weight since I was about 13(I'm 25 now) and after hitting a low of 165 when I was 18 I popped back up to where I'm at now and haven't been able to drop back down since.

To lose the weight originally I started running 5-6 miles a day, when that stopped working I started training in MMA and completed the Insanity and P90x programs(which didn't give many results). I joined the Army reserve and went to basic where I lost a few pounds, but gained them back soon after getting back to normal life once again. Through all of this I got into amazing shape - I can run my two miles in 12:30 and maxing my push ups and sit ups to this day. Despite that, my body fat will not change despite what I do. My diet consists of recipes exclusively out of the Abs Diet cookbook, along with some Naked smoothies and Lean Shake(not sure what company makes it, but I'm sure you've all seen it at the GNC) as snacks and to make sure I'm getting all I need. I use 1.M.R. or B-vitamins as a pre-workout and Gold Standard whey as a post, along with a multivitamin drink called Verve

I've tried hydroxycut with a bit of results, but lost a ton of strength so I quit that. Then I tried OxyElite Pro, but it made me feel like hell, I stopped before results could be realized.

I'm currently doing all of the above and working through Insanity once again(along with some extra running, kickboxing, and rope climbing).

Questions:

Does weight loss work the same as building muscle, in that if you don't rest you won't lose weight?

Could I be over-doing it? I don't take actual rest days - only days where I tone my workouts down to something really light. I usually do anywhere from 45-90 minutes of working out a day, all of which is cardio/calisthenic/plyo.

Is there anything else that could be keeping me from burning fat that I'm not taking into account?

What supplements would you recommend I try?

What changes in my diet and workout regime would you recommend I try?

I'm not considering a cycle yet, but I've decided that if I come to that I'll probably go for Anavar , about 60mgs a day for an 8 week cycle. Would this be advisable to meet my goals? I'd like to lose 25 lbs by the end of October if possible.

The website that this forum is partnered with(Buysteroids.com) whose banner is at the top, are they a legit business? What's your experience with them?

I've been having a bit of pain in my right knee the past week and have settled down on jumping exercises, just wondering if there's anything else I should do to help the tendons and joint heal?

Thanks for reading and helping guys! Much appreciated!
    Last edited by AZArmor; 06-11-2012 at 04:44 PM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    az welcome man from the looks of ur workouts ur doing enuff.. my bet is ur prob isnt ur workout but ur DIET

read stickies:
    1. dieting 101: cutting
    2. TDEE

JohnnnyBlazzze is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Your body needs rest man, taking a full day off, maybe even 2, won't kill you.

As 405 mentioned, your diet will be the most important factor here.

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    Don't do 7 days high intensity. Mix it up and take a day off when you need it. (listen to your body) Rest is important. Mix up your workouts and incorporate sprints. If you do the same intensity all the time your body will adapt. Also post your diet.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by AZArmor View Post
    Hey guys, I've been poking around the forums for the past couple of nights and figured I'd start asking questions. I'm posting this in both this thread and the nutrition because I have questions in both.
    Welcome!

Background on me:

I'm a larger guy at 5'8 185-190 lbs about 20% body fat. I've been on a mission to lose weight since I was about 13(I'm 25 now) and after hitting a low of 165 when I was 18 I popped back up to where I'm at now and haven't been able to drop back down since.
    Noted

To lose the weight originally I started running 5-6 miles a day, when that stopped working I started training in MMA and completed the Insanity and P90x programs(which didn't give many results).
    In terms of what - muscle growth, or fat loss... or both?

I joined the Army reserve and went to basic where I lost a few pounds, but gained them back soon after getting back to normal life once again. Through all of this I got into amazing shape - I can run my two miles in 12:30 and maxing my push ups and sit ups to this day. Despite that, my body fat will not change despite what I do. My diet consists of recipes exclusively out of the Abs Diet cookbook, along with some Naked smoothies and Lean Shake(not sure what company makes it, but I'm sure you've all seen it at the GNC) as snacks and to make sure I'm getting all I need. I use 1.M.R. or B-vitamins as a pre-workout and Gold Standard whey as a post, along with a multivitamin drink called Verve

I've tried hydroxycut with a bit of results, but lost a ton of strength so I quit that. Then I tried OxyElite Pro, but it made me feel like hell, I stopped before results could be realized.

I'm currently doing all of the above and working through Insanity once again(along with some extra running, kickboxing, and rope climbing).
    Plain and simple - you are likely eating too much, regardless of the quality of food. Calories in/calories out isn't everything, but it's the biggest factor by a long shot.

Questions:

Does weight loss work the same as building muscle, in that if you don't rest you won't lose weight?
    Your body needs rest no matter what. Without sufficient rest, your body cannot handle it's daily functions efficiently - whether that be building up muscle, breaking down and mobilizing bodyfat, or a plethora of other things.

Could I be over-doing it? I don't take actual rest days - only days where I tone my workouts down to something really light. I usually do anywhere from 45-90 minutes of working out a day, all of which is cardio/calisthenic/plyo.
    Definitely. Again, i'd look at the diet, specifically caloric intake as a culprit before lack of rest, however that said, I would recommend 1 complete rest day a week. No workouts, no cardio, nothing.

Is there anything else that could be keeping me from burning fat that I'm not taking into account?
    Definitely - hormonal issues and/or imbalance could be one reason, but we wouldn't be able to even speculate on this until we know we have your diet and training in check.

What supplements would you recommend I try?
    IMO, there's only a few necessities - a good multi vitamin/mineral, fish oil, and maybe some addtional vitamin B and C. Protein powder isn't a necessity, but most use it, feel free.

What changes in my diet and workout regime would you recommend I try?
    We'd need to see your complete, detailed diet and workout regimen to comment and advise you on this

I'm not considering a cycle yet, but I've decided that if I come to that I'll probably go for Anavar, about 60mgs a day for an 8 week cycle. Would this be advisable to meet my goals? I'd like to lose 25 lbs by the end of October if possible.
    I wouldn't bother. You should be able to achieve this goal without gear. Anavar isn't the be-all, end-all fat burning anabolic . It's fat burning properties are mild at best, and if the other things aren't in check, it won't do much but burn a hole in your pocket.

The website that this forum is partnered with(Buysteroids.com) whose banner is at the top, are they a legit business? What's your experience with them?
    The company is legit. They do not sell illegal anabolic steroids . If you want more info on this, shoot me a PM.

I've been having a bit of pain in my right knee the past week and have settled down on jumping exercises, just wondering if there's anything else I should do to help the tendons and joint heal?
    Take a rest day for starters! In fact, from the sound of it, you probably need a full week off. Yes, it's a mindfvck (I just took my first in 2 years) but it's a great idea. You will come back refreshed and ready to take on the world.

Thanks for reading and helping guys! Much appreciated!
    Hope this helps, looking forward to more info.

MikeZ91 is offline Junior Member
    Well.. If your doing mostly cardio why are you taking 1.M.R? Thats going to keep you from
    Loosing weight like any pre workout... It don't have as much creatine in it as others but it's still there.. As for protein.. For cutting I prefer a pure isolate.. Gold standard is actually a blended protein( look at the bottle) but from experience it is a horrible protein for cutting or loosing weight for that matter.. Also make sure your diet is right.. And i would hit the weights, doing pure cardio is good but the weight you burn will cut into muscle so it won't be pure fat loss.. Yeah u may gain a few pounds by lifting but you will look better..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ91 View Post
    Well.. If your doing mostly cardio why are you taking 1.M.R? Thats going to keep you from
    Loosing weight like any pre workout. It don't have as much creatine in it as others but it's still there
    Why would a preworkout supp keep anybody from losing weight? I'm pretty sure the OP is concerned with losing bodyfat, not blind weight. If creatine has a negative impact on fat loss, that's news to me. I'd like to see some evidence...

As for protein.. For cutting I prefer a pure isolate.. Gold standard is actually a blended protein( look at the bottle) but from experience it is a horrible protein for cutting or loosing weight for that matter
    Why? I use nothing but protein blends and have no issues cutting. Not for nothing... but you seem to have a lot of issues with losing 'weight' and supplements. Weight/fat loss is achieved through proper diet and training, not supplement A vs. supplement B.

Also make sure your diet is right.. And i would hit the weights
    Now you're making sense!!

doing pure cardio is good but the weight you burn will cut into muscle so it won't be pure fat loss..
    *sigh* and we were doing so well. Cardio doesn't necessarily = LBM loss.

Yeah u may gain a few pounds by lifting but you will look better..
    Agreed

MikeZ91 is offline Junior Member
    Well I guess for some of those things I should of changed "would" with "could". From experience: pre workouts tend to hold in that water weight which yes is just water weight... But if he having weight issues, the water and possible bloating from pres can be misleading and disappointing.. As for isolate vs. blend.. Isolate is without a doubt better for loosing weight.. Can you use a blend? Yes... But I prefer an isolate.. And will pure cardio Deff burn into muscle.. But 45+ min cardio depending on how he pushes it.. I would say would burn into muscle... before the marine corps I was 5'8 270lbs. Now I'm 5'9 165lbs.. Did that in about a year and half... That's my experience with loosing weight.. Of course I ha a hard core diet too but ya kno

Well I guess for some of those things I should of changed "would" with "could".
    That'd be a good start. Blanket statements and absolutes don't fly well around here without something to back them up.

From experience: pre workouts tend to hold in that water weight which yes is just water weight... But if he having weight issues, the water and possible bloating from pres can be misleading and disappointing
    Agreed - and this is why it's important that we learn to 'listen' to our bodies, and understand how to measure our progress as opposed to jumping on a scale... and subsequently out the window - because we're up a pound from last week while cutting. Personally, I don't bother with the scale anymore other than for shits and giggles, and/or as part of a system, i.e. pictures/mirror, fitting of clothes, measurements, etc.

As for isolate vs. blend.. Isolate is without a doubt better for loosing weight..
    I'm still waiting for you to back this up... or at least explain to me why you feel this is the case.

Can you use a blend? Yes
    Glad you think so... I cut to my avy BF using nothing but blends (where protein powders are concerned). Based on your blanket statement, imagine how much better I could have done had I used nothing but WPI?!?

But I prefer an isolate
    So because you prefer it means it is "without a doubt" better for loosing weight?

And will pure cardio Deff burn into muscle.. But 45+ min cardio depending on how he pushes it.. I would say would burn into muscle...
    So if I wake up at 6am, eat a meal, then go to the gym and do low-moderate intensity cardio... let's say a brisk walk... 4.0mph at a 4.0 incline... you think i'll burn muscle?

before the marine corps I was 5'8 270lbs. Now I'm 5'9 165lbs.. Did that in about a year and half... That's my experience with loosing weight.. Of course I ha a hard core diet too but ya kno
    Congrats on that! You grew an inch in that year and a half? What were you, 15 when you joined the corps?!?!

AZArmor is offline New Member
    Ok guys, sorry for the wait on posting my diet, life got in the way for a couple of days there. My diet is currently something like this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 banana, cup of skim milk with 1 scoop leanshake (322 cal, 28g Pro, 72g Carb, 33g sug, 11g Fat)

Snack: Multivitamin drink(Bod-E by Vemma), 1 stalk celery w/ 1 tbs peanut butter: (212 cal, 25g pro, 15g carb, 7g sug, 8 fat)

Lunch: Chewy Bar, 2 scoop Leanshake, 1 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup broccoli, 1 large chicken thigh (407 cal, 30g Pro, 82g Carb, 5g sugar, 7g Fat)

Snack: 1 slice wheat bread, 1 tbs peanut butter (160 cal, 7g Pro, 15g Carb, 3g sugar, 9g Fat) follwed by my preworkout about an hour later, and my workout beging about 20 minutes after that.

Workout: Insanity(approx 45 minutes of intense cardio/plyo/calisthenic) followed by a 3-4 mile run(35 minutes of moderate cardio) OR 3 sets to failure on push ups and dips/sit ups and flutterkicks OR one class at my MMA gym(I alternate, every day insanity, one day run, one day failure sets, one day MMA, one day nothing in between, etc). I imagine this burns 800-1100 calories per day

Post workout shake + Multivitamin pill: (250 cal, 48g Pro, 8g Carb, 2g sug, 2g Fat)

Dinner: 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup green beans, 1 large steak, 1 large chicken thigh, water w/ whey: (750 cal, 68g Pro, 59g Carb, 3g sugar, 28g Fat)

Total: (2001 cal, 207g Pro, 251g Carb, 53g sugar, 65g Fat)
    Add a couple hundred calories as I usually cheat and have something sweet or a little larger portions each day at some point, depends on how hungry or weak willed I am.
    Last edited by AZArmor; 06-14-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Diet looks kinda junk IMO to be honest. I'd start with cutting down on the sugar - I always aim to keep it under 20g/day. You can start by dropping the chewy bars and milk. Also, those 'snacks' are pretty useless. Right now I am IF'ing, but this is similar to what my cutting diet used to look like (sans macros, because I don't remember offhand):

5am - Meal 1 (preworkout):
    1/2 cup oats w/ 1/2 cup blueberries OR 1/2 of a banana
    1/2 cup 1% milkfat cottage cheese
    1 scoop protein powder (blend such as Myofusion or ON Pro Complex) OR 1 whole egg + 5 whites
    3 fish oil caps

8am - Meal 2 (post workout):
    2 scoops protein powder (50% casein, 50% Myofusion blend)
    1/2 cup oats

10am - Meal 3
    8oz grilled chicken breast
    150g of potato (white or sweet) OR 1/2 cup (dry measure) rice (brown, basmati, jasmine, etc)
    1 cup veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, brussell sprouts, etc)
    3 fish oil caps

1pm - Meal 4
    7oz 95/5 lean ground beef
    1 cup veggies
    3 fish oil caps

4pm - Meal 5
    8oz grilled chicken or fish (tilapia, snapper, etc)
    1 cup veggies
    3 fish oil caps

7pm - Meal 6
    8oz grilled chicken or fish, OR 7oz lean steak (top round, flank, etc)
    1 cup veggies
    3 fish oil caps

8pm - Meal 7 (bedtime)
    1/2 cup 1% milkfat cottage cheese
    1 scoop protein powder (Myofusion)
    1tbsp natty PB

Very clean, carbs focused around my workouts. This changed based on my workout schedule however, i.e. I was carb cycling - so I'd have days with zero starchy carbs, and also incorporated 1 refeed day (high carb) per week on Sunday (no training or cardio).

Just giving you an example of a balanced, clean diet. No chewy bars, no 'leanshakes' (what is that?), no bread with peanut butter pretending to be a meal etc..

Hope this helps.

Thread Information